Which Graphics card for cg purposes

akashkodesia

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
Hello friends this is my first post here
I am a student of animation, so i need to buy a graphics card. I don't have budget for workstation graphics card so under my budget i found two graphics card Nvidia GTS 250 and ATI Radeon HD 5770. I found ATI 5770 faster than nvidia gts 250 and it is also haiving old features as compared.
As i am also a game game enthusiast i also use to play games also.
Please guys help me

The HD 5770 will perform on par with the HD 4870/GTX 260.. Then there is DX 11 and other features which makes this card a recommended buy.. However, you being interested in animation and stuff, i'd advice you to get a nvidia card.. Preferably the GTX 260 core 216.. They have lesser driver issues and perform similarly to the HD 5770.. You are just loosing on the DX 11 which is not a significant loss..

akashkodesia

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010

there i also a need of gfx card when u work with heavy scenes and workings with particle and fluid and dynamics

Yeah but its not available by feature on the desktop video cards.. Now, as i suggested before, the 5770 is the better choice given you tend to game more as compared to work (say 60:40).. The GTX 260 will give you a balanced environment.. As for future proofing, a cards performance decides it and since both these cards are at par, both of them become viable choices.. DirectX 11 is hardly a factor.. More since apps like 3DS Max etc. still employ DX 9 heavily..