Sign in with
Your question

TVs As Moniters

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 16, 2010 1:58:55 PM

Hello,

Currently i have a 21.5 inch Samsung monitor running 1680 x 1050 at 60Hz on a Quad Core q9550 with 4 gig of ram. The video card i am running is a 9800 GTX + amp and i am working off windows XP pro. I am wishing to upgrade my monitor to something bigger as i am a firm believer in the more workspace you have the more you can get done.

I have been looking at 23 inch monitors and 24 inch monitors although i think i might want more real estate then a mear 2 or 3 inches, the 27 inch monitors in which are 1080p retail for about 550 dollars Australian which is getting rather high in price. I have been considering getting a 32 1080p tv and using this as my monitor although this might be excessive, though i do get a tv and a moniter in one for around AU $1000.

My problem with using a TV as a monitor especial in the 32inch range is i sit very close to my desk no closer then 2 or 3 feet away from the monitor. At this range the monitor might be to big and appear very pixelated, as 32 inch monitors not TV have a much higer resolution then TV counterpart.

Does any one have any experience with using large TV's as moniters or does any one have any suggestion to solve my problem. ?

More about : tvs moniters

June 16, 2010 3:44:34 PM

I use my 52" to view web pages,streaming video,BluRay movies and general surfing. Some text is difficult to read from 5-10 feet away. Use this addess to determine max screen size. reviews.cnet.com/4520-7608_7-1016109-2.html

Also consider that the flat screens are thin and can be pushed to the back of the desk or wall mounted.

A problem being too close is that your eyes have to dart back and forth across the screen to see all the action. If your working with 3 open drawings it's not a problem.
Also consider upgrading to two graphics cards and two small monitors.

a b Î Nvidia
a b C Monitor
June 16, 2010 4:02:31 PM

I'd probably go with a big monitor. More area doesn't really mean more workspace if it's at the same resolution... things will just appear larger. Anyway, an HDTV works fine although I tried plugging my PC into my 40" Samsung tv and sitting at the couch text was hard to read and I think in general the colour and contrast isn't as good on a TV.
June 16, 2010 4:37:54 PM

Thanks fells,

mhelm1 much point in having 2 video cards for 2 monitors ?, most video cards either have 2 DVI, DVI and HDMI, or D-SUB or other combinations allowing for multiple monitors ? or the Ifinity system by ATI and AMD.

Wolfram23 you are correct about the resolution and workspace, so what ever i get i really have to make sure it supports a higher resolution.

I would love one of the 32 inc dell monitors which has a resolution of like 2500 x 2000 although they cost a mint.
!