Pcmcia Cardbus USB 2.0 hangs Windows XP.

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
November 16, 2004 2:24:16 PM

Hello all.

Hardware:
Toshiba S1410-902 with the latest BIOS.
Pcmcia "St Lab USB 2.0" Cardbus with two USB 2.0 slots.

Software:
Windows XP SP2 with all updates from WinUpdate.
I applied drivers from pcmcia CD-ROM.

Problem:
I put pcmcia, start laptop and system hangs on booting. I can see only
Windows XP splash screen on startup. Progress bar doesn't proceed.
After uninstalling all "Pcmcia adapters" from device manager, system
boots OK and I can see desktop. But... after instant of time system
hangs again. I suppose it happen after Windows automatically install
all "pcmcia adapters".

I put pcmcia in two different slots - doesn't helped.

What is the problem? Where can I find solution?

Best regards.

--
Sailor
Anonymous

Ok just curious - not knowing whatt I am doing, I'd just like to know -
you say you put in card and turned on the computer - what happens if you
wait until the computer boots up completely, and then insert the card into
the slot?

-----------------------
On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 11:24:16 +0100, Sailor <sailor-at-aluzja.net> wrote:

>Hello all.
>
>Hardware:
>Toshiba S1410-902 with the latest BIOS.
>Pcmcia "St Lab USB 2.0" Cardbus with two USB 2.0 slots.
>
>Software:
>Windows XP SP2 with all updates from WinUpdate.
>I applied drivers from pcmcia CD-ROM.
>
>Problem:
>I put pcmcia, start laptop and system hangs on booting. I can see only
>Windows XP splash screen on startup. Progress bar doesn't proceed.
>After uninstalling all "Pcmcia adapters" from device manager, system
>boots OK and I can see desktop. But... after instant of time system
>hangs again. I suppose it happen after Windows automatically install
>all "pcmcia adapters".
>
>I put pcmcia in two different slots - doesn't helped.
>
>What is the problem? Where can I find solution?
>
>Best regards.

...D.
November 16, 2004 5:48:59 PM

....D. wrote:
> what happens if you
> wait until the computer boots up completely, and then insert the card into
> the slot?

The system hangs also, like in previous cases. Unplugging card after
that doesn't helped. I have to do hard-reboot.

--
Sailor
a b D Laptop

Sailor <sailor-at-aluzja.net> wrote in news:4199d55b$1@news.home.net.pl:

> Hello all.
>
> Hardware:
> Toshiba S1410-902 with the latest BIOS.
> Pcmcia "St Lab USB 2.0" Cardbus with two USB 2.0 slots.
>
> Software:
> Windows XP SP2 with all updates from WinUpdate.
> I applied drivers from pcmcia CD-ROM.
>
> Problem:
> I put pcmcia, start laptop and system hangs on booting. I can see only
> Windows XP splash screen on startup. Progress bar doesn't proceed.
> After uninstalling all "Pcmcia adapters" from device manager, system
> boots OK and I can see desktop. But... after instant of time system
> hangs again. I suppose it happen after Windows automatically install
> all "pcmcia adapters".
>
> I put pcmcia in two different slots - doesn't helped.
>
> What is the problem? Where can I find solution?
>
> Best regards.

I would suggest you check for Toshiba driver updates for your laptop. I
had a somewhat similar problem for my Dell, and this Dell driver update
took care of it: O2Micro OZ6912 PCMCIA Card Controller

When searching for this problem, I found a number of reports that
indicated their resolution was to enter BIOS setup and disable legacy
USB. Maybe it would work for you.

--
Tom McCune
November 17, 2004 4:04:30 PM

Tom McCune wrote:

> I would suggest you check for Toshiba driver updates for your laptop. I
> had a somewhat similar problem for my Dell, and this Dell driver update
> took care of it: O2Micro OZ6912 PCMCIA Card Controller

I've upgraded the latest drivers from Toshiba site.

> When searching for this problem, I found a number of reports that
> indicated their resolution was to enter BIOS setup and disable legacy
> USB.

I've just try that... and it didn't helped :(

> Maybe it would work for you.

Unfortunatelly it doesn't, but thank you for helping.

Maybe someone else have some different suggestions.

I thought, that it could be IRQ conflict. I read, that even in ACPI
there are conflicts sometimes. Even that... I don't think that Windows
in this case should hang. Don't you think?

--
Sailor
Anonymous

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 13:04:30 +0100, Sailor <sailor-at-aluzja.net> wrote:
>Unfortunatelly it doesn't, but thank you for helping.
>Maybe someone else have some different suggestions.
>I thought, that it could be IRQ conflict. I read, that even in ACPI
>there are conflicts sometimes. Even that... I don't think that Windows
>in this case should hang. Don't you think?

Maybe I have figured this out?? Probably not. ---> With Windows XP,
shouldn't all PCMIA cards all be plug & play - all meeting certain
requirements and XP having a driver ALREADY that can do the job??
Check and see if those drivers you installed are meant for Win 98 or Win
2000. CDs that come with stuff are usually meant for older operation
systems only. Try to remove the drivers you installed and plug it in then
& see what happens.
...D.
November 22, 2004 11:57:43 AM

....D. wrote:
> Maybe I have figured this out?? Probably not. ---> With Windows XP,
> shouldn't all PCMIA cards all be plug & play - all meeting certain
> requirements and XP having a driver ALREADY that can do the job??

Yes. All drivers should be on WinXP. I tested this PCMCIA without
installing drivers from vendor CD & with them. The same result occur.

I've send this card to vendor, because probably the card is broken and
I don't have any ideas what it could be.

I'll write here what was the problem, if they tell me.

Thx all.

--
Sailor
November 30, 2004 8:15:35 PM

Sailor wrote:
> I've send this card to vendor, because probably the card is broken and I
> don't have any ideas what it could be.
>
> I'll write here what was the problem, if they tell me.

I have info from vendor - pcmcia card was broken. So... if somebody
will have similar problems this could be hardware fault.

Best regards,

--
Sailor
!