Lithium AA Flash Batteries

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
December 24, 2004 12:13:40 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm (More info?)

I am thinking of buying Lithium AA batteries for my Canon 420EX external
flash to reduce recycle time.

Anyone used these? Do they make much of a difference over NI-MH batts?

Any recommendations where to buy from the UK?
Anonymous
December 24, 2004 12:13:41 AM

A wrote:

> I am thinking of buying Lithium AA batteries for my Canon 420EX external
> flash to reduce recycle time.
>
> Anyone used these? Do they make much of a difference over NI-MH batts?
>
> Any recommendations where to buy from the UK?

They will last longer than a set of NiMH's, for sure, but then you throw them
out. They should recycle faster (higher voltage, less voltage drop with current)

NiMH's recycle pretty quick in any case and of course can be recharged.

NiMH's just go back into the bag for a recharging. Keep a set of Li as backup
(or Alkaline which don't recyle as fast).

Check the manual for the flash for battery type warnings. Some camera grips
(Canon, Minolta) say not to use them at all.

Hmm, this prompted me to look at my flash manuals. My older flash has no
mention of Lithium.

My newer flash, (Minolta 5600HS) has the admonition: "When using the (sic)
lithium batteries, if the batteries become hot due to high temperatures or
successive use, (BATT INDICATOR) may blink and the flash may not be able to use
(sic) for a while. Wait until the batteries become cold before using the flash
again." (This unit is more powerful than the 420EX so perhaps it is more
susceptible to this condition).

If you're really unsure ... call or write to Canon who may (should) be able to help.

AA Li should be available in any hardware, drugstore, convenience store, etc.
(unless they are not legal in the UK for some reason).

Cheers,
Alan

December 24, 2004 7:23:24 PM

In rec.photo.equipment.35mm A <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:
: I am thinking of buying Lithium AA batteries for my Canon 420EX external
: flash to reduce recycle time.

: Anyone used these? Do they make much of a difference over NI-MH batts?

I think you would be better off with NiMh batteries. To start they are a
lot cheaper.

: Any recommendations where to buy from the UK?

Here in the US Lithium batteries are commonly available in larger stores.

-------------------
fwp@deepthought.com
December 24, 2004 7:27:55 PM

In rec.photo.equipment.35mm Alan Browne <alan.browne@freelunchvideotron.ca> wrote:
: A wrote:

: > I am thinking of buying Lithium AA batteries for my Canon 420EX external
: > flash to reduce recycle time.
: >
: > Anyone used these? Do they make much of a difference over NI-MH batts?
: >
: > Any recommendations where to buy from the UK?

: They will last longer than a set of NiMH's, for sure, but then you throw them
: out. They should recycle faster (higher voltage, less voltage drop with current)

: NiMH's recycle pretty quick in any case and of course can be recharged.

: NiMH's just go back into the bag for a recharging. Keep a set of Li as backup
: (or Alkaline which don't recyle as fast).

: Check the manual for the flash for battery type warnings. Some camera grips
: (Canon, Minolta) say not to use them at all.

I've got a lot of equipment that gets powered by AA batteries with
intructions warning against the use of NiMh batteries. I use the rechargable
any how. I've never had any trouble with them.

-------------------
fwp@deepthought.com
Anonymous
December 24, 2004 9:14:44 PM

"A" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
>I am thinking of buying Lithium AA batteries for my Canon 420EX external
> flash to reduce recycle time.
>
> Anyone used these? Do they make much of a difference over NI-MH batts?

Yeah, they're a hell of a lot more expensive. Four NiMH probably don't cost
more than 10% higher than four lithium, but the NiMH can be recharged while
the lithium get thrown out.

Mark
December 24, 2004 9:14:45 PM

Mark B. wrote:

> "A" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
>
>>I am thinking of buying Lithium AA batteries for my Canon 420EX external
>>flash to reduce recycle time.
>>
>>Anyone used these? Do they make much of a difference over NI-MH batts?
>>

> Yeah, they're a hell of a lot more expensive. Four NiMH probably don't cost
> more than 10% higher than four lithium, but the NiMH can be recharged while
> the lithium get thrown out.
>
> Mark

Yup, right into the landfill.

