1600$ Gaming & Streaming Build

F1RST

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2010
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: End of July

BUDGET RANGE: $1600

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming, Streaming (Clean HD Streams of Starcraft 2), Web, Movies, Editing

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Monitors, Mouse, Keyboard, OS

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Newegg.ca

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: Canada

PARTS PREFERENCES: Intel

OVERCLOCKING: Yes, Up to 4GHz

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: In the future

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 2 Monitors, 1920 x 1080 ( Gaming only on 1)

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: The BIG question here is about Storage. At start, I wanted to buy a SSD (X25-M) to install my OS and Apps but since I know the new generation is coming this fall, promising cheaper storage, I may be waiting until then to buy one. If I do so, I'm going to Install my games and all on my HDD and transfer them on my SSD in fall. Can I do this ? Sould I reinstall my OS and all of my games instead of transferring them ? Is it really worth waiting for ?

My other concern is about my GPU. I know the GTX 400 series are not the most appreciated GPU here, at Tom's, but I heard some weird problem concerning ATI cards ans Starcraft 2 and that's why I chose the 470. Is it a good choice ? I know I could play SC2 and a lot of games on a 460, but I prefer the power of the 470. Should I buy an ATI card or not ? Which one ?

My last question is about my PSU. Which one should I get if I get a 470 or a 5870 or ...

OH, and is my RAM too high for my Heatsink ?

____________________________________________________________________________________

ANTEC 1200

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 1TB

CORSAIR 850TX

Intel i7-930 Bloomfield & GA-X58A-UD3R

Cheap Lite-On Burner

EVGA GeForce GTX 470 (Fermi)

MUSHKIN Enhencend Redline 6GB 1600 6-8-6

XIGMATEK Dark Knight

GRAND TOTAL: $1,611.74

*IF THE LINKS DON'T WORK' REFRESH TOM'S PAGE*
**Does someone know why links aren't working ? WTF ? **

Actually having seen the benches for SC2 (and of course games across the board) HD 5850 does well and there are specific reasons why reviewers all over dun rate higher end Fermis better buys than HD 5850/5870 (clue: high power consumption, noise/temps at load) :p

As for storage: it's kindda hard to predict GB/$$ getting a lot better for SSDs so the prudent thing is to just use these as OS/boot drives and being extremely selective about what gets installed there IMO