How can I install PCIe card for USB 3.0 external drive

txreal

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2011
I want to read and write GB's of data in external storage faster using USB 3.0. After Google for hours over a month, I learned that I basically need low profile PCIe card with USB 3.0 and maybe PCIe flexible riser cable http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...ry&cc=us&dlc=en&lang=en&lc=en&product=4006403

I guess before the above, another problem is since I have no back port for USB 3.0. So do I extend the riser cable to outside of the box to access the USB 3. I have several empty USB 2.0 external drives to use but reading large files are slow. Maybe you have another idea about how to get USB 3.0 faster read/write on this pc

I'm just starting out learning about pc hardware stuff. Your help is appreciated.

bucknutty

Distinguished
You also mention you have several old usb 2 drivers. Updating the computer 2 usb 3 will not help those drives go faster. They will still operate at usb 2 speeds.

To get usb3 speeds you need a usb3 card in the PC and a usb3 external harddrive.

txreal

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2011
Sorry, I didn't explain it clearly. I have no way of accessing the usb 3 on the PCIe card from the back even if I put one in. Therefore I asked the question "can I use riser cable or some kind of extension cable and extension power cord and just use the PCIe card outside of the case?" thanks.

bucknutty

Distinguished
That case dose not seem to have any expansion bays in the front to add a usb3 panel. I think the best bet is to add the pci-e card then use a long usb cable and a usb3 hub. Then you just plug your stuff into the hub.

Is the computer mounted in a cabinet or someting that makes it so you cant get to the back?

Unfortanitly the usb ports on the front of the computer can not be adapted to work at 3.0 speeds.

txreal

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2011

Re "I think the best bet is to add the pci-e card then use a long usb cable and a usb3 hub" - If I add the pci-e card, how do I access the usb 3 port, since there's no access (no open slot) in the pack panel? I can access the back. I agree with you on the front usb ports.

Do they have long pci-e cable and power cord cable so that I can just use the pci-e card outside of the case? I this what you mean?

Thanks.

txreal

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2011

Hi Bucknutty: go to the mobo specs link above, expand I/O Ports and look at Back I/O Panel. Also look at the motherboard layout. On the right of the Audio: Side Speaker Out (pink) is the graphics card output, then lastly the sound card. Then just bare metal..no holes

No, I have not used any expansion slut. I wish I can post a picture. Thanks.

txreal

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2011

Yep bucknutty. Thanks for your time.

TRENDING THREADS