Pentium D T4300 One core working harder?

7blades

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2008
Hi there,

ive been using my mother-in-laws laptop and it seems when im using speedfan, that one core is working harder than the other. Core one is basically doing nothing and core 2 is doing all the work. Core 1 does work, ive used multiple programs and it seems to work a bit harder, but still not as hard as it should.
i thought that if you have two cores, that they would take about equal amount s of work to ease the strain, am i correct?

so is this any problem? or am i just worrying over nothing lol

the laptop is an Acer Aspire 5738Z with a Pentium D T4300 2.1GHZ Processor. If you need any more spec, let me know.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Many thanks!

7blades

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2008

thanks for the reply. if theyre both not working at 100% what does it mean? or will it tell me when im using it?
thanks~

7blades

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2008
right well both of the cpus are at 100% while the stress test is on. but the temperatures are currently reading core1: 63c core2: 85c. which is a combined temp of 128c!! surely that should be burning through the laptop casing eh? lol but it still seems that core2 is working harder than core1. right now the 2nd core is 45% and core 1 is 5%

any more suggestions?

Timop

Distinguished
You don't combine temps like that. Like you don't say a metal rod is 100C when one side is 40c and the other side is 60C.

You're fine, It seems like what you're doing is only using one core.

7blades

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2008
LMAO yeah i know that i was joking about the temperature being 128c, if it was i'd have melted my legs off with it sat in my lap!! lol

ok cool, i just thought it was odd to have one core working harder than the other. i assumed they were supposed to work about equal strength

damasvara

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010

Core utilization depends on the software being used itself. Simple software (office, picture viewer) usually only use 1 core. While graphic designing, gaming, and video editing (multi-threaded applications) usually benefits from and utilizes more cores. It's pretty simple actually. Just like Timop said, nothing to worry about. You're all good. :D

7blades

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2008

hahaha ahh i see, thanks for the clear up guys :D