Sign in with
Your question

Upgrade 4GB to 8GB or 12GB

Tags:
Last response: in Memory
May 11, 2011 6:20:22 PM

I currently have 2X2GB sticks on my PC running as dual channel in my ASUS P7P55 LX motherboard.

I have a lot of background apps open such as backup, teamviewer for ipad, print server, air video for iPad, norton 360, etc and my RAM Usage stays at 50% most of the time.

I am wanting to upgrade but wondering if I should go for 2X2GB sticks or 2X4GB sticks?

If I get 2X4GB sticks, I will have 12GB altogether.

I only use my PC for browsing the net, work and itunes, etc, but I also encode and burn DVDs here and then.

So, will I notice a difference upgrading, and should I upgrade to 8GB or 12GB?

I am swaying towards 8GB as its cheaper but 12 GB ram sound cool, but I am guessing it is just overkill.

These are the items I am currently considering:

For 4GB: G-Skill 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1600Mhz RipjawsX Memory Kit CL8 (8-8-8-24) 1.5V

For 8GB: G-Skill 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600Mhz RipjawsX Memory Kit CL9 (9-9-9-24) 1.5V which is £70

More about : upgrade 4gb 8gb 12gb

May 11, 2011 6:51:04 PM

Also, my current ram is Geil 1333MHz afail running in dual channel mode. Would it cause problems if I was to get RAM of a different brand and higher specs and add the pair to the remaining two RAM slots?
May 11, 2011 7:01:11 PM

8GB should be enough. Check this article by THG.

Don't mix, but match the RAM! If you mix DDR3-1333 with DDR3-1600, it'll all run at 1333. And may crash if the timings are different (i.e. 8-8-8-24 & 9-9-9-27)

Get the 8GB kit, and ditch your 4GB.
Related resources
May 11, 2011 7:17:09 PM

foscooter said:
8GB should be enough. Check this article by THG.

Don't mix, but match the RAM! If you mix DDR3-1333 with DDR3-1600, it'll all run at 1333. And may crash if the timings are different (i.e. 8-8-8-24 & 9-9-9-27)

Get the 8GB kit, and ditch your 4GB.

Really? I am quite upset. My PC is only about 8-10 months old.

Is the above true for all motherboards regardless of the specs?
May 11, 2011 7:44:38 PM

Here are screenshots, can you confirm I have 133MHz ram? I am an amateur.

I am considering bidding on this ram if I can get it for a tenner or so. Does it look ok? The ram I have atm looks "naked" i.e. no shielding on sides, etc.
a c 104 } Memory
May 11, 2011 8:12:58 PM

Some motherboards arevery sensitive to mismatched ram. Even the same vendor and part number can be manufacturered differently. That is why ram is sold in kits.

Most of the time, it is not a problem, particularly with newer chipsets like P55.

You should match the voltage(1.5v) and the speed 1333, and latency if you can. The ram will operate at the lowest common denominator of specs, so paying more for 1600 is not of any advantage.

Ram is cheap, I suggest you get a 8gb(2 x 4gb) kit of ddr3 1333 ram. You will not be losing out on any noticeable performance between 1333 and 1600. Perhaps 1% in real application performance or fps. Synthetic benchmarks show a big difference, but are irrelevant to most of us who are not record seeking overclockers.
Check the ram vendor's configurator to be certain that the ram kit is supporten on your motherboard. You want support if there should ever be an issue.

I think 8gb is a good number, but 12gb is good also. If you use sleep to the s3 state instead of shutting down or hibernation, you will find everythign you regularly use already loaded whenever you start up.
May 11, 2011 8:21:15 PM

geofelt said:
Some motherboards arevery sensitive to mismatched ram. Even the same vendor and part number can be manufacturered differently. That is why ram is sold in kits.

Most of the time, it is not a problem, particularly with newer chipsets like P55.

You should match the voltage(1.5v) and the speed 1333, and latency if you can. The ram will operate at the lowest common denominator of specs, so paying more for 1600 is not of any advantage.

