Sign in with
Your question

Slow CPU

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 8
January 4, 2013 10:46:49 PM

Hi guys, I was running Battlefield 3 a few days ago and it was performing really slowly for some reason. With the setting I had it set to, it always performed perfectly until that day. I didn't look into it since I was gonna do a clean install of Windows 8 soon. Now that I've got Windows 8 installed and had all my drivers installed/updated, I tried performing the Windows Experience Index and for some reason, it said that my Processor scored only 4.6. In the past, my CPU was above 7.0. This might have something to do with what was going on with my Battlefield 3, but I had done a fresh install of Windows 8 since then so it shouldn't be software related right?

My CPU is an Intel Core i7-2670QM @ 2.2GHZ (up to 3.2GHZ) and my GPU is an AMD Radeon 6990M. Now this is gonna sound absurd but the only thing I can think of is, I took my laptop to a friend's place the day before the problem occurred and I was carrying it in a small roller suitcase. It got bumped a few times along the way. I know this is highly unlikely to have caused anything since if any parts were damaged or came loose, my computer shouldn't even run at all right? But I just thought I'd throw it out there...

More about : slow cpu

a b * Windows 8
January 4, 2013 11:51:35 PM

first of all, Windows experience index mean nothing at all.
It sound like it the CPU is overheating.
m
l
January 4, 2013 11:53:37 PM

Check power profile.
m
l
Related resources
January 5, 2013 6:40:19 AM

yeah i know the WIndows Experience Index is not the most reliable benchmark, but I was already experiencing some small stutterings which was unusual for a freshly installed OS so what it reported seemed to match my experience. I just checked my CPU temperature with CPUID's HWMonitor and it reported that all four cores were running between 32-42 degrees celcius. That's pretty normal isn't it?

I also checked my power profile and it was set to Balanced which was what I've always had my power profile set to. After a look into the advanced settings for the Balanced profile, it seems to be the same as my previous setup.

Update:

My laptop has two LED lights at the front, one for if the battery was charging or not (and if it's full or not) and one for if it's connected to a power source (or maybe it's just to indicate if the computer is switched on or not). I just noticed that the power source light was orange instead of green even though it was plugged in fully in the power socket that it's always been plugged into. So i just tried to plug it into a different power socket and voila! My new Windows Experience Index shows 7.6! Does anyone know what the problem might be? Is my power adapter wearing out? Or there's something wrong with my power socket?
m
l
January 5, 2013 12:45:43 PM

Probably something wrong with the power and you laptop was running on battery so the the CPU slows down.
m
l
August 7, 2013 8:34:33 AM

marcolorenzo said:
Hi guys, I was running Battlefield 3 a few days ago and it was performing really slowly for some reason. With the setting I had it set to, it always performed perfectly until that day. I didn't look into it since I was gonna do a clean install of Windows 8 soon. Now that I've got Windows 8 installed and had all my drivers installed/updated, I tried performing the Windows Experience Index and for some reason, it said that my Processor scored only 4.6. In the past, my CPU was above 7.0. This might have something to do with what was going on with my Battlefield 3, but I had done a fresh install of Windows 8 since then so it shouldn't be software related right?

My CPU is an Intel Core i7-2670QM @ 2.2GHZ (up to 3.2GHZ) and my GPU is an AMD Radeon 6990M. Now this is gonna sound absurd but the only thing I can think of is, I took my laptop to a friend's place the day before the problem occurred and I was carrying it in a small roller suitcase. It got bumped a few times along the way. I know this is highly unlikely to have caused anything since if any parts were damaged or came loose, my computer shouldn't even run at all right? But I just thought I'd throw it out there...

m
l
August 7, 2013 8:37:56 AM

You do realize that Intel has yet to make an actual 8 core processor. The i7 is very misleading in its title. Technically it only comes in 4 or 6 cores but has 8 threads but since windows 7 and 8 have a glitch they are recognized as having 8 cores. Sorry bud, but as of yet the only official 8 core processor on the market is an AMD
m
l
August 7, 2013 8:37:56 AM

You do realize that Intel has yet to make an actual 8 core processor. The i7 is very misleading in its title. Technically it only comes in 4 or 6 cores but has 8 threads but since windows 7 and 8 have a glitch they are recognized as having 8 cores. Sorry bud, but as of yet the only official 8 core processor on the market is an AMD
m
l
August 7, 2013 5:29:02 PM

Kenny Chiacchiero said:

Yeah...I know...I never said the i7 was an 8 core processor. And I'm pretty sure some of Intel's Xeon processors are 8 core.

m
l
!