Your question
Solved

Computer for Final Fantasy XIV

Last response: in Systems
July 24, 2010 2:24:32 PM

Approximate Build Date: Mid August - Late August

Budget: $1,000 -- 1,500

System Uses:

-- MMO Gaming (Final Fantasy XIV, Lord of the Rings Online, World of Warcraft, etc.)

-- Video Editing (Very mild, generally SD video currently, usually 1 - 5 minute clips although this may change to 5 - 10 minute stuff if I get a different camera then I have. Also interested in getting something that will let me take footage inside the games I play. Yet again: this is all secondary to being able to play the games.)

-- Surfing the web, working on writing stuff, chatting on MSN, using Ventrilo, etc.

Parts not required: I already have a 37" HDTV that I will be using as a monitor. I may also end up keeping my wireless logitech keyboard and mouse, depends on whether I see something I would prefer or if my father, who is getting my current PC, would rather get his own mouse / keyboard. Mine still works fabulous.

Preferred Website: I am having my computer made at Canada Computers. Their website can be found at http://www.canadacomputers.com. I will be going to their store in Kingston.

Preferences: I have a long history of using AMD and ATI stuff, although I am far from tech savvy enough to argue if someone lists intel or Nvidia products. I want to be able to use wireless internet. I want USB ports and hopefully a mic & headphone connection on the front / near the front of the PC as reaching around the back can be annoying. I want a "normal" sized case; not something huge and not a tiny one.

Overclocking: 9 chances out of 10 I will be leaving everything the way it is when I get the machine. I am not a really tech savvy person and I would not want to make my computer explode. ;) 

SLI / Crossfire: If it comes with it sure, but if its something I'm going to fool around with every 5 minutes then its not for me. I honestly think I would feel more comfortable just running one good video card then trying to run two to get a certain result.

Additional: The convenience of being able to connect things that I mentioned higher up is very important. I am mainly focused on having 'solid' graphics and a good frame rate. I am legally blind so keep in mind that I will be playing my games at whatever setting lets me see text and stuff the clearest (for example in World of Warcraft I think that is 1024 x 768.)

One thing I am very curious about is how the differences between an ATI Radeon 5770, 5850 and 5870 would effect how 'differently' I would want to build the rest of my computer? Does it change everything or is it just a matter of how much I would want to spend on a card? (Should I be ignoring ATI cards entirely and going with Nvidia since they appear to be partnered with Square Enix with regards to the Benchmark and therefore I am guessing FFXIV?)

Thanks for your time & have a great day! :) 
Anonymous
July 24, 2010 3:49:34 PM

CPU: Phenom II X4 965 - $179.99
Very fast quad core processor.

Motherboard: ASUS M4A87TD - $99.99
Great board, supports everything you need and has SATA 6GB/s and USB 3.0 which will be useful in the future.

RAM: OCZ 4GB Kit DDR3 1600MHz - $174.99
Very high speed, 4GB is enough for now.

Graphics Card: XFX HD 5870 1GB - $379.99
Very good card, will be more than enough for a long time considering which resolutions you will be playing games at.

Hard Drive: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - $74.99
Fast, spacious drive. Will be used for storing the majority of your data.

Solid-State Drive: Western Digital 128GB - $199.99
Not sure if you know any of this so I'll say it anyway. This is a solid-state drive which means it is about 3x faster than a hard drive. However, SSDs are too expensive to be used as the primary means of storage so instead you can install Windows on here and use it for stuff that you use a lot or stuff which you want the fastest access to. Everything else goes on the 1TB hard drive.

Optical Drive: Lite-On 24x DVD RW - $17.99
Cheap, does the job. Don't need to spend more money on this.

Power Supply: Corsair 650TX - $89.99
Enough power and connections for your system, won't have to worry about anything with this. Corsair is one of the most reliable companies for PSUs.

Case: Coolermaster HAF 922 - $89.98
Great case; looks good and cools very well, spacious too.

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit OEM - $99.99
Same old really. No reason to spend more and get Pro or Ultimate.

Total: $1317.90 - you've got a bit of room left over if you want to upgrade one or two things :) 

Yes, this will do everything you want amazingly fast. Considering you are playing games at what would normally be considered such a low resolution, you'll be able to play these sorts of games on high settings for 5 years, if not more.

As for your graphics cards questions:

By changing between all of those cards it won't affect what the rest of your system is like. The only reason you will need to change your system based on the graphics card is if you are using Crossfire or SLI, in which case you will need a compatible motherboard. Changing brands does not mean you need to change the brands of your motherboard or anything else either; all of the parts I have suggested would work perfectly with a Nvidia card but at this price the 5870 is the best card you can get. As for ignoring ATI and going with Nvidia, no, you shouldn't be doing that. Nvidia may have a partnership with Square Enix but that doesn't mean anything about how their graphics cards will perform in Square Enix games. Both ATI and Nvidia design their cards to work with any game.
m
l
July 24, 2010 3:54:34 PM

Anonymous said:
Stuff.

m
l
Related resources
Anonymous
July 24, 2010 4:03:00 PM

gimme 10 mins

sorry
m
l
July 24, 2010 4:08:27 PM

Hey, I'm planning to play FF14 so I had to check this thread out too. I've checked out some of the setups for people who scored extremely high on the benchmark and a lot of them are with the 5870 or 5970. So don't worry about that...it's not a must to get nvidia only.
m
l

Best solution

Anonymous
July 24, 2010 4:31:47 PM

CPU: Phenom II X4 965 - $181.99

Motherboard: ASUS M4A87TD - $108.99
Great board, supports everything you need and has SATA 6GB/s and USB 3.0 which will be useful in the future.

