SLI capable PSU

I was wondering if my future PC's PSU will be capable of running 2 nVidia GTX460 768MB cards in SLI.

The PSU is a Seasonic M12II-520 Bronze 520W
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151093

Thanks in advance!
9 answers Last reply
More about capable
  1. With its 40 amps on the combined + 12 volt rails it should be able to although only 520 total watts.
  2. rolli59 said:
    With its 40 amps on the combined + 12 volt rails it should be able to although only 520 total watts.


    Yeah, I was worried about the peak load consumption; maybe the 520W it has is not really enough. Was thinking of:

    CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139005
  3. Well during a game, my GTX 460 (new) at 768mb pulls around 220-250watt, this isn't on full load. So 520 might be able to, maybe it will, but I'd get something beefier like a 650watt just to be safe and have some overhead.
  4. blackhawk1928 said:
    Well during a game, my GTX 460 (new) at 768mb pulls around 220-250watt, this isn't on full load. So 520 might be able to, maybe it will, but I'd get something beefier like a 650watt just to be safe and have some overhead.


    I think I'll get the 650W SLI Certified Corsair. It has 52A on the 12V rail. Will that be enough for GTX460 in SLI?

    Thanks in advance!
  5. AHHHH!!!! I apoligize, i didn't mean my GTX460 pulls 220-250watt...i meant my whole system. The GTX pulled a lot less probably. So considering, I have an i7 920, 3 sticks of DDR3 ram, 1 HDD and 1 SSD, 3 250mm fans+1 140mm with a DVD drive and my p6t MB, if I game, then it pulls 220-250watt!

    Therefore, even we assume that the GTX460 was not even used during the game<lol...then 650-250=400watts overhead. 400watts would be enough for two whole 460's as their max power consumption is 160watts. But seeing how during gaming, my 460 is obviously in use...I think a 650watt can should be able to easily power 2 GTX460's IMO. Maybe i'm missing something.
  6. On a recent post of my own asking about the same question someone posted that a corsair tx650w would be enough to run two GTX 460. You MAY have to purchase 2 more connections due to the fact that it only comes with 2 6+2 connections and each 460 takes 2 ;)
  7. nged72 said:
    On a recent post of my own asking about the same question someone posted that a corsair tx650w would be enough to run two GTX 460. You MAY have to purchase 2 more connections due to the fact that it only comes with 2 6+2 connections and each 460 takes 2 ;)


    OK. So the 650W Corsair should be enough for 2 cards. I know it comes with only 2 PCIe 6+2 cables, but 2 cards would require 4 cables and I need that molex to pcie adapter, but will the molex rail be sufficient for the cards? Should I power each card with a factory 6+2 cable and a modified molex-to-pcie cable, or should i use the 2 factory cables on one card and power the second one with the 2 molex adaptors?
  8. The corsair 650 is a single +12 volt rail PSU so it does not matter what connection the power comes from. I would use one PCIe and one molex connection to each card.
  9. Ok.
    I will do as you say.
    Thanks a lot!
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies SLI Nvidia Components Product