A Curious Eyeinfinity question...

So, this isn't really something I'm going to do soon as budget is tight atm, but I plan to save up and maybe get 2 more monitors. So currently I have a 24" 1920x1080. I was wondering if the 2 peripheral monitors need to be the exact same resolution? Would it be possible to do 1920x1080 with a pair of 1400x1050 or 1680x1050? Unfortunately the only other 1080 is 2040x1080 which defeats the purpose as I'm wondering basically if you can get smaller peripheral monitors (cheaper, less desk space).

3 24" monitors is just crazy... but awesome.

Wolfshadw

Titan
I'm pretty sure all monitors in an eyefinity set-up need to be the same resolution. So while you probably could use two smaller/lower resolution monitors (say two 17" 1440x900), your 24" monitor would also have to scale down to that resolution. Probably the better bet would be to install a second video card to run the two periphery monitors.

-Wolf sends

Hmm yeah, looks like it's possible to get smaller monitors of the same resolution like 21.5" even, but I guess that might look funny. Well, something to consider anyway. I specifically am looking at Eyeinfinity because you can game with your screens as one big one vs separate monitors you still only get the single screen to play on.

hooray4boobies

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
ATI Eyefinity multi-display technology2,3
Three independent display controllers
Drive three displays simultaneously with independent resolutions, refresh rates, color controls, and video overlays
Display grouping
Combine multiple displays to behave like a single large display

A quote from here ---> http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/ati-radeon-hd-5000/hd-5850/Pages/ati-radeon-hd-5850-specifications.aspx

Whether that applies to games, i don't know as my monitors are exactly the same. The way i see it, in desktop, ati cards have the ability to set 3 different resolutions with 3 different colour etc. where a game would require you to have the same resolution on all three...that being the resolution set by your lowest monitor. But thats just speculation.

I can test this when i get home, as i'm at work now.

It would be great if you could do a quick check. Everything I've seen has pretty much said it has to be the same resolution, but then nobody seems to have actually tested it their just saying their opinion on the matter. It makes sense, particularily that you need to have the same vertical resolution but IMO horizontal should be adjustable... but anyway, if you can do a little test that would be great.