--
jer
email reply - I am not a 'ten'

Frank Pittel wrote:

> I've got a lot of equipment that gets powered by AA batteries with
> intructions warning against the use of NiMh batteries. I use the rechargable
> any how. I've never had any trouble with them.

The difference here is that AA Li batteries supply a higher than nominal voltage
and in use they will sustain that voltage with even high current. I have no
problem putting in batts that are lower than voltage rating, but higher than
rating AND a warning from the manufacturer not to use them is another matter.

My camera does work on Lithium, BTW, in the body (CR123), or in the grip CR123
or 2CR5 Lithiums can be used. The warning is specific to AA Li. I'm not going
to risk my camera body to find out what happens.

December 24, 2004 9:42:47 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm (More info?)

Lithium is very expensive, but worth every penny.
Recycle time is amazing.
Gene http://www.photoprojects.net

Frank Pittel wrote:

> In rec.photo.equipment.35mm A <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:
> : I am thinking of buying Lithium AA batteries for my Canon 420EX external
> : flash to reduce recycle time.
>
> : Anyone used these? Do they make much of a difference over NI-MH batts?
>
> I think you would be better off with NiMh batteries. To start they are a
> lot cheaper.
>
> : Any recommendations where to buy from the UK?
>
> Here in the US Lithium batteries are commonly available in larger stores.
>
> --
>
> Keep working millions on welfare depend on you
> -------------------
> fwp@deepthought.com
Anonymous
December 25, 2004 1:35:54 AM

Frank wrote:
>I've got a lot of equipment that gets powered by AA batteries with
>intructions warning against the use of NiMh batteries. I use the rechargable
>any how. I've never had any trouble with them.

However, the original poster was asking about a Canon 420EX, and there is no
problem.

---Bob Gross---
Anonymous
December 25, 2004 6:15:09 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm (More info?)

Here's my two cents . . . .

Yes, lithium AA are expensive. They are not rechargeable. However, they are
very light weight and with four lithium AA batteries in my Canon S1 IS, I
can take 1,500 to 1,800 shots. And best of all, I can leave the camera on
the shelf for a week and when I take it with me I know it will be ready to
work. With NiMH rechargeables, there is constant maintenance. You have to
keep the charge up. Leaving them in the camera for some days means dead
batteries. So I solve this by throwing money at it. It's as simple as that.

Bye.

"Mark B." <mbohntrash54@comcast.net> wrote in message
> "A" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>I am thinking of buying Lithium AA batteries for my Canon 420EX external
>> flash to reduce recycle time.
>>
>> Anyone used these? Do they make much of a difference over NI-MH batts?
>>

> Yeah, they're a hell of a lot more expensive. Four NiMH probably don't
> cost more than 10% higher than four lithium, but the NiMH can be recharged
> while the lithium get thrown out.
>
> Mark

Anonymous
December 25, 2004 2:45:37 PM

"Frank Pittel" <fwp@warlock.deepthought.com> wrote in message
> In rec.photo.equipment.35mm A <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:
> : I am thinking of buying Lithium AA batteries for my Canon 420EX external
> : flash to reduce recycle time.
>
> : Anyone used these? Do they make much of a difference over NI-MH batts?
>
> I think you would be better off with NiMh batteries. To start they are a
> lot cheaper.
>
> : Any recommendations where to buy from the UK?
>
> Here in the US Lithium batteries are commonly available in larger stores.

Basically you only want lithiums if you are going into the woods for a month
and have no way to charge up the Ni-MH. Those lithiums are primary while
the Ni-MH are rechargeable.
December 25, 2004 7:22:00 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm (More info?)

On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 16:27:55 -0600, Frank Pittel
<fwp@warlock.deepthought.com> wrote:

>In rec.photo.equipment.35mm Alan Browne <alan.browne@freelunchvideotron.ca> wrote:
>: A wrote:
>
>: > I am thinking of buying Lithium AA batteries for my Canon 420EX external
>: > flash to reduce recycle time.
>: >
>: > Anyone used these? Do they make much of a difference over NI-MH batts?
>: >
>: > Any recommendations where to buy from the UK?

I'm not in the UK, but I carry a spare set of Lithium batteries for
the flash and camera.

