Sign in with
Your question

Catalyst 10.6 out,post your results

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 16, 2010 6:25:55 PM

There you go
http://sites.amd.com/US/GAME/DOWNLOADS/Pages/downloads....
Release notes:
Performance Improvements
The following performance gains are noticed with this release of Catalyst™ 10.6:
3DMark Vantage
Overall scores improve up to 5% on a single ATI Radeon™ HD 5970

Batman: Arkham Asylum
Performance improves up to 5% on CrossFire™ ATI Radeon™ HD 5800
Series products
Performance improves up to 10% on CrossFire™ ATI Radeon™ HD 5970
configurations

Aliens vs. Predator DirectX® 11 Benchmark
Performance improves up to 4% on CrossFire™ ATI Radeon™ HD 5800
Series products
Performance improves up to 10% on CrossFire™ ATI Radeon™ HD 5970
configurations
Performance improves up to 3% on CrossFire™ ATI Radeon™ HD 5700
Series products

Company of Heroes – DX10
Performance improves up to 7% on CrossFire™ ATI Radeon™ HD 5800
Series products
Performance improves up to 5% with single card and CrossFire™ ATI
Radeon™ HD 5970 configurations

Crysis Warhead
CrossFire™ performance improves by up to 7% on ATI Radeon™ HD 5000
Series products

DiRT 2 – DX9
Performance improves up to 10% on single card ATI Radeon™ HD 5800
Series products
Performance improves up to 10% on single card ATI Radeon™ HD 5970
configurations
Performance improves up to 4% on single card ATI Radeon™ HD 5700
Series products

The Chronicles of Riddick - Assault on Dark Athena
Performance improves up to 15% on CrossFire™ ATI Radeon™ HD 5800
Series products
Performance improves up to 13% on CrossFire™ and single card ATI
Performance improves up to 8% on CrossFire™ ATI Radeon™ HD 5700
Series products

Unigine Tropics
CrossFire™ performance improves by up to 8% on ATI Radeon™ HD 5000
Series products

World in Conflict
Performance improves up to 6% on CrossFire™ ATI Radeon™ HD 5800
Series products
Performance improves up to 8% on CrossFire™ and single card ATI

Wolfenstein
Performance improves up to 18% on CrossFire™ ATI Radeon™ HD 5800
Series products
Performance improves up to 18% on CrossFire™ and single card ATI
Performance improves up to 11% on CrossFire™ ATI Radeon™ HD 5700
Series products

More about : catalyst post results

June 16, 2010 6:28:19 PM

So its actually a step forward? I still use 10.4 because 10.5 is glitchy on my PC.
June 16, 2010 6:29:19 PM

Strange,i first paste all the release notes and when i checked the thread,none of it was pasted lol,so i tried again.(Removing the "dots" near each description)
Haven't downloaded it yet OvrClkr, I'll let you know how it performs when i tested
Related resources
June 16, 2010 6:31:28 PM

their site reminds me of what comes out of my rear end....

"Unable to display the web part."

June 16, 2010 6:39:35 PM

Well it seems its currently too busy.
I edited the last part of your message because of the language and because posting about buying/soon-to buy a Nvidia product in a "ATI driver"thread may lead to a flame-war.

June 16, 2010 6:47:18 PM

Would be nice if it fixed the v-sync issue in BC2 and windows startup. To this date I have not been able to fix the screen tearing. I miss the good ol NV drivers..

Hardly any fixes for DX11 also, one would assume that DX11 would be priority by now...
June 16, 2010 7:28:56 PM

Interesting I'll have to download these tonight.
June 17, 2010 3:50:42 AM

I just installed ccc 10.6 and with cf5850's running@ 775/1125 my overall went from P17612 to P18429 and GPU went from 20647 to 22043 this is for 3DMark vantage, have not had time to try games,should be interesting
June 17, 2010 4:17:18 AM

Did they address the 2D clock idle on a single gpu that's oc'd in 10.5 .
I understand why they did it but didn't appreciate the higher idle temps for my set-up.
Went back to 10.4 because of it.
If that is fixed i'll go for it.
June 17, 2010 4:34:34 AM

