Aug 28, 2008
I got 2 pcs
1st pc spec is mentioned on my sig

2nd pc
AMD Phenom II X4 945
Asus 785Chipset Mobo
2GB DDR3
Integrated HD4200

2 PC processes on background is more or less the same, there are only 35~38 processes, but when idle, my AMD shows around 10~15% CPU Usage while my Core i7 shows 0~2% only, ok, even I disable the HT on my i7, it still only makes the usage <5%.
Why is this happening?

And also, my AMD can't even give me smooth playback on 1080p MKVs or M2TS on Media player classics, and it only uses like 20~50% of my CPU and still, it lags.

If I can't really get rid of this problem(1080p, not the CPU usage), I might get rid of my AMD pc...

And another question, which processor uses less energy when idle, AMD Phenom II X4 945(90W) or Intel Core i3 560

Thanks in advance.

Solution
Dude ...

The 128MB DDR2 Side-Port on the IGP is a frame buffer. You are trying to feed it with 32MB of shared system RAM. You are choking the snot out of the IGP and severely limiting its performance.

And if you do not install the Avivo UVD the IGP will not provide hardware acceleration and reduce CPU utilization. Look Here --->> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATI_Avivo#ATI_Avivo_HD

How many more posts are necessary in this thread for you to understand this :) ?
Well, the AMD PC is using on board video while the Intel machine has a graphics card. The AMD system is using more processing power because it is using shared resources. The Intel system has a powerful graphics card that can offload more stuff from the CPU.

Is this really what you wanted to ask? The Intel system looks like a Viper and the AMD system looks like an economy Ford focus.

You want to clear up the playback problems with the AMD system? Add a nice HTPC type video card like the HD 4670.

xyzionz

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2008
Features like OpenCL, Directcompute and CUDA, do they offload normal windows tasks as well?
When playing 1080p videos, I tried disable dxva or GPU acceleration to compare, Intel runs well but AMD lags behind.

fatedcloud

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2009

Okay, your dedicated graphics cards are the difference. Your AMD processor has to basically process the graphical processes AND the non-graphical processes with no help from a dedicated GPU meaning it needs to use more resources. Your Intel PC has a GTX 275 and on top of the i7 being a better CPU, yes there will be a visable difference. The GTX 275 processes the graphical processes by executing the graphical parallels while the i7 does all the background work and just instructs the GPU. Your AMD PC's processor has to process the graphical processes, executing and writing them by using your integrated chipset and RAM which is a lot more work then saying "GPU do this and i'll do the other stuff". In short get your AMD PC a good dedicated graphics card and you will see a big difference.

Well, certainly running video should be offloaded to the video card. The point is that you're making an apples to oranges comparison. Some of the difference may be from subtle differences in software. Some of it may simply be the core i7 is handling tasks more efficiently than the Phenom II, I am certain there is plenty of evidence available anywhere on the web of the superiority of the Intel architecture.

The Intel system has 3 gigs of ram, the AMD system has 2 gigs..I could go on.

Ok, lets say there is a problem with the AMD system, which I can't be certain there isn't but i haven't heard anything yet that convinces me there is. Have you checked the latest drivers? It sounds like this system has always operated this way. Are there other things happening that point to a problem?

As far as offloading other tasks, yeah there's 2D graphics and if you're running aero..Integrated graphics are always going to lag behind a dedicated card with its own memory, processors, busses.

xyzionz

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2008
Okay, thanks for the replies.
So which means Directcompute, OpenCL and CUDA are really functioning to offload normal windows task from the CPU?

But when I tried to play 1080p videos, I disabled the dxva or GPU acceleration, I only see about 20~50% load on the AMD CPU, which means it is not using all it's resources to process the decoding, how do I fully utilize the CPU to do the rendering with 100% of it's potential?

Anyway, the 2nd computer is only meant to do my work like photoshop, flash and dreamweaver, emails, so I don't really think I need the power.

Okay this might get off the topic, as you said the GTX275 offload some of the job from my CPU and that makes a difference. Well I got one old laptop which the specs are Celeron 560 2.1GHz, 2GB DDR2, 965Express graphics with only 8MB VRAM, but it can render my Windows 7 Aero smoothly while my AMD machine with HD4200(128MB sideport and 32MB UMA) can't do the thing smoothly, I need to refresh my desktop A LOT to make it smooth again when it started to lag.

xyzionz

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2008
I'm using 10.8 I guess since when I install, it says no GPU found or something but when I check device manager it says the driver dated on 03/August/2010 and I assume the drivers are installed.

Well actually there's no major problem with my 2nd PC just that I'm being stingy, sorry for that.