They are expensive, but have tremendous capacity and my experience has
been they will outlast several sets of NiMHs for capacity. Of course
when they are done they are done.

>: They will last longer than a set of NiMH's, for sure, but then you throw them
>: out. They should recycle faster (higher voltage, less voltage drop with current)
>
>: NiMH's recycle pretty quick in any case and of course can be recharged.

>: NiMH's just go back into the bag for a recharging. Keep a set of Li as backup
>: (or Alkaline which don't recyle as fast).

I've found the alkaline batteries work fine in the flash, but are next
to useless in my E-20N. They only last for 10 to 15 shots.

>: Check the manual for the flash for battery type warnings. Some camera grips
>: (Canon, Minolta) say not to use them at all.

If the voltage and size are right I use them. OTOH there are some
reasons for not using them as the Lithium batteries have a very low
internal resistance so the starting, or inrush current could be quite
high in some devices.

>I've got a lot of equipment that gets powered by AA batteries with
>intructions warning against the use of NiMh batteries. I use the rechargable
>any how. I've never had any trouble with them.

Do they make Lithium rechargeable in AA size? Now that would be nice.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com
Anonymous
December 26, 2004 12:40:33 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm (More info?)

I've used nothing BUT Lithium AA Batteries since I first found them two
years ago. With the reduced weight they are great for travel. With the
instant refresh rate in my shoe mounted flash they are great for
continuous shooting. And with the 5-7 times longer life span and only a
2-3 times cost, they are more efficient. I used them in all my flashes,
my cameras, my portable electronics that take AA sized batteries, in all
flash lights, in fact, I never use Alkaline batteries any more and have
never had any damage to any of my equipment from electrical over loads.

Steve Kramer
"PhotoEnvisions" Freelance Photography
Chiang Mai, Thailand
http://www.photoenvisions.com
--
"The voyage of discovery lies not in seeking new horizons, but in seeing
with new eyes." - Marcel Proust

"Steve Kramer" <steve@seatraveler.com> wrote in message

> I've used nothing BUT Lithium AA Batteries since I first found them two
> years ago. With the reduced weight they are great for travel. With the
> instant refresh rate in my shoe mounted flash they are great for
> continuous shooting. And with the 5-7 times longer life span and only a
> 2-3 times cost, they are more efficient. I used them in all my flashes,
> my cameras, my portable electronics that take AA sized batteries, in all
> flash lights, in fact, I never use Alkaline batteries any more and have
> never had any damage to any of my equipment from electrical over loads.

Me too.....And, they have a fantastic shelf life. I can put them in a flash,
and not use it for 6 months, and when I need it, its ready to go.........
Anonymous
December 26, 2004 10:12:01 AM

In rec.photo.equipment.35mm William Graham <weg9@comcast.net> wrote:

[...]

The long shelf life of lithium batteries is why I use them to power my
camera. They have a shelf life of about ten years which means I can pick up
my 35mm camera after six months and not have to worry about the condition of
the batteries.

-------------------
fwp@deepthought.com
December 26, 2004 10:19:53 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm (More info?)

"David Sommers" <dsommers@acm.org> wrote in

> Here's my two cents . . . .
>
> With NiMH rechargeables, there is
> constant maintenance. You have to keep the charge up. Leaving them in
> the camera for some days means dead batteries. So I solve this by
> throwing money at it. It's as simple as that.

Your camera is faulty, get it repaired.

NiMH batteries can be left in the camera for a week and though they may
lose as much as 10-15% if they were fully charged (less if already
partially discharged), they will be ready to use and last reasonably well.

Also NiMH batteries are really good value for money. 2 or 3 sets are no
big problem, they will cost very little for the value they provide.

--
Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
See my pics at www.gigatech.co.nz (last updated 12-Nov-04)

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm (More info?)

