2 pages for WD 500GB HDD at DirectCanada.com ... Confused

I am looking to buy a WD 500 GB HDD. My local store in Calgary is out of stock. So I looked on DirectCanada.com which has a very good rating at resellerratings.com. They show two products which appear to be the same product but with different product "titles":

OEM?

retail?

Apart from the weird difference in product descriptions, The OEM version is slightly more expensive and has twice the shipping weight. I would have thought this would be the case for the retail version. Nowhere does it say either product comes with a SATA cable or screws.

Can anyone who maybe has experience using DirectCanada.com make sense of these two product offerings for me?
9 answers Last reply
More about pages 500gb directcanada confused
  1. i would go with the retail version, they are the same hard drive , but the oem will only be able to be used with your motherboard and wont be able to be changed to a new computer with a different motherboard later
  2. I would call them or send an email for clarification - you'll ultimately only KNOW 100% by asking them.

    ---

    is that even legal?
  3. computernoob29 said:
    i would go with the retail version, they are the same hard drive , but the oem will only be able to be used with your motherboard and wont be able to be changed to a new computer with a different motherboard later


    lol, that only applies to Windows. OEM hardware is hardware that comes as is, not necessarily with any extras such as adapters, data transfer software, and the like. The OEM drive just doesn't come with freebies and probably has an inferior warranty. IDK why its heavier though. You can switch this drive out with as many boards as you want to, OEM or not.

    OEM Windows is tied to a motherboard because it's only intended to be used on a single machine since OEM companies don't reuse product keys, but OEM hardware has no such limitation.
  4. ^^ +1, I got an OEM hard drive and it just came in a plastic sleeve, no fancy box or manuals or software or anything, it is just the product. And you can use it on any/multiple machines (just not OEM windows).
  5. dingo07 said:
    I would call them or send an email for clarification - you'll ultimately only KNOW 100% by asking them.


    Yeah, I suppose I should have done that in the first place. I guess I didn't have much confidence in getting a good reply from their customer service considering how confusing their web site can be. But I've sent their support an email and will post their response if anyone is interested.
  6. I got a bit of a laugh.

    But users above have cleared it up(OEM VS Retail).

    I think it is just drives from 2 different suppliers or something similar.

    I would just get the cheaper one. The share the same warranty.
  7. Harley Hutton from DirectCanada.com got back to me on this. He said they are both OEM units, although the one page still does not state that it is OEM. Also no explanation for the different shipping weights. He said there are two pages because they are from different suppliers. From a customer's point of view that's no reason to have two different web pages with different information IMO.
  8. Many online stores have that.
    Mostly because they get a different price from one supplier or even one batch so it gets a different SKU(Stock Keeping Unit).

    The shipping weight is most likely some kind of mess up with the supply chain as well since they most likely get that(weight) from the supplier as well. Sometimes you ship a heavy item for cheap :)
  9. nukemaster said:
    Many online stores have that.
    Mostly because they get a different price from one supplier or even one batch so it gets a different SKU(Stock Keeping Unit).

    The shipping weight is most likely some kind of mess up with the supply chain as well since they most likely get that(weight) from the supplier as well. Sometimes you ship a heavy item for cheap :)


    Gotcha. Hardcore enthusiasts or dealers or whatever I'm sure would have no problem with it. I buy computer hardware like once or twice a year so I guess I'd prefer a cleaner web presence so I know what I'm getting.

    But I do think there is a problem with the "retail" link in the OP since nowhere on the page does it say it is OEM and not retail.
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives Western Digital Storage