Steam games are taking up space on C: when steam is installed on D:

Daednu

Honorable
Oct 5, 2012
Hey all, I hope this is in the right category!.

I am completely stumped. i have recently bought myself a new 60gb SSD (C:) and installed windows 7 and WoW onto it, which left me with just under 16gb free space. After downloading steam and installing it to the D: drive i decided to download Garry's Mod 13 Beta, which is 3,658.6MB large. after installing i noticed that my free space on C: has dropped to 11.8 GB. I've enabled hidden folders and cant find anything from steam lurking in there that shouldn't be. Nothing else has been installed since installing WoW and windows 7 so there shouldnt be any reason the size has decreased other than the steam game.

Has anyone else had this problem? is there anything i have done wrong or may not have done with the SSD?

thanks in advance for your help,

Daednu

tomatthe

Distinguished
Try this, http://windirstat.info/ its great for determining what is taking up hd space.

Pagefile, hibernation file, and restore points are generally the case.

Daednu

Honorable
Oct 5, 2012
yes as you said pagefile.sys and hiberfil.sys are the culprets.is there anything i can do to get rid of these?

Daednu

Honorable
Oct 5, 2012
after looking about it seems that to remove the hibernation file i will need alot of ram, i only have 4gb, is there a way to move this to my D drive?

X3773

Honorable
Aug 22, 2012
If your not going to use hibernation you can disable it and it will remove the file.

Its the pagefile.sys file that you are talking about that you will need a lot of RAM to delete it. You can move this file to another drive.

System Properties -> Settings... under Performance -> Advanced -> Change...

Select your C Drive select No Paging file and click on Set.
Select your D Drive select Custom Size (you will need to enter your own size with this option) or System managed size and click on Set.

Press OK and your done, a restart might be needed.