In message <J9CdnULE24qxPlHcRVn-1w@comcast.com> - "Mark B."
<mbohntrash54@comcast.net>Fri, 24 Dec 2004 18:14:44 -0500 writes:
:>
:>"A" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
:>news:cqfc59$he5$1@newsg3.svr.pol.co.uk...
:>>I am thinking of buying Lithium AA batteries for my Canon 420EX external
:>> flash to reduce recycle time.
:>>
:>> Anyone used these? Do they make much of a difference over NI-MH batts?
:>>
:>
:>Yeah, they're a hell of a lot more expensive. Four NiMH probably don't cost
:>more than 10% higher than four lithium, but the NiMH can be recharged while
:>the lithium get thrown out.
:>
:>Mark
:>
:>

Hi
I've been using them in my 420ex and the same set of batteries has been in use
since Sept 2003 (and still going strong).
I also have AA Lithiums in my GPS and it's been used quite a bit for the about
8 months. The GPS goes through Alkaline batteries like you wouldn't believe,
these Lithium batteries are amazing.

My Elan 7 battery grip says not to use them (Canon says the voltage is too
high), but the "pro" level cameras can use them. I've been wondering if this
"warning" is just marketting hype, to make the pro models appear even better?
Fresh out of the package the battery voltage is 1.7.

I've been buying them at Wal-Mart (in Canada) for $4/battery.

Rob
www.rcp.ca
Anonymous
December 26, 2004 6:56:39 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm (More info?)

"David Sommers" <dsommers@acm.org> wrote in message
<snip>
> So, enjoy your economical NiMH AA annoyances. Now all of my cameras use
> Lithium batteries and I'm happy.

It's all a matter of where your priorities are. It's not at all annoying to
me to charge the batteries before I use them. It would be more annoying to
have to throw them out and have to spend $10 each time they're used up.

Mark
Anonymous
December 26, 2004 9:22:56 PM

Gene F. Rhodes <"gfrhodes"@ cox.net> wrote:

> Lithium is very expensive, but worth every penny.
> Recycle time is amazing.

Amazing in the sense of long?

NiMH and NiCd batteries should have the shortest recycle times
due to low internal resistance. Alkaline and especially lithium
have lower self-discharge rates, so they last longer between gigs.
But old (pre-titanium) alkaline batteries only contained about
700 mAh (milliAmp hours) of power. Lithium supposedly twice that.
New NiMH batteries claim 2400 mAh and have been measured at 2100.

Take a look at the specs for the Minolta EP-2 external battery pack
if you don't believe me:

recycle time
Alkaline .2 - 5 seconds
Lithium .2 - 7 seconds
NiMH .2 - 4 seconds
Anonymous
December 26, 2004 9:24:54 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm (More info?)

Steve Kramer <steve@seatraveler.com> wrote:

> I've used nothing BUT Lithium AA Batteries since I first found them two
> years ago. With the reduced weight they are great for travel. With the
> instant refresh rate in my shoe mounted flash they are great for
> continuous shooting. And with the 5-7 times longer life span and only a
> 2-3 times cost, they are more efficient.

Have you seen a solar recharger for NiMH batteries?
In the long run, if you use a speedlight more than a few times a month,
it would save you money.
Anonymous
December 26, 2004 10:22:54 PM

> In rec.photo.equipment.35mm William Graham <weg9@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> : "Steve Kramer" <steve@seatraveler.com> wrote in message
> : news:41CD7BE1.C509B99E@seatraveler.com...
> : >
> : > I've used nothing BUT Lithium AA Batteries since I first found them
> two
> : > years ago. With the reduced weight they are great for travel. With the
> : > instant refresh rate in my shoe mounted flash they are great for
> : > continuous shooting. And with the 5-7 times longer life span and only
> : > 2-3 times cost, they are more efficient. I used them in all my
> flashes,
> : > my cameras, my portable electronics that take AA sized batteries, in
> all
> : > flash lights, in fact, I never use Alkaline batteries any more and
> have
> : > never had any damage to any of my equipment from electrical over
> loads.
> : >
> : Me too.....And, they have a fantastic shelf life. I can put them in a
> flash,
> : and not use it for 6 months, and when I need it, its ready to
> go.........
>
> The long shelf life of lithium batteries is why I use them to power my
> camera. They have a shelf life of about ten years which means I can pick
> up
> my 35mm camera after six months and not have to worry about the condition
> of
> the batteries.

It probably also means that they won't leak and ruin the camera or other
device nearly as soon as alkalines will, too.....
Anonymous
December 26, 2004 10:22:55 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm (More info?)

