1st attempt Gaming Build(under $1400)

kefka

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2010
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Hoping for soon, but could wait until late august/early september

BUDGET RANGE: up to $1350 or so before rebates(my current list is @ $1352 with shipping)

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming, internets, light photoshop & premiere usage(side projects for fun, not a key issue)

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Keyboard, mouse, speakers

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg.com

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN:

PARTS PREFERENCES: AMD, could switch to Intel if price worked out(open to suggestions)

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe in the future, definitely not now

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe, not a must

MONITOR RESOLUTION: whatever, HD though

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I've come up with a cartfull of parts @ newegg that I'll list below, some I'm not too confident about, but basically made use of the combos to get what I have so far. And I like it enough to not wanna start breaking the combos up until I get some advice. There's also $40 worth of tools & supplies for the build. Used phenom iix6 1055T thinking that was best for my budget, but if 1090T or an i7 930(for example) would make a big difference for the money I'm glad to hear suggestions. Since this is my 1st attempt & I've never been much of a computer gamer before, I'm ignoring OCing & SLI/CF for the moment.
Also I know very little about what I'll need fan/cooler-wise and since the case I chose has 3 120mms and 1 200mm I didn't think any more was needed. There's a free 80mm fan that was a throw-in with one of the combos as well.

Hopefully there's not any awful mistakes involving compatibility & such with what I picked, the RAM is pretty cheap though(stuck with the combo on that)

Thanks for any help...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CPU, PSU, CASE, MB, RAM($512.98)
Phenom II X6 1055T

Antec Nine Hundred + EA650 Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 650W Power Supply

GIGABYTE GA-870A-UD3

4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333

GPU, OS($469.98)
XFX HD-587X-ZNFV Radeon HD 5870 (Cypress XT) 1GB

Windows 7 Home Premium 64

HDD($94.99)
Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB

ODD($25.99)
LITE-ON Black

MONITOR($179.99)
ASUS VH232H

Solution
Hmm for a non OCer/multi GPU dude:
Tower @ $820AR
Untitled-1145.jpg

OS @ $100
23-24" @ $200?
$1120AR

kefka

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2010
I guess the title was kinda misleading...really not a hardcore "gaming build", but more of an everyday pc that can handle FFXIV at hopefully medium settings, obviously I'm not one with the care or budget to need crazy max settings. Though if my financial situation drastically improves before september it would be tempting to go crazy!

Anyway, I'm liking this build for my situation. But for a non-OCer, any reason not to throw an extra $20 in for the 965? Not a huge jump, but not a huge price jump either...

Also the idea of crossfiring sounds pretty good so I might look into upping the motherboard & psu to plan for that....maybe pick up a 2nd 5870 in a few months...

kefka

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2010
Well i wouldn't recommend multi GPU for even HC gamers and that 790FX is still priced high since 890FX has usurped its position as highest end AM3 chipset :p A HD 5870 is one of most godliest GPUs for FF14 on *high* and u mentioned just happy on "hopefully medium" so more reasons just to stick to a single beefy GPU and refresh as per how resource hungry games of the future get

kefka

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2010
Heh, once again thanks for all the good info. I got sucked into the trap of "Hmm, well if I can afford this...let's do this, this & this as well!" Funny how quickly the mind can find ways to spend more money. That 5870 is awesome enough for my needs...