Ram is cheap, I suggest you get a 8gb(2 x 4gb) kit of ddr3 1333 ram. You will not be losing out on any noticeable performance between 1333 and 1600. Perhaps 1% in real application performance or fps. Synthetic benchmarks show a big difference, but are irrelevant to most of us who are not record seeking overclockers.
Check the ram vendor's configurator to be certain that the ram kit is supporten on your motherboard. You want support if there should ever be an issue.

I think 8gb is a good number, but 12gb is good also. If you use sleep to the s3 state instead of shutting down or hibernation, you will find everythign you regularly use already loaded whenever you start up.

Is 12GB really worth the extra if I don game or photoshop, etc?

I am looking at and at the moment, do these look ok?
a c 104 } Memory
May 11, 2011 9:41:24 PM

kazaam said:
Is 12GB really worth the extra if I don game or photoshop, etc?

I am looking at and at the moment, do these look ok?

Value is a personal thing; something you must decide for yourself.
Here is one link to the benefits:
http://blog.corsair.com/?p=65
Another use for ram is a ramdisk.
May 11, 2011 9:52:52 PM

geofelt said:
Value is a personal thing; something you must decide for yourself.
Here is one link to the benefits:
http://blog.corsair.com/?p=65
Another use for ram is a ramdisk.

I doubt I will use ramdisk seeing as switching the pc off means all the data is wiped from the ram, even though I use sleep most of the time.

I think I may just go for 4GB pgrade atm to take my system to 8GB
May 12, 2011 12:06:50 AM

I'm having a RAM dilemma myself, but in your case, I'd opt for the 2x4GB and see how it goes. 8GB seems like a pretty decent amount given what you do. If you still feel you need more when you encode a movie, add 2x4GB more in the 2 slots you still have open.
May 12, 2011 5:59:16 AM

noonin said:
I'm having a RAM dilemma myself, but in your case, I'd opt for the 2x4GB and see how it goes. 8GB seems like a pretty decent amount given what you do. If you still feel you need more when you encode a movie, add 2x4GB more in the 2 slots you still have open.

Thanks for the reply :hello:  . I have thought about it and I can't really justify spending £70 or so on 8GB more RAM.
I think I will go for 2x2GB at the moment which will fill my slots with 4X2GB and I will see about adding more later if I need to by the time RAM should hopefully be cheaper.

I only encode movies quite rarely now acually now that I could to think about as I have my media player which reads files from memory cards and sticks.

16GB sounds awesome but can't splash out too much after getting the iPad 2 :( 
May 12, 2011 6:01:39 AM

If I really feel I need more RAM later, I will cross that bridge when I come to it but for now I am sure 8GB should be sufficient for my needs.

P.s. Why can't I edit any of my own posts, it says I'm not allowed. :( 
May 12, 2011 12:36:34 PM

kazaam said:
Thanks for the reply :hello:  . I have thought about it and I can't really justify spending £70 or so on 8GB more RAM.
I think I will go for 2x2GB at the moment which will fill my slots with 4X2GB and I will see about adding more later if I need to by the time RAM should hopefully be cheaper.

I only encode movies quite rarely now acually now that I could to think about as I have my media player which reads files from memory cards and sticks.

16GB sounds awesome but can't splash out too much after getting the iPad 2 :( 

Sounds like a good perspective. 16GB is a lot of RAM, more than it sounds like you have use for. There are no guarantees that if you decide to add more in a couple years, it won't cost you a little more per gig, but 8GB is still a pretty decent amount and you can always pull 2x2GB sticks out and add 2x4GB later (or just get 2 4GB sticks now, for a total of 12GB, and be done)
May 12, 2011 1:13:50 PM

I upgraded from 6GB to 12GB a little while back, and to be honest there's not much difference in performance. I'd go for 8GB if I were you.
May 12, 2011 4:18:26 PM

I am planning on going for two more 2GB 1333MHz ram sticks.

i could go for 2X4GB 1600MHz sticks but then they will run at 1333MHz due to my existng 1333MHz sticks but I'd have 12GB then and I think it would be overkill for me, the 1600MHz ripjawsx 1600MHz 8GB kit I am looking at is actually cheaper than the equivalent 1333MHz
!