Total: 16 votes (7 blank votes)

• Samsung 830 256GB
  • 89 %
  • Corsair Neutron 240GB
  • 12 %
  • Other (Please specify in a post)
  • 0 %
October 5, 2012 7:50:48 PM

Question is in the topic. Both are a similar price, the Neutron being about $20 more expensive.

Also, is the extra $80 or so worth it in order to upgrade to the new Samsung 840 Pro 256GB?

Thanks.
a b G Storage
October 5, 2012 7:57:55 PM

a lot of factors are involved in answering - like what's the budget, because there's deals on SSD's almost daily that set prices apart
October 5, 2012 8:00:55 PM

Just assume that price isn't a factor with the stipulation that it must be one of those two SSDs. Main issue is performance, but some doubt the reliability of the Neutrons. I'm not sure.
Related resources
October 5, 2012 8:01:49 PM

Sidian said:
Question is in the topic. Both are a similar price, the Neutron being about $20 more expensive.

Also, is the extra $80 or so worth it in order to upgrade to the new Samsung 840 Pro 256GB?

Thanks.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/840-pro-ssd-toggle-...

Read the conclusion and the rest of the article if you want to. But they said in the average desktop you wouldn't notice the diff between a 830 and a 840. So I would recommend the 830 right now.
October 6, 2012 2:02:09 AM

Considering that the Samsung 830 SSDs have lately been the subject for some stupendous sales, I'd definitely recommend them.

B&H Photo Video had them for $189.99 a week ago. I think Amazon has them on sale now. Definitely recommend it.
a b Ô Samsung
a c 290 G Storage
October 6, 2012 2:52:02 AM

The Corsair Neutron and Neutron GTX solid state drives are brand new. They were released 30 days ago. That is not enough time to establish a proven track record. I recommend waiting 6 months to see if any issues or problems develop.

The Samsung 840 and 840 Pro solid state drives are also brand new. They were released on September 24th. That is not enough time to establish a proven track record either. I recommend waiting 6 months to see if any issues or problems develop.

The Samsung 830 was released in September 2011 and has a stellar performance record. Samsung is the brand I recommend the most.

Have you checked hardware reviews of the brands and models you are intered in? I maintain the ssd database listed in the sticky at the very top of this forum section. Here is the link:

http://www.johnnylucky.org/data-storage/ssd-database.ht...

Scroll down to the brands and models you are interested in and follow the links to the technical reviews. I just started providing additional controller identification and added a column for indentifying the flash memory. Controller and memory information should be completed in a few days.
October 6, 2012 4:07:19 AM

I've read a bunch of reviews and they all seem to come to the conclusion that the neutron is faster than the Samsung 830. I don't know if being paranoid about the reliability of a drive from a really well respected company like Corsair is a good decision if the neutron has significantly better performance.
October 6, 2012 4:10:01 AM

Sidian said:
I've read a bunch of reviews and they all seem to come to the conclusion that the neutron is faster than the Samsung 830. I don't know if being paranoid about the reliability of a drive from a really well respected company like Corsair is a good decision if the neutron has significantly better performance.

The reviews you are reading are generated using highly skewed tests that push SSDs to certain limits that would typically never be experienced by the average user. This is done so that they can differentiate them at the higher level.

In essence, what this means is that all of the top end drives will have no noticeable difference in performance compared to one another under most user workloads.

If that's the case, why not go with a drive that has a tried, tested, and true reputation and is cheaper?
a b G Storage
October 6, 2012 2:13:04 PM

Samsung 830 no doubt, what I am waiting for however is Barefoot 3!
!