Auto update, taskbar

April 15, 2005 6:14:42 PM

Hi. When I connect to the Internet, the little download windows update
gold shield icon appears in my taskbar. But only for a few moments. It
then disappears and my connection icon stops showing activity. Even if
I disconnect/reconnect my isp, the icon won't reappear until I reboot my
machine.

The mouse cursor shows the download icon at 11% completed. Why does the
download stop? How should I complete the windows update?

More about : auto update taskbar

Anonymous
April 15, 2005 6:14:43 PM

Does the error log show you anything?
Do you see the Windows update Automatic Update process in the process list
after the golden icon has disppeared?
Do a netstat -nob to see if your PC is still connected to MS website for
patch downloads.

Do you have enough space on your disk for the download of the patch?
Check the status of the Automatic Updates Service on your computer. Is it
running afte rthe icon disppears?

- V

"Dennis Allen" wrote:

> Hi. When I connect to the Internet, the little download windows update
> gold shield icon appears in my taskbar. But only for a few moments. It
> then disappears and my connection icon stops showing activity. Even if
> I disconnect/reconnect my isp, the icon won't reappear until I reboot my
> machine.
>
> The mouse cursor shows the download icon at 11% completed. Why does the
> download stop? How should I complete the windows update?

Anonymous
April 15, 2005 8:12:33 PM

Appreciate the reply.

"Vikram Thakur" <VikramThakur@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:02E46379-AF7F-4987-AF02-A6AB35F5BFCD@microsoft.com...
> Does the error log show you anything?

Where do I look for the error log?

> Do you see the Windows update Automatic Update process in the process
> list
> after the golden icon has disppeared?

I've looked in the [ctrl]-[alt]-[del] windows task manager, under
processes. I see a msimn.exe at the top, administrative. No cpu
activity.

> Do a netstat -nob to see if your PC is still connected to MS website
> for
> patch downloads.

It says msimn.exe state is ESTABLISHED.

> Do you have enough space on your disk for the download of the patch?

93Gig free.

> Check the status of the Automatic Updates Service on your computer. Is
> it
> running afte rthe icon disppears?

Where do I check that?

> "Dennis Allen" wrote:
>
>> Hi. When I connect to the Internet, the little download windows
>> update
>> gold shield icon appears in my taskbar. But only for a few moments.
>> It
>> then disappears and my connection icon stops showing activity. Even
>> if
>> I disconnect/reconnect my isp, the icon won't reappear until I reboot
>> my
>> machine.
>>
>> The mouse cursor shows the download icon at 11% completed. Why does
>> the
>> download stop? How should I complete the windows update?

April 16, 2005 2:06:17 PM

netstat -noa ???

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:02E46379-AF7F-4987-AF02-A6AB35F5BFCD@microsoft.com,
Vikram Thakur <VikramThakur@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> Does the error log show you anything?
> Do you see the Windows update Automatic Update process in the process list
> after the golden icon has disppeared?
> Do a netstat -nob to see if your PC is still connected to MS website for
> patch downloads.
>
> Do you have enough space on your disk for the download of the patch?
> Check the status of the Automatic Updates Service on your computer. Is it
> running afte rthe icon disppears?
>
> - V
>
> "Dennis Allen" wrote:
>
>> Hi. When I connect to the Internet, the little download windows update
>> gold shield icon appears in my taskbar. But only for a few moments. It
>> then disappears and my connection icon stops showing activity. Even if
>> I disconnect/reconnect my isp, the icon won't reappear until I reboot my
>> machine.
>>
>> The mouse cursor shows the download icon at 11% completed. Why does the
>> download stop? How should I complete the windows update?
Anonymous
April 16, 2005 5:40:27 PM

Late last night, the auto update finally worked. What a trial!

At 37%, it stopped downloading. When I tried to reboot, my machine
tried to install what it had. Kept bouncing between screens [installing
update 1 of 1] and [do not turn off computer]. After a half hour, I
turned off my machine. Upon reboot, however, the auto update completed
it's downloads. Had 5 sets of updates. So far so good.

This isn't the first time that gold shield icon started downloading then
gave up. Question. Does it check for network traffic? If too heavy,
tries another time?
!