What no one seems to be having issues with except me is ULPS power saving feature that has now been enabled by default since a few driver updates ago. I have to go through the registry every time I update drivers and find every ULPS value and change it to 0 otherwise I get BSODS and lock ups. I believe it is due to the fact that it effectively turns one gpu off when not needed so if you run monitoring software this causes all sorts of problems, everytime everest tries to detect sensor readings bsod and shutdown...also lags the f out of my sound playback devices as if enabled when I click playback devices theres a huge delay while I guess the gpu turns back on and then has to be detected if it has hdmi audio output....no one else noticed this?
June 17, 2010 12:37:59 PM

OK i just installed them and here are my results
System specs:
i7 860 @ stock
8GB Corsair DDR3 1333 RAM
Force3D HD 5970 @ stock
resolution: 1920x1200

AVP DX11 benchmark
Texture Quality: 2
Shadow Quality: 3
Anisotropic Filtering: 16
SSAO: ON
Vertical Sync: OFF
DX11 Tessellation: ON
DX11 Advanced Shadows: ON
DX11 MSAA Samples: 1
Cat 10.5
Avg FPS: 72.3
Cat 10.6
Avg FPS: 75.7

Dirt2
Maxed out + 8XAA/DX11
Cat 10.5
Min FPS: 72
Avg FPS: 83
Cat 10.6
Min FPS: 70
AvgFPS = 87

June 17, 2010 2:48:46 PM

Meh, it didnt do much for me, I would rather be able to enable v-sync than have a few extra frames..

When I overclock the card via Afterburner using 10.6 it wont save the settings upon reboot no matter what I do. Reverting back to 10.4, this is ridiculous, I do not understand how true AMD fans can let this slide and not complain.. It's not like im the only one.
June 17, 2010 4:49:26 PM

I seem to be one of the few happy users of 10.5 and now 10.6,all drivers like 10.4 and lower give me lots of 2D problems
June 17, 2010 5:07:09 PM

Thats odd, my 2d works perfectly fine with 10.4/10.5/10.6. I guess its more towards BC2 more than anything.

Hey Maziar, when your Windows startup screen loads do you have screen tearing?
June 17, 2010 6:44:37 PM

can these be used on HD3650 laptop card? Dell only has ancient mobility drivers that are like version 8.6. Or will I just spend hours trying to upgrade only to have to roll back to where I am?
June 17, 2010 6:45:39 PM

Nice results Maziar. Looks like they do help with CF like advertised :D . I'm going to run some benchmarks tonight and compare 10.5 with 10.6, I'll run Dirt2, Crysis, AVP, and STALKER: CoP... throw them in a little graph and post them here. Should be interesting.

nahdogg: You just have to go to manufacturer websites and download the latest drivers. It'll select the most recent drivers compatible with a 3650. Go here. I also recommend that you update all the drivers you can think of... try downloading Driver Detective to see what needs updating and then you can just go to the manufacturer websites and get them (as opposed to paying for DD to update for you although it does work alright)
June 17, 2010 7:19:12 PM

I guess I just remember reading (somewhere) that desktop GPU drivers are different than Mobile GPU drivers because of OEM stranglehold on them which is why Dell's latest graphic driver for my card is from 2008. Any truth to that? Or is that person who said you need to manually mod desktop GPU drivers to work on mobility making stuff up?
June 17, 2010 7:21:43 PM

nahdogg said:
I guess I just remember reading (somewhere) that desktop GPU drivers are different than Mobile GPU drivers because of OEM stranglehold on them which is why Dell's latest graphic driver for my card is from 2008. Any truth to that? Or is that person who said you need to manually mod desktop GPU drivers to work on mobility making stuff up?

They're different. You need to select Notebook Graphics and then select the Mobility 3xxx series. They have 10.6 drivers for that. I don't think Dell can stop you from updating your drivers... that would be ridiculous.
June 17, 2010 7:24:53 PM

to OvrClkr
With older drivers(10.4 and older) i had many problems in start up,like for example the screen went blank for few seconds,also i had some strange dots on the screen,but with 10.5 i had quite less of this problems(no problems so far with 10.6 either).
to Wolf
Yup,FPS increases are always appreciated :D  waiting for your results.
June 17, 2010 8:09:20 PM

Thanks
June 17, 2010 10:43:38 PM

I just can't give up these 10.4's...best drivers I've had in years.
June 17, 2010 11:04:39 PM

Hey annisman, have you been able to force v-sync in BC2/Windows?
June 18, 2010 12:17:55 AM

I wouldn't know because I abhor V-sync, therefore I have never tried it = )
June 18, 2010 2:24:20 AM