RAM: Mushkin 4GB Kit DDR3 1600MHz - $102.99

Graphics Card: XFX HD 5870 1GB - $391.99
Very good card, will be more than enough for a long time considering which resolutions you will be playing games at.

Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - $79.99

Solid-State Drive: Western Digital 128GB - $209.99
Not sure if you know any of this so I'll say it anyway. This is a solid-state drive which means it is about 3x faster than a hard drive. However, SSDs are too expensive to be used as the primary means of storage so instead you can install Windows on here and use it for stuff that you use a lot or stuff which you want the fastest access to. Everything else goes on the 1TB hard drive.

Optical Drive: Sony 24x DVD RW - $19.99

Power Supply: Corsair 650TX - $94.99
Enough power and connections for your system, won't have to worry about anything with this. Corsair is one of the most reliable companies for PSUs.

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit OEM - $104.99

Total: $1385.89 CAD

Prices and links changed to Canadian. Sorry about that; I'm so used to suggesting US builds that I kind of go automatically to Newegg USA. I'm not actually from the US myself, I'm British :lol: 
July 24, 2010 5:15:29 PM

Anonymous said:
CPU: Phenom II X4 965 - $181.99

Motherboard: ASUS M4A87TD - $108.99

RAM: Mushkin 4GB Kit DDR3 1600MHz - $102.99

Graphics Card: XFX HD 5870 1GB - $391.99

Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - $79.99

Solid-State Drive: Western Digital 128GB - $209.99

Optical Drive: Sony 24x DVD RW - $19.99

Power Supply: Corsair 650TX - $94.99

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit OEM - $104.99

Total: $1385.89 CAD

Prices and links changed to Canadian. Sorry about that; I'm so used to suggesting US builds that I kind of go automatically to Newegg USA. I'm not actually from the US myself, I'm British :lol: 

Whoa, there's a Newegg Canada?

Sorry, I just remember looking up Newegg's shipping policies for something a while back and saw "No international shipping!" Didn't realize that there was a different domain for the same company.

Anyways, yeah, as said above; games that are in Nvidia's "THE WAY IT'S MEANT TO BE PLAYED" or whatever it is promo line aren't really OPTIMIZED for Nvidia or anything like that; graphics cards are universal, so long as you have the right motherboard to use them.

Other people can give you parts advice, so I'll just chime in with general advice: If you want a relatively low-budget gaming rig that still has good performance, you can't go wrong with AMD processors and ATI GPUs. Don't let the idea of 'more expensive is better' float into your head. I'll grant you that Intel processors are more powerful than their AMD counterparts, on average, but AMD and ATI parts also run cooler compared to Intel and Nvidia, at least from what I know. While the AMDs don't have the same raw performance, they are most definitely bigger bangs for your buck (usually stuff like being half the price but losing only a quarter of the performance, etc.) And of course, ATI GPUs match their Nvidia counterparts just fine.

Since you're having a computer MADE at some company, I'll assume you don't have the technical experience to do it yourself, which is perfectly fine. However, you can shave a hundred, maybe 2 hundred, Canadian bucks off of your final build price by buying your own stuff and then finding a local computer 'repair' service. More often than not, they'll be perfectly able and willing to build a comp for you if you provide parts, and while you still pay extra for their services, I guarantee that acquiring parts through Newegg directly will mitigate that enough to save you money compared to just letting the builders get the parts and build it all in one location. Use Google Maps, check the websites of these companies under the "services" tab (if they have them), if they have anything relating to hardware installation or system construction, shoot them an email and just ask if they can make a full build for you.
m
l
Anonymous
July 24, 2010 5:51:31 PM

+1 on everything you've said :) 
m
l
July 30, 2010 8:13:59 PM

In response to Dangermans post, is the graphics card and ram compatible with each other? The components looks good, im just curious about compatibility issues here

Anonymous said:
CPU: Phenom II X4 965 - $179.99

Motherboard: ASUS M4A87TD - $99.99

RAM: OCZ 4GB Kit DDR3 1600MHz - $174.99

Graphics Card: XFX HD 5870 1GB - $379.99

Hard Drive: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - $74.99

Solid-State Drive: Western Digital 128GB - $199.99

Optical Drive: Lite-On 24x DVD RW - $17.99

Power Supply: Corsair 650TX - $89.99

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit OEM - $99.99

Total: $1317.90 - you've got a bit of room left over if you want to upgrade one or two things :) 

Yes, this will do everything you want amazingly fast. Considering you are playing games at what would normally be considered such a low resolution, you'll be able to play these sorts of games on high settings for 5 years, if not more.

As for your graphics cards questions:

By changing between all of those cards it won't affect what the rest of your system is like. The only reason you will need to change your system based on the graphics card is if you are using Crossfire or SLI, in which case you will need a compatible motherboard. Changing brands does not mean you need to change the brands of your motherboard or anything else either; all of the parts I have suggested would work perfectly with a Nvidia card but at this price the 5870 is the best card you can get. As for ignoring ATI and going with Nvidia, no, you shouldn't be doing that. Nvidia may have a partnership with Square Enix but that doesn't mean anything about how their graphics cards will perform in Square Enix games. Both ATI and Nvidia design their cards to work with any game.

m
l
Anonymous
July 30, 2010 9:59:31 PM

The graphics card and RAM don't need to be compatible with each other, but they both need to be compatible with the motherboard. In this case, of course, they are, and I'm sure someone else can confirm that for me.
m
l
August 9, 2010 12:09:51 AM

Best answer selected by ladybastilla.
m
l
!