sueyq

Honorable
Oct 5, 2012
my hard drive is full is there any way to recover space so that I can continue to use it. I am on a mac and it serves as the backup for the main hard drive in the mac. it does pop up a message stating that i need to fix it and it is available for limited use

Have you considered moving some of the less frequently used files to a DVD or another external drive? Are there any files that you can live without and simply delete them? Is the drive you are referring to a drive that you use to back up your Mac? Sorry for so many questions. I want to make sure I understand what you need to be better able to help you.

sueyq

Honorable
Oct 5, 2012
thanks kenrivers, I have moved the most important files to flash drives and so what is left is not important and yes the drive (iomega hdd ) was being used as the back up for the mac. I was wondering if I can if I dump every thing off the iomega can I still use it for a back up. but I dont see any way to delete every thing off of it unless I do it piece by piece. which is long and so time consuming . it did however last for 6 years.

sueyq

Honorable
Oct 5, 2012
sorry it took me so long to get back. I lost the site and I did not enable the notification of any future post. but I got it now thanks for any and all help and suggestions. sue

sueyq

Honorable
Oct 5, 2012
thank you so much for that information and that is what I did but I had to do some sort of zero erase and that did the trick somewhat I think I will also have to dump or erase the main drive now too since I have had the time to but my pictures and music and other things on the flash drives. some of the functions are not working so I think that is now what I have to do with the main drive as well and the reload the system with the original stuff. I am learning and I need to learn too . it took 13 hours for the system to do that zero erase however. and I imagine that the same amount of time will be taken with the main hard drive. thanks. trail and error.

I understand and wish you the best. I have learned more from my mistakes than my successes which ties into my favorite quote "Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want". Learning by doing is the best way. Please let me know if I can be of any assistance in the future.