Intel i7 960 @ 3.2 GHz stock
Corsair H70 cooler
12GB of Corsair Dominator RAM
EVGA GTX 670 FTW

Here are the drives I have and their respective HD Tune Benchmarks

Maxtor 6L300S0 300GB (64mb/s max)
Maxtor 7H500F0 500GB (71mb/s max)
WD 10EALX-229A0 1TB (134mb/s max)

With my system components are any of these drives acting as a bottleneck?

I'm thinking that they are.
If I was to say get a new hard drive to replace at least the 2 maxtor drives would I see a very noticeable difference in performance? (worth the upgrade)

I was thinking about this drive ...http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136533

John_VanKirk

Distinguished
Hello,

Well, it depends on how you are using your HDDs. Your rig is great, looks like it is set up for games?

The Western Digital WD Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive is one of my favorites. You will get ~125MB/s average transfer rate with it.

If you are using them for data storage, no, for OS and programs, probably so.

If you are looking for "fast", consider a smaller (256GB) SSD for your OS and programs. a new SSD will give you read rates of > 475GB/s, which the platter drives can't touch.

Cuzzin Chizzy

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2012
I actually do have a SSD for my OS/Programs drive and another SSD for my Games Drive. I have the 300GB Maxtor as my Audio drive, which has all of my sound files for music recording with various DAWs. The 500GB Maxtor is partitioned as Video Drive, and a Misc. Drive.

I guess when I really think about it my main concern is using the 500gb drive to store my video files since video files are larger.

Would I notice a big enough improvement in loading video files, say, in a program like Adobe Premiere Pro, to warrant spending the extra money on a new hdd or ssd?

Or are the video files small enough that I won't really notice too much load speed increase.

TRENDING THREADS