Sign in with
Your question
Solved

External hard drive not found in recovery mode

Last response: in Storage
October 5, 2012 9:43:34 PM

Hello,
I deleted Windows for some reasons and now when I go into recovery mode in boot, it does not show my external hard drive which my backup is in.
a c 317 G Storage
October 5, 2012 9:57:39 PM

Did you actually delete your Windows install by choice? If so, were you expecting to restore from a Windows backup image or a system restore file?

Even if you had a Windows backup image on your external drive, in my experience the Windows backup is not very reliable. I generally use Ghost, TrueImage, or Easeus Todo to clone my OS.

What version of Windows? Do you have a system repair disk CD?

m
l
October 7, 2012 11:41:21 PM

Yes, i deleted by choice thinking that I would recover later with a Windows backup image. I am currently using Windows 7 and I do have a system repair disk.

Thanks for the heads-up. I'm not planning on using WIndows Backup again. I'll look into your suggestion
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a c 317 G Storage
October 8, 2012 1:07:18 AM

I find that if you develop a solid Win7 install, once all the updates and program installs are done, a clone image of both the SRP and C drive with Ghost 15 are 100% reliable to recreate your OS if you have a system repair disk just in case (I only need it 25% of the time to fix the SRP startup disk, most of the time it just works). I've done this dozens of time on many machines.

Probably out of paranoia I image all my system SSD every few months and then just keep key documents backed up. With Ghost at 240Gb SSD is cloned to an external dock mounted HDD in about 15 minutes.

If you go that way, here are some tips on what settings to use in Ghost (first clone the SRP, then the C drive):

For the SRP

Check source for file system errors if you want (I don't)
Check destination for file system errors if you want (I don't)
Set drive active (for booting OS)
DON'T SELECT Disable SmartSector copying
DON'T SELECT Ignore bad sectors during copy
Copy MBR
Destination partition type : Primary
Drive letter : None

For Win7 C drive

Check source for file system errors if you want (I don't)
Check destination for file system errors if you want (I don't)
Resize drive to fill unallocated space (ONLY if you want to I don't unless to a bigger SSD)
DON'T SELECT Disable SmartSector copying
DON'T SELECT Ignore bad sectors during copy
Destination partition type : Primary
Drive letter : None

Good luck!
October 8, 2012 4:01:16 PM

Thanks for the detailed reply!
I'll defiantly look into Ghost, but may I ask what SRP is?
m
l
a c 317 G Storage
October 8, 2012 7:52:20 PM

Windows 7 creates a separate partition of 100Mb that maintains the bootldr and stuff and it is call the system reserved partition (SRP), but it is usually hidden as it has no drive letter, so to see it in Ghost click on show hidden files.
m
l
October 14, 2012 1:58:07 PM

oh yes I have remembered seeing it in disk management.
Thanks for everything!
m
l
October 14, 2012 1:58:43 PM

Best answer selected by Car4David.
m
l
!