Sign in with
Your question

Some kind sould could help me in my quest for gamming...

Last response: in CPUs
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
September 26, 2010 4:23:08 AM

Hi, I am trying to assemble a pc with this components

-Intel Desktop Board DP55KG/DP55WG Motherboard
-Procesador Intel Core I5-750, 2.66 GHz, 2.5 GT/s, 8 MB Intel Smart Cache, LGA1156... or... Proc. Intel Core i5-760 Quad Core 2.8GHZ (TB 3.33GHz)
DMI 2.5GT/s, Cache 8Mb L3, LGA1156, 64Bits, VT,
-Kingston ValueRAM 2GB (2 of them)
-Seagate Harddrive 500Gb
-Ati-Radeon HD5870 1GB GDDR5
-Blu-Ray driver/writer LG BH10LS30
-Power supply of 850W (possible brands: Coolermaster, Antec

My question goes for the motherboard, the Processor and the Power supply unit...

I dont know which one is best because they look very similar... and also the price is similar...

I am open to recommendations

I plan to Crossfire my graphics card later...

Oh also this is not that important but what should I look in a case to match the heat it could make?
a b à CPUs
September 26, 2010 4:37:42 AM

1. The KG is the "enthusiast" board and will have a stabler and higher OC. The WG is more mainstream, meaning it offers almost all the features (you lose 2 eSATA ports and the Skull), but lacks in the Overcloking/Tweaking options.

If you want to OC, get the KG, if not the WG will be fine.

2. The 760 is simply 133Mhz faster due to the higher Multi/Binning. The performance difference isnt very noticeable, so it depends on the price really.

3.The Antec will be a better PSU than the CM for the most part, CM-branded PSUs are often mediocre. XFX, Seasonic, Corsair, Enermax, PC&C also makes great PSUs also.

What other brands do you have? Especially on the Mobo and RAM.

On your setup, I would not suggest a HD5870. The GTX460/470 and HD5850 are MUCH better values.
The case is an relatively important factor in cooling, but if you already have a ATX mid-tower with decent airflow and do not plan to OC you should be fine.
m
l
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
September 26, 2010 5:32:21 AM

Timop said:
1. The KG is the "enthusiast" board and will have a stabler and higher OC. The WG is more mainstream, meaning it offers almost all the features (you lose 2 eSATA ports and the Skull), but lacks in the Overcloking/Tweaking options.

If you want to OC, get the KG, if not the WG will be fine.

2. The 760 is simply 133Mhz faster due to the higher Multi/Binning. The performance difference isnt very noticeable, so it depends on the price really.

3.The Antec will be a better PSU than the CM for the most part, CM-branded PSUs are often mediocre. XFX, Seasonic, Corsair, Enermax, PC&C also makes great PSUs also.

What other brands do you have? Especially on the Mobo and RAM.

On your setup, I would not suggest a HD5870. The GTX460/470 and HD5850 are MUCH better values.
The case is an relatively important factor in cooling, but if you already have a ATX mid-tower with decent airflow and do not plan to OC you should be fine.

I dont have much brands... a salesman helped me with selecting the components and he talked to me about Intel... the issue is that they dont have everything the market has... so I just have 2 options unless you suggest me one and then I could ask if they have it... my point in selecting the motherboard was the sound chip and 2 PCI ports for crossfiring

What is Skull?...

Thanks a lot about the Power Supply Unit...

About Ram I think I have lots of variety so its pretty flexible

I thought the HD5870 was better than the HD5850 or GTX 470-60... there is even a GTX480 right?... I mean... I saw a comparison table and they ranked the 5870 pretty well here http://internetgames.about.com/od/hardware/tp/tpvideoca...

Why do you say GTX460/470 or HD5850 are better? (sorry I am still learning)

Just about cases... whats the difference between Full tower and Mid tower (duh the size... but I mean how much difference or maybe utility...)

Thanks a lot for your answers
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
September 26, 2010 1:45:58 PM

The Skull is just a Skull print on the Mobo, lol.
Here:

Ask if the Asus P7P55D Pro is available, as well as Gigabytes.

On the GPU, though the 5870 does perform better than the 5850, you pay a ~40% extra in price for 20% extra performance that could be easily acquired using OC. Same with the 470/460.

A side note, If you go with the 5850/460, you will have plenty of room left even with a 650W, They are pretty energy efficient cards.

Finally, Full towers are taller and wider than Mid-Towers , so you can put Watercooling Rads and larger coolers in it. Other than that there's not much of a difference and in your case a mid-tower will be fine.

Where do you live?
m
l
a c 81 à CPUs
September 26, 2010 2:16:51 PM

Choosing an Intel motherboard, you loose on the feature front which other board manufacturers provid at almost the same price (namely USB 3.0, SATA 6Gbps, more user friendly overclocking BIOS etc.).. On a longer run, it all counts.. So its best to skip on Intel original motherboards and choose one from the other brands.. The Asus P7P55D series has some excellent motherboards to consider..

As for the RAM, Kingston is a highly reliable brand.. Although, you can get better RAM then from the value series.. It might cost a bit high but IMO, it is worth it.. Look at G-Skill Ripjaws and/or Corsair XMS3.. Good RAM is essential when considering overclocking also..

For the PSU, i'll recommend one of the XFX 750W Black Edition or Corsair HX 750.. Both are excellent (Seasonic make) and capable enough to handle two video cards of any make and model available currently in the market..

Now for the video card, i always prefer and recommend getting a single powerful video card over any setup of 2 cards.. However, the scaling performance of the GTX 460 1GB models is astonishing.. Like you already may be knowing, combined they perform better than a single GTX 480 at a considerably lower price point.. Definitely give them a consideration..
m
l
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
September 26, 2010 10:12:43 PM

Ok! I will ask the salesman about the Asus... any mobo of that series?... But I think I only have Intel or AMD

I've never ever overcloked before so I am worried about warranty and other things. Also I was thinking on 5870 because I want to crossfire it in a future, if it worths the effort of course. But now that you mention about GTX... I thought they had issues with noise and heat until the release of GTX480

About the cases I asked because of height... if it was 10 or 50% higher than the mid tower... because there is awesome designs on full tower...

I am Lima... so yeah it sucks not living in the US anymore...
m
l
!