I know i7 is superior than the Phenoms when comes to architecture, but the difference won't be that much, isn't it?

Timop

Distinguished
I think its an software issue, either your video drivers are borked, the BIOS is old, Bad windows installations or your codecs are messed up.

The 945 + HD4200 should do a great job at decoding 1080P, try driver-sweeping and reinstalling all AMD drivers and see if it helps. Even my 5200+ plays back 1080p decently.

fatedcloud

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2009

It really depends on the design of you integrated chipset. Your old laptops integrated chipset is probably better then the ATI.

fatedcloud

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2009

That, and he might have a virus.

In rendering flash, possibly. Remember, the HD4200 is still integrated.

When it comes to processor load, I would expect them to be quite different.

Let's go back to your issue however. Some of these folks are right in that the HD4290 should be quite capable of displaying 1080p video smoothly. I mentioned the drivers because some folks have been having difficulty with both the 10.8 and 10.9 catalyst. Before we start a debate here I should mention that nVidia also has recently had its troubles with driver updates. Both companies are fallible.

Interesting that one guy mentions a BIOS issue. That could be a possible source of trouble. It still sounds like this is a persistent issue you've always had with this machine, although you didn't say if that was the case. After we've talked some more, I think you may have a software issue that is causing the playback quality problems.

I would try some different versions of catalyst to be certain it is not a driver issue. I would also perform a search about your particular motherboard and see if you come across any patterns of 1080p playback. Finally I would go to the ASUS website and check the forums, there are some very helpful folks over there that may be able to pinpoint an issue for you.

fatedcloud

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2009

Never said it wasn't. They are both integrated so they both suck. Which one sucks the most, the GMA 3000 11.7GB bandwidth. But maybe his HD 4200's chipset is going bad, his cpu temps on the amd could be high. It could be a number of things. Go with the most simple things first. Make sure you don't have a virus, reinstall all drivers, check cpu and internal temps, your volts in bios.

xyzionz

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2008
Thanks for the replies, I don't think is a virus issue, I just had a full system scan with MSE.
This copy of Windows 7 is still clean, I only updated the drivers, but I will try to sweep the drivers and let you guys know the result.
My CPU idles at 34ºc, my chipset 42ºc(OC to 700MHz)

BUT I can play Warcraft III at 1920x1080 with full high details, Torchlight 1920x1080 all high except shadows being medium. That's the weird part, it can play game well but can't handle Windows 7 Aero.

devorakman112

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2010
windows 7 aero theme is actually quite demanding on the graphics. all the translucent effects and snazzy stuff is handled in the gpu department, which your amd system doesnt have.

onboard graphics are lethally limited compared to discreet cards. they are powered by the cpu, use system memory that is significantly slower the gddr memory, and not only is the memory slower, but it has farther to travel and more chips to go through.

your bottom line is you need some kind of dedicated graphics card to reduce the system load on your amd system.

xyzionz

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2008
Okay the drivers I had tried in the pass, Windows HD4200 driver(Dated at xx/09/2009), then 10.4, 10.5 and 10.8, they all have the problem.

There I got some screenshots for you guys.

xyzionz

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2008
devorakman112, sorry but I mention up there that my old Celeron 560 and 965Express can handle Windows 7 Aero, how do you explain that?

Take a look on my screenshots, my CPU seems to be always busy doing something. Haha
And about the GPU-Z I don't understand why it show wrong info like 112MB VRAM, it should be 128+32MB??
Then PCI interface?? o_Oa

fatedcloud

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2009

What's the difference in the number of processes that each computer is processing? The amount of memory each is using idle as well.

xyzionz

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2008
Actually I don't really mind the CPU usage now, but I'll tell you the stats as well.
My i7 machine idles with 35~38 processes, the 46 on screenshot is actually i open a lot of chrome tabs and CPU-Z they all, if you take out those, it will make around 35~38 as well.

The problem is, do I have a defective chipset or something.
Cause it can play games flawlessly but can't handle Windows 7 Aero.

Forgot to mention is that, if I enable hardware acceleration for flash, whenever I play youtube or flv video on chrome or IE, the video will turn into a whole green video, only got audio but no video.

And also it crash on Plant Vs Zombies if I enable hardware acceleration as well.
But it can play both Warcraft III and Torchlight on 1920x1080 all high.

Screenshot when playing 1080p

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I can't even enable dxva, it will crash horribly.

fatedcloud

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2009

I would say it could be a compatibility problem with Windows Aero or something of the like. Cheap fix is to get a dedicated graphics card. Doesn't have to be an expensive one. I'm pretty sure everyone here would agree that getting a dedicated GPU would fix the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.