New drive not working?

ShepJacker

Honorable
Sep 30, 2012
I've made a topic about my hdd (http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/290658-32-samsung-dying) a few days ago, so I went ahead and bought a new WD caviar blue 1tb. Then, I tried to clone/transfer all the data from the old drive to the new one using WD Acronis.

During the cloning process, I ignored all the bad sectors. After the process ended, I booted up the pc with two hdds intact, now with more ticking but was able to boot normally, went into My Computer and saw that there are 6 partitions(3 from old, 3 from new).

Since I though it was cloned I turned off the pc, took out the old hdd and tried booting up with the new hdd only. It still had the same ticking issue but it went through and started a chkdsk, I just let it run till the end and no errors was reported. However, when it reboots, the ticking issue got worse(now 6-7 times and nothing is showing up on screen). I don't want to believe a new hard drive that I just installed can be infected with the same problem that fast.
UPDATE: Now I tried putting back the old drive and it booted normally, put the new drive in as well and got the same result.

So what is the issue here, what should I do to be able to boot my pc normally with the new hard drive only? Help is greatly appreciated.

You can not clone a bad drive and expect the new on to boot normal! You need to reinstall windows on the new drive, connect the old one (as long as it's working) and copy your data file by file. It might look like your old drive is working again, because it reallocated the bad blocks for the moment, but don't expect that to last long.

ShepJacker

Honorable
Sep 30, 2012

Well, after searching for a long time, I tried to set the new drive as active through disk management at the admin tools and removed the old drive. It finally worked, booted and running fine so far.