In rec.photo.equipment.35mm William Graham <weg9@comcast.net> wrote:

: "Frank Pittel" <fwp@warlock.deepthought.com> wrote in message
: news:k46dnYVcWfgz71PcRVn-3Q@giganews.com...
: > In rec.photo.equipment.35mm William Graham <weg9@comcast.net> wrote:
: >
: > : "Steve Kramer" <steve@seatraveler.com> wrote in message
: > : news:41CD7BE1.C509B99E@seatraveler.com...
: > : >
[...]

While I don't doubt it's possible I've never known a lithium battery to leak.

-------------------
fwp@deepthought.com
December 27, 2004 12:48:08 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm (More info?)

"David Sommers" <dsommers@acm.org> wrote in

> "MarkH" <markat@atdot.dot.dot> wrote in message
>>
>> NiMH batteries can be left in the camera for a week and though they
>> may lose as much as 10-15% if they were fully charged (less if
>> already partially discharged), they will be ready to use and last
>> reasonably well.
>>
>> Also NiMH batteries are really good value for money. 2 or 3 sets are
>> no big problem, they will cost very little for the value they
>> provide.
>
> I'm sorry Mark, you are quite mistaken about the characteristics of
> NiMH rechargeable AA cells. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with
> either my Canon or Olympus cameras.

I'm mistaken in what respect?

Are you saying that the NiMH cells will lose more than 10-15% of their
charge in a week?

Most of us realise that NiMH cells will self-discharge and after several
weeks might not have much more than 60% charge, even though they haven't
been used. But a camera that can run for 4 hours on a fully charged set of
AA batteries will still run for a couple of hours on each set of partially
charged AA batteries and they are cheap enough to buy 4 sets without
breaking the bank.

AA NiMH chargers can charge a set of 4 cells in 60 minutes (there are some
that can do it in 15 minutes) and it really doesn't take much to charge up
some batteries before a trip somewhere to take photos.

If you think that I am mistaken on any point you should feel free to point
out where and how I am wrong, I certainly wont take offence. Please be
specific though, I have no idea of what characteristics you believe my

Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
See my pics at www.gigatech.co.nz (last updated 12-Nov-04)
understand binary and those that don't"
Anonymous
December 27, 2004 12:48:09 AM

In rec.photo.equipment.35mm MarkH <markat@atdot.dot.dot> wrote:
: "David Sommers" <dsommers@acm.org> wrote in
: news:70yzd.54061$gd.25872@twister.socal.rr.com:

: > "MarkH" <markat@atdot.dot.dot> wrote in message
: > news:tCtzd.7468758$6p.1176242@news.easynews.com...
: >>
[...]

If I'm not mistaken NiMH can be left in a battery charger without damaging
them. I keep 4 of them in a charger all the time and simply cycle the
batteries I use through the charger as they run down. A bit of a hassle
sometimes but I have noticed that with a good amount of use a couple of AA
nimh cells will power my walkman and diskman for two or three weeks without
recharge.

I've also have put a set of the 2300mah cells in my 550x flash and have gone
through an evening of heavy flash use on a single charge. I do use Lithium
batteries for my camera and light meter. This is so that I can leave either
of the sitting on a shelf for months and not have to worry about leakage or
self discharged batteries.

-------------------
fwp@deepthought.com
December 27, 2004 1:47:19 PM

> I do use Lithium batteries for my camera and light meter. This is so
> that I can leave either of the sitting on a shelf for months and not
> have to worry about leakage or self discharged batteries.

For anything that sits around for months you would have problems with NiMH.
I too use something different at times. For my emergency torch in the car
I use Alkaline batteries for the long shelf life, for the torch in the
house that I use regularly I have some high capacity Ni-Cd D cells that are
good for a couple of months. For remote controls I use alkaline cells, good
for a year or so.

When it comes down to it you need to mix some common sense with good
economics. If you drain through a set of alkaline batteries every week
then obviously you could save quite a bit by switching to NiMH. If the
alkalines in your remote work fine for many months then you would not save
money by using NiMH cells.

--
Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
See my pics at www.gigatech.co.nz (last updated 12-Nov-04)
understand binary and those that don't"
Anonymous
December 27, 2004 3:08:05 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm (More info?)

