Do SATA DVD drives draw more power than PATA DVD drives?

thinkbig

Distinguished
May 11, 2010
The reason I ask is because I just replaced my worn out Lite-On PATA DVD drive with a new Lite-On SATA drive. This is the only thing I changed and as soon as a disc tries to autoplay, or as soon as I try to read files on the disc, the computer restarts. My power supply is older and does not have actual SATA power connectors, so I am using an adapter. Would the SATA DVD drive require just enough more power that it is overloading my power supply with it starts to spin the disc? The Case is a Xion that came with a 450 Watt power supply. I know built in power supplies are not always known for their durability and build quality, but it has lasted me a few years with no problems.

Do you think the power supply is the culprit here? That's what I am leaning toward. If the SATA interface draws more power, approximately how much more does it draw in a DVD drive?

thinkbig

Distinguished
May 11, 2010
I don't think that's the problem. I looked up the specifications on the drive I have iHAS-324-98. The listed voltages are 12 and 5. It does not state that the drive uses 3.3 volts which is what the wikipedia article says could cause problems.

popatim

Titan
disconnect the sata cable, boot up, and insert a dvd, it should spin up the dvd when its inserted by itself. If it works fine then the issue is not the power supply. We just tested spinup which draws the most juice from the pc and is typically under 20w.

No that drive does not use 3.3v, the boxed version even comes with a sata power adapter.

The PATA interface draws more current than the SATA interface but the difference in power between a SATA drive and a PATA drive would be more determined by laser power and motor power than the interface power. The power requirement of a CD drive can be enough to push a faulty power supply over the edge particularly when the head is moving. To prove the point disconnect the data lead to the drive and insert a CD, if the computer restarts then the power supply is at fault.

thinkbig

Distinguished
May 11, 2010
Thanks for all the replies. I will try disconnecting the data cable tomorrow and see if the computer still restarts. What's odd is when I have the disc already in the drive and start the computer up, I can open up a folder to view the files and the files show without the computer restarting (wouldn't that require the disc spinning to show the files)? It doesn't restart until I actually try to open a file or folder on the disc... or as I said when inserting a disc with autoplay. If I recall correctly, don't discs usually spin faster (thus requiring more power) when a file or folder is actually being read?