Sign in with
Your question

PS3 slim - hook up an extra fan for case mod

Last response: in Components
September 25, 2010 7:37:11 PM

Hi
I need help too understand if its possible in some way to get power for another fan from the ps3 psu or from the pins for the existing fan (without removing the original fan, that is two fans on the same pins). It will probably be a 80mm or 120 mm fan with a Zalman Fanmate running at about 5-7V. What are the limits for Volts and Watts here? And how big are the risks. The built in fan says 12V, 1.3A on the label but I don't know anything about the specs for the fan pins (three pins).

I use my ps3 slim for casual gaming mostly but its also our only machine for bluray and dvd. I'd like to try to make it more silent (and cool as a bonus). It's in the living room so I often play with sound muted and during calm films the noise can be a bit disturbing. My idea is to remove the top lid and put it in a home made MDF-board box with an extra 80mm fan in the back, hoping that the increased airflow and space would fix the heat accumulation and keep the fan from moving up to the highest rpms. Also hoping the MDF-board will cut some of the noise itself. If it doesn't work I'll just put the lid back and realize I wasted half a day (again) on some crazy project.

More about : ps3 slim hook extra fan case mod

September 25, 2010 7:52:18 PM

You could cut the end off a USB cable and just connect the appropriate +5v and Gnd (Should be red and black, green and white are data IIRC), and then have a 5v fan powered by USB. That'd be easy and non-permanent.
September 25, 2010 8:50:35 PM

Pyroflea said:
You could cut the end off a USB cable and just connect the appropriate +5v and Gnd (Should be red and black, green and white are data IIRC), and then have a 5v fan powered by USB. That'd be easy and non-permanent.

Thanks, that's a great idea.

Are the usb ports powerful enough to run a standard fan though? I have an old 120mm papst fan that says 7-14V, .105A 1.25W. Will it even start? I will be warm in there if it doesn't. Do you think it would move reasonably much air when it runs? And can I be sure it doesn't overload the usb in the long run (should be ok I guess looking at the numbers).

Still, I can try it right away I guess, before trying to build the case, just have the fan lying beside and observe. Thanks again.
!