I am very happy to point out your errant belief in the characteristics of
NiMH AA cells. In my personal experience with NiMH AA cells over some years,
I have found the self-discharge rate to far greater than the advertised
10-15% per week. I have found that when very new, a set of NiMH AA cells
will exhibit this characteristic. However, after several power cycles, the
self-discharge rate is more like 50-75% per week, and gets worse with age.

While the ideal solution is rechargeable Li-Ion, not all cameras are
compatible with Li-Ion as there are no Li-Ion AA cells. This is because
Li-Ion cells are about 3 volts each, not 1.5.

So, I have solved the battery problem for my collection of cameras by going
to Lithium technology. All of my cameras are now reliable - ready to work
when I need them, and weigh a little less than they might otherwise. I
consider the expense of replacing a set of Lithium primary cells in my canon
S1 IS as "buying some more film". All my other cameras use Li-Ion
rechargeables, and enjoy their near zero self-discharge and high power
capacity.

Bye.

> "David Sommers" <dsommers@acm.org> wrote in
>
>> "MarkH" <markat@atdot.dot.dot> wrote in message
>>>
>>> NiMH batteries can be left in the camera for a week and though they
>>> may lose as much as 10-15% if they were fully charged (less if
>>> already partially discharged), they will be ready to use and last
>>> reasonably well.
>>>
>>> Also NiMH batteries are really good value for money. 2 or 3 sets are
>>> no big problem, they will cost very little for the value they
>>> provide.
>>
>> I'm sorry Mark, you are quite mistaken about the characteristics of
>> NiMH rechargeable AA cells. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with
>> either my Canon or Olympus cameras.
>
> I'm mistaken in what respect?
>
> Are you saying that the NiMH cells will lose more than 10-15% of their
> charge in a week?
>
> Most of us realise that NiMH cells will self-discharge and after several
> weeks might not have much more than 60% charge, even though they haven't
> been used. But a camera that can run for 4 hours on a fully charged set
> of
> AA batteries will still run for a couple of hours on each set of partially
> charged AA batteries and they are cheap enough to buy 4 sets without
> breaking the bank.
>
> AA NiMH chargers can charge a set of 4 cells in 60 minutes (there are some
> that can do it in 15 minutes) and it really doesn't take much to charge up
> some batteries before a trip somewhere to take photos.
>
> If you think that I am mistaken on any point you should feel free to point
> out where and how I am wrong, I certainly wont take offence. Please be
> specific though, I have no idea of what characteristics you believe my

> Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
> See my pics at www.gigatech.co.nz (last updated 12-Nov-04)
> "There are 10 types of people, those that
> understand binary and those that don't"

Anonymous
December 27, 2004 3:08:06 PM

In rec.photo.equipment.35mm David Sommers <dsommers@acm.org> wrote:
> I am very happy to point out your errant belief in the characteristics of
> NiMH AA cells. In my personal experience with NiMH AA cells over some years,
> I have found the self-discharge rate to far greater than the advertised
> 10-15% per week.

That's not the advertised self-discharge rate. It's 10% in the first day,
some sources say 15%, then 10% or more per month, or 1-2% daily if you like.
That works out to at 18-33% per week.

http://h50093.www5.hp.com/createuse/learning/batteries_...

Best to take NiMH batteries out of the charger just before your gig.
If you travel, consider buying a solar battery charger.

> I have found that when very new, a set of NiMH AA cells
> will exhibit this characteristic. However, after several power cycles, the
> self-discharge rate is more like 50-75% per week, and gets worse with age.

That's interesting, thanks for the datapoint. How did you measure it?
December 30, 2004 8:57:30 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm (More info?)

www.battery-force.co.uk seem to be very cheap.

Anyone bought from them before?

"A" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> I am thinking of buying Lithium AA batteries for my Canon 420EX external
> flash to reduce recycle time.
>
> Anyone used these? Do they make much of a difference over NI-MH batts?
>
> Any recommendations where to buy from the UK?

Anonymous
December 30, 2004 11:47:49 PM

"A" <nospam@nospam.com> writes:
> I am thinking of buying Lithium AA batteries for my Canon 420EX external
> flash to reduce recycle time.
>
> Anyone used these? Do they make much of a difference over NI-MH batts?

I've used them in a Nikon SB24. NiMH should be about as fast. Both
are faster than alkaline.
!