Nvidia 9800 gt problems

fldaytonagirl

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2010
My graphics are all messy. sometimes i lose my cursor and have to re-boot to find it again. I went to Nvidia and downloaded the latest driver that fixed it but only for a very short time now it is back to non readable blurry mixed colors. I have a Hp m9450I iwth the nvidia 9800gt vidio card. I am running windows vista service pack 3. I first tried to roll back to an earlier driver that only worked for a little while. the new driver is not working any better.

How can I tell if it is my video card? I think I may have two video cards

johnnyq1233

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2007
9800gt runs hot anyways so chances are that the card is overheating due to dust plugging up the heatsink...
My first task would be to open the case and take an air compressor and blow out the dust..(do this outside...lol) and make sure you do a good job on the video card!
Leave the side off when you fire up the pc after cleaning and make sure the fan on the card spins if it doesn't then you'll need to replace the fan or tear it apart and lube the bearing with sewing machine oil.
Hope this helps.....JQ

Malcolm Gibb

Honorable
May 24, 2012
9800gt's run hot most of the time and different models seem to run at different operating temps. First thing to do will be to take the top off, clean dust from heatsinks and make sure the heat pads are not completely melted. Add some new thermal paste to the GPU and then replace. Overheating and overclocking can lead to artefacting on 9800gt's which seems to be a common problem and happened to one of mine, you can try fixing it in the oven using the guide - http://www.malcolmgibb.co.uk/blog/how-to-fix-an-nvidia-geforce-9800gt-in-the-oven/ :)