Sign in with
Your question

Transferring data by moving HDD's?

Last response: in Storage
October 5, 2012 5:48:37 PM

If I had a massive amount of data I wanted to move between two already up and running PC's, is it possible to take the HDD out of the one with the data and plug it into the other PC to do the transfer?

Thanks.
a b G Storage
October 5, 2012 5:54:14 PM

Yes.... well, not while they're actually running, but you know what I mean.
a b G Storage
October 5, 2012 5:54:49 PM

yes, that would be the fastest, most preferred method

--

however, the Easiest method would be to transfer the data from CompA to CompB over the network
Related resources
October 5, 2012 5:57:05 PM

I'm kinda stupid with computers, I just take one out and plug it into the other PC, and it should startup as normal but the second drive will appear on the Computer tab without me doing anything else?
a b G Storage
October 5, 2012 5:59:00 PM

cookybiscuit said:
I'm kinda stupid with computers, I just take one out and plug it into the other PC, and it should startup as normal but the second drive will appear on the Computer tab without me doing anything else?

Probably. There is a chance it would try to boot from the drive you moved, but you can fix it in BIOS in that case. Other than that it's just plug and play.
a b G Storage
October 5, 2012 5:59:17 PM

if you're kinda stupid with computers, then I wouldn't dare have you move a HDD from one to the other...

are both computers connected to the internet in the same room or house?
October 5, 2012 6:01:03 PM

They're in the same house, I've tried endlessly to get the stupid Windows 7 homegroup to work but I cant get the two to recognize eachother. Is there another method?
a b G Storage
October 5, 2012 6:40:31 PM

cookybiscuit said:
They're in the same house, I've tried endlessly to get the stupid Windows 7 homegroup to work but I cant get the two to recognize eachother. Is there another method?

it's very easy in fact...

-right mouse-click Computer in the Start menu
-click Properties
-to the right of Computer name, domain, and workgroup settings - click Change settings
-in System Properties window, Computer Name Tab, click Change...
make sure the Workgroup is spelled exacly the same on each computer

and then open up Windows Explorer on CompB (computer you want the copy the data to) and create a new folder, and SHARE the folder on the computer
-right mouse-click the folder you just created and click Properties then click the Sharing Tab
-click Share...
-click the little down arrowin the blank window to the left of Add button and select Everyone, then click Add button
-click Read and select Read/Write then click Share to close the window

then on CompA open Windows Explorer and copy the data you want to put on CompB
navigate to Network and select CompB, then the shared folder, then paste the data in the folder
October 5, 2012 6:52:13 PM

Hmm I'll see what I can get to work, thanks.
a b G Storage
October 5, 2012 7:01:46 PM

if you follow the steps above and cannot see either computer under Network, it's possible that Windows Network Discovery is turned off - on both computers, check to see if it's ON

-Open Network and Sharing Center by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking Network and Internet, and then clicking Network and Sharing Center

-click Change advanced sharing settings on the upper left
-make sure Turn on network discovery is seleted
-make sure Turn on file and printer sharing is selected
-click save changes if you had to modify either computer
reboot
!