Sign in with
Your question

Faulty HP Laptop - Defective Intel(R) 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset !

Last response: in Motherboards
May 10, 2011 4:34:00 PM

I got an hp dv6-6016tx laptop on 23rd april 2011. it has the defective cougar point chipset. I want help from you guys in confirming the same. i have made some screenshots of my system which proves that the chipset is defective. here is the link of those proofs in a Proof.zip.

Proof.zip link: http://www.mediafire.com/?pqme75wntd9sh5o

Below is a copy of the mail i sent to hp yesterday and till now i havnt got a reply:
Here are the details:
Quote:

Product Name: HP Pavilion DV6 Notebook PC.
Serial Number: 5CH11110G8
Product Number: LQ457PA#ACJ
Date Of Purchase: 23-April-2011
Point Of Purchase: RS Computer World, Malekpet, Hyderabad.

I have approached numerous channels of HP and most of them were unaware of the chipset issue and passed on contradictory statements. This ensures that HP personnel are ill informed about the issue.

1. HP Page Link For This Issue:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02...

Under this if the chipset is “Intel® 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family” then my system may be affected, Ofcource this proves that HP is unsure and has not kept track of defective chipsets.
Also we cant rely only on the serial number verification as we will have to use a combination of both the clauses.

2. I even had a chat session with intel customer support and he has verified that the system is faulty. (Please check Proof11.jpg and Proof8.jpg in the Proof.zip)

3. Softpedia Page Link For This Issue:
http://news.softpedia.com/news/How-to-Find-Out-if-Your-...

Even in this method the revision id has come out to be 4 and it is defective. (Check Proof7.jpg in Proof.zip)

4. I have used CPU-Z v1.57.1 and it reports B2 stepping which corresponds to the defective chipset. (Please see Proof6.jpg in Proof.zip)

5. Check Link1 and Link2. Link1 corresponds to HP site and Link2 that of intel website.
Link1: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02...
Link2: http://www.intel.com/consumer/products/processors/chips...

Under both it is mentioned that “Intel® 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family” is or maybe defective. (Please see Proof5.jpg in Proof.zip, for a snapshot of my system.)

6. Used hwinfo hardware utility to identify the revision. It comes to B2 which corresponds to defective chipset. (Please see Proof9.jpg in Proof.zip.)

It is mentioned in hp and intel website that 3rd party softwares may not report the stepping revision correctly. Please give me an application which can report it correcty. Prove that iam using an updated chipset with B3 revision, as now i dont trust Hp personnels due to lack of transparency. You saying that the serial number proves that it is unaffected in unjustified as the customer support personnel and even the admin of hp support forums have indicated that we have to use the combination of serial number and device manager technique and we cant rely only on one clause.

Now let me get to the point. This laptop doesnt uses port 2-5. HDD and DVD drive will be configured in SATA2 - Port0 & 1 configuration. So HDD test or any kind of test will not report the issue as no device is connected to the affected port.
Intel has resumed shipment of defective chipsets for systems not affected by the design issue. Below is the link:

Link: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Sandy-Bridge-Cougar-Po...

Now in future i may choose to use SATA2 Port 2-5 and they are defective. How can anyone say that iam not affected?
Let me clear u with a simple example: You went to buy a television set. The volume and channel change buttons on the tv set are faulty ( These buttons are rarely used by the users, as most of us uses the buttons on remote control). So will you buy the tv set?
It doesnt matter if iam affected or not. The bottom line is that my system has a dead transistor in its chipset and i had paid the same amount of money as of the non faulty system, a whopping 47k.

Now its been long since i have registered the case, and iam not getting any positive replies from HP. During my first few calls to hp customer care, i was informed 3 times that you dont have to worry, your system will be replaced. Ofcourse they also read the HP site link about the issue. They recognized the issue. why there is difference in comprehension of that webpage between you and HP customer care?

I have also approached admins and mods of HP forum but didnt get a satisfactory reply. Everyone seems to be confused.

Apart from this there are some other issues with the system as follows:
a) Hard disk makes sound while in heavy usage. This is an indication of a damaged HDD. ( The Read head in the HDD is touching the disk surface)
b) My system has crashed 2 times, without any changed done my me. I restored it by system restore in safe mode.
c) Yesterday the system hung while i was watching HD movie. I have to cold start the system again.
d) There are over heating issues with the system. Specially the left side of the palm rest is so hot that i cant lay my palm on it.
e) The system fan runs continuously , even though i have disabled the option "AlwaysOn on power" in the system bios"
f) sometimes the keypress in the keyboard is missed. this has happened only 4 times in 3 weeks period of use.

guys plz help me.
May 10, 2011 5:40:11 PM

Here are the pics in Proof.zip that i have uploaded in image uploading site as many of u may feel the concern of virus in downloading that file.

here they are:

Proof5.jpg

Proof6.jpg

Proof7.jpg

Proof8.jpg

Proof9.jpg

Proof11.jpg
m
l
May 10, 2011 6:29:40 PM

btw can anyone of u decode the serial numbers of hp laptops?

mine serial number is 5CH11110G8. may i know what does it tell about the manufacturing date, place of manufacturing etc?
m
l
August 11, 2011 9:52:44 AM

hey man , thanks a lot for your posts about faulty chipsets ,,, hey i am buying dv6 6121tx model does this also have that issue? if yes then how can i look for it before hand ..
m
l
!