Reformatin only one partition on windows 7

Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • Windows 7
  • Partition
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
October 5, 2012 5:26:45 PM

Hello, I've been wondering if there is some kind of program out there which I can use for reformating only one partition of my hard drive without reformating the entire computer and Windows 7. The reason why Im asking this is cause my D drive is full and even though i deleted all the biggest files on it, it still shows that it's full. When i added together the size of each of the file left on the drive i came up with a number of 50gb used..and my drive has like..600.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,

Nikolai

More about : reformatin partition windows

a b $ Windows 7
a c 330 G Storage
October 5, 2012 5:55:04 PM

You can do it easily with diskpart -- BUT be careful that you only type exactly what you want to happen. Open your command prompt box with a right click run as administrator and then type diskpart.

To format a partition you have to go to the disk, then the partition, and then run the format, so

diskpart
list disk
select disk n (where n is the disk number that contains the partition)
list partition
select partition x (where x is the partition for format)
format

Here is a full list of commands and syntax: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc770877%28v...
a b G Storage
October 5, 2012 5:57:04 PM

If windows lives on c: and you want to reformate D: just right click on it and hit format.

Keep in mind it will delete every thing on D even programs installed to it.
a b $ Windows 7
a c 330 G Storage
October 5, 2012 9:00:31 PM

bucknutty said:
If windows lives on c: and you want to reformate D: just right click on it and hit format.

Keep in mind it will delete every thing on D even programs installed to it.
OMG, talk about tunnel vision! I spent the whole morning doing HDD repairs on several systems with diskpart, so my brain was locked. Hehe, yeah, right click, format. :pfff: 
a b $ Windows 7
a c 104 G Storage
October 5, 2012 9:18:59 PM

I assume you emptied your RECYCLE BIN?
(anything you DELETE isn't removed and free up space until you do so.)
!