Sign in with
Your question
Solved

HDD to SSD migration.

Last response: in Storage
October 5, 2012 6:51:21 PM

I have a 500 GB primary drive. It has around 270 GB of data on it including steam, origin and some other games.
I got a brand new corsair force 3 60 GB SSD. I want to transfer only the system files onto the SSD.
How do I do this?

More about : hdd ssd migration

Best solution

a c 104 G Storage
October 5, 2012 7:14:30 PM

Hello,

Well, that's a real challenge! It's virtually impossible to shrink down a 500GB, or even a 270GB partition to 60GB in preparation to clone it.

Depending on what you have on the HDD, like games or photos or videos, you might consider a clean install of Windows on the SSD, then installing the games you have room for, leaving some space as recommended, and leaving the data on the HDD. Would take the least amount of time.

You could try to shrink the 500 GB partition to, say 300GB, then make a second partition in the free space, and move over to the second partition, all your data and archived stuff. Then you could try to shrink the primary partition (just OS and programs) to just below 60GB SSD. Problems include no excess space (10%) for the disk to function at full speed, and anytime you begin manipulating partitions (Disk Management or a 3rd party Partition Manager) you really need to back up your data anyway in case of a disaster.

Just food for thought.
With a clean installation, you could then add the games and other programs you felt important to have on the primary system drive.
October 5, 2012 7:24:48 PM

That's a better option. Installing windows again.
But what do I do with the old windows files on the old HDD. Do I just delete them?
m
l
Related resources
a c 104 G Storage
October 5, 2012 8:34:49 PM

MrLoooooooo said:
That's a better option. Installing windows again.
But what do I do with the old windows files on the old HDD. Do I just delete them?

Correct, once your SSD is functioning just the way you want it, you would, (more than one way of doing it) shring the 500 GB partition down to say 300 GB, then make a new second partition on the drive. Then copy those files that you specifically want to keep over to it. Then delete the first partition so it is just unallocated space. Last you could expand the new partition to take up all the space again, or make several partitions depending on your needs.
That way there are no OS files on your data partition.

Or you could simply delete the Windows folder and subfolders, but it's not as clean.

Probably the "best" way would be to copy to a separate HDD temporarily the data you want to keep, then just wipe out everything on the 500GB HDD so it's like new, set up a partition scheme to your liking, then copy the data back to it. Like new drive, freshly partitioned and formatted with NTFS.

Can be done with Disk Management, or a 3rd party partitioning program like EaseUS Partition Master (free home edition).

The last thing you would need to do is a little techy.
You should use Diskpart, a command line applet that's part of Windows, and select the disk, to clear the "active" flag, so your OS doesn't ever try to boot from it, thinking there is an functioning OS on it.

Again, food for thought. There are as many ways of accomplishing this as there are folks thinking about it. You could even just remove the "Active" flag so it's non bootable, and leave everything just the way it is. Would work just fine also. Only you would know!

The KEY point is to NOT erase or delete anything until your new fast SSD is functioning just the way you want it.
Wait till you get your SSD up and running, They are really fast!
m
l
October 6, 2012 6:00:22 AM

John_VanKirk said:
Correct, once your SSD is functioning just the way you want it, you would, (more than one way of doing it) shring the 500 GB partition down to say 300 GB, then make a new second partition on the drive. Then copy those files that you specifically want to keep over to it. Then delete the first partition so it is just unallocated space. Last you could expand the new partition to take up all the space again, or make several partitions depending on your needs.
That way there are no OS files on your data partition.

If I make a partition and move all important files like steam and origin will the games still work?
m
l
a c 104 G Storage
October 6, 2012 3:26:51 PM

MrLoooooooo said:
If I make a partition and move all important files like steam and origin will the games still work?

If you move data files to a different location, you just point to the data in your program. If you try to move the programs, in all practicality you won't have moved over registry entries or AppData entries these programs use.

You can reinstall the programs on your SSD, use the data on the secondary HDD, or install the programs selecting a different path and folder for it on the HDD when you initially install it, so all is on the secondary drive.

If the SSD was large enough, you could just clone everything over to it, then move the data to your secondary drive.
m
l
a c 180 G Storage
October 6, 2012 3:50:04 PM

corsair force 3 60 GB SSD < Only load your OS and important often used software on this SSD.Put your games on the HDD.Clean install the OS onto the SSD with no other drives attached to prevent issues with the install.
m
l
a b G Storage
October 6, 2012 3:54:04 PM

If you are to install the OS into the SSD, then just disconnect the HDD sata cable and power, then install the OS into the SSD -- enable AHCI SATA mode in the UEFI/BIOS, and make the SSD the primary boot device, then start your PC.

Then connect the HDD sata cable and power again. You still can use the HDD as before, for example, playing the games, etc.
m
l
October 13, 2012 6:08:50 AM

Best answer selected by MrLoooooooo.
m
l
!