Cool, you actually benched them all eh ?
June 18, 2010 6:32:38 AM

Yup he is great at benchmarking :D 
June 18, 2010 2:18:09 PM

It's really not a big deal, takes probably an hour or less to do them. Although I did 2 or 3 and realised I had some settings being forced through CCC and had to redo them all with "use application settings" lol. Whoopsies! But the good news is that caused the FPS to go up more haha. I think I had 8xAA 16xAF on.
June 18, 2010 3:21:19 PM

I haven't benched anything but I did notice that my frames in BC2 dropped significantly in BC2. Using 10.5 I was getting anywhere from 40-75fps, but last night, in-game, I didn't get above 28, except for cut scenes when the round would end. One question though, as I'm a noob, I streamed a movie from netflix through my ps3, while I was playing. Could that cause a reduction in fps while playing multi player?
June 18, 2010 3:26:44 PM

thestrangebrew said:
I haven't benched anything but I did notice that my frames in BC2 dropped significantly in BC2. Using 10.5 I was getting anywhere from 40-75fps, but last night, in-game, I didn't get above 28, except for cut scenes when the round would end. One question though, as I'm a noob, I streamed a movie from netflix through my ps3, while I was playing. Could that cause a reduction in fps while playing multi player?

If it was streaming off your PC, then yes I would think so. I guess it kinda depends how it's handled. Still, it should at the least suck up a bit of bandwidth on your LAN causing for possible lag in game which might affect FPS. You should have a go at single player to compare.
June 18, 2010 3:38:45 PM

Your FPS will not drop due to a slow connection, you might get some lag/kicked from a server but your frames should remain the same. I also noticed a drop in frames as well in BC2 w/ 10.6 so I decided to revert back to 10.4, not sure how a driver can work fine for some but not for others when playing the same exact game, same OS and same card..

I have tested my FPS in far away servers where my ping is over 150 and I have not noticed any frame loss whatsoever, maybe by streaming at the same time you will have a different outcome, who knows but a slow connection should not affect FPS as far as im concerned.
June 18, 2010 3:38:56 PM

I def. noticed lag, some rubber-banding on the server I was playing while streaming a movie, but my frames were also really slow. I'll have to check my settings and I'll try out single player and see how those are. If anything I might just go back to 10.5 as I had no issue with it.
June 18, 2010 3:42:24 PM

Hmm interesting, well sounds like 10.6 doesn't like BC2. But it's helping a lot of other games. Pretty crazy.
June 18, 2010 3:42:59 PM

It wasn't listed in the notes (that I noticed) but the Flash Crash issue I was experiencing in 10.5 seems to have been resolved with 10.6.
June 19, 2010 2:26:36 PM

I installed CCC 10.6 on June 17. My experience with it has been good so far.

When I installed HD5770 in my new build, I started with CCC 9.11. I had TDR issues with it. Therefore, I increased the idle clocks to 200/400 and TDR issue resolved. This happened till CCC 10.5 was out.

When I installed CCC 10.5, to my surprise I noticed my TDR issue was gone. I did not need to increase idle clocks any more. Now I am running on CCC 10.6 and I stiil have no issue with TDR at 157/300 clock speeds.

I do not know if it is CCC 10.5 or CCC 10.6 that resolved the issue or if it is a Windows update that is the hero. I have had lots of Windows updates.

There is no more I can say about CCC 10.6 because I am no gamer.
June 19, 2010 2:41:47 PM

It wasn't the windows update,it was 10.5/10.6(did the same for me too)
June 19, 2010 4:05:08 PM

suat said:
I installed CCC 10.6 on June 17. My experience with it has been good so far.

When I installed HD5770 in my new build, I started with CCC 9.11. I had TDR issues with it. Therefore, I increased the idle clocks to 200/400 and TDR issue resolved. This happened till CCC 10.5 was out.

When I installed CCC 10.5, to my surprise I noticed my TDR issue was gone. I did not need to increase idle clocks any more. Now I am running on CCC 10.6 and I stiil have no issue with TDR at 157/300 clock speeds.

I do not know if it is CCC 10.5 or CCC 10.6 that resolved the issue or if it is a Windows update that is the hero. I have had lots of Windows updates.

There is no more I can say about CCC 10.6 because I am no gamer.

How do u adjust idle speeds? Is it through CCC? I looked and didn't find anything...
June 19, 2010 4:22:37 PM

to hopar
You have to make a profile in CCC,here is how
1_Open CCC and choose Overdrive tab,unlock the settings(by clicking on the " Gold Key" icon)
2_Go top options,profile and choose profile manager.
3_In the composition tab,choose "The following settings" and in the "ATI Radeon HD 58xx/57xx series"make sure only ATI overdrive is checked.
Then enter a profile name,then save and close it(Do not activate).
4_Go to C:\Users\Your UserName\AppData\Local\ATI\ACE\Profiles (Its hidden so make sure you unlock hidden files and folders)

<Feature name="CoreClockTarget_0">
<Property name="Want_0" value="15700" />

<Feature name="MemoryClockTarget_0">
<Property name="Want_0" value="30000" />

By changing these 2,your idle 2D clocks changes.Make sure to activate the profile in CCC when you make changes.
June 20, 2010 2:40:55 AM

This will only change them for the 2D settings? my 3d (overclocked) settings will remain as they are?
June 20, 2010 2:46:10 AM

Well i installed it and so far its not very good for me. In BFBC 2 my ping went from 90 (10.4) to 250 (10.6) and it closes the game every 30-45 minutes when im playing online. Also in the Crysis benchmark my average went from 55fps to 42fps on the same settings but gameplay seems about the same and it wont let me run the crysis benchmark when i untick crossfire, it just either freezes or restarts my computer.
The only good thing about this so far is that the flickering in BFBC 2 is gone... meh
I havent tested other games that much yet so I am not sure if it is just these 2 games. Also i installed them in normal mode first and i thought that might be the problem, so i reinstalled the drivers but it wouldnt let me install the drivers in safe mode, said something like "can not find display driver" so i had to install them in normal mode. Kinda weird. Idk what to do so i started my own thread and hope someone can tell me what to do.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum2.php?config=tom...
Any help is greatly appreciated!!
June 20, 2010 7:00:57 AM

hopar said:
This will only change them for the 2D settings? my 3d (overclocked) settings will remain as they are?

Yes it will only change your 2D settings.
Your 3D settings are the last ones(like Property name="Want_2" value)
June 20, 2010 11:04:48 AM

Hi guys im going to give the new drivers a try, im running W7 now and have yet to change the drivers (New PC) Any one have a link to the Catalyst Uninstaller utility as i cant seem to find it.

Thanks

Mactronix
June 20, 2010 11:21:51 AM

It is in Control Panel\Uninstall Programs section.
June 20, 2010 11:25:42 AM

No i dont mean that, thanks all the same. There is or was when i was using XP a specific Application from ATI to uninstall the CCC.
Obviously as its so usefull ATI have it hidden somewhere and im not even sure if there is one for W7 but suspect there is.

Mactronix
June 20, 2010 3:02:03 PM

What do yo exactly mean mac ? I still don't get,is it a folder or something ?
June 20, 2010 3:24:49 PM

mactronix said:
No i dont mean that, thanks all the same. There is or was when i was using XP a specific Application from ATI to uninstall the CCC.
Obviously as its so usefull ATI have it hidden somewhere and im not even sure if there is one for W7 but suspect there is.

Mactronix

Since I changed from XP to Win 7 I no longer see that specific "CCC uninstall" in the add/remove programs. The only thing there is the "update/install manager" and this is why I have to use driver sweeper to get rid of anything related to ATI.
June 20, 2010 4:03:24 PM

What are you insane? All I did was download the 10.5 driver and installed it over my 10.4. I'll update to 10.6 and tell if it works...my Hd4850 won't see any improvements.
June 20, 2010 4:07:55 PM

After you initiate the ccc install mangaer from windows/control panel install/uninstall it will ask you if you want to remove all aspects and when the uninstall is over it asks if you want to uninstall the last remnants of the installer. When your done, everything is gone, even the folders in program files.
June 20, 2010 4:09:09 PM

notty22 said:
After you initiate the ccc install mangaer from windows/control panel install/uninstall it will ask you if you want to remove all aspects and when the uninstall is over it asks if you want to uninstall the last remnants of the installer. When your done, everything is gone, even the folders in program files.

When I uninstall it that way it still leaves unwanted leftover (ATI/CCC) files in my "programs x86". The only way to get rid of those files is by manually deleting them.
June 20, 2010 4:18:11 PM

ATI 10.6 installed successfully.

How come I never have any problems ~.~
!