I3-530 vs Phenom II x4

Rodmantis

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
I've seen the latest best cpu for the money chart, and I've seen these two as the winners in their respective price range, nevertheless the motherboard varies.

The price for the Phenom II x4 945 in my country is $188 + 102 for the motherboard, while the i3-530 retails for 149 + 160 for the motherboard. Giving a total cost of 280 for the AMD config and a cost of 310 for the Intel Based one.

The PC is meant for standard home usage (having office, youtube, and a video game open at the same time).
The system will have 2 gigs of ram, a zotac gt 240 ddr5, a seagate drive and a 400 watt psu.

Rodmantis

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
I will get one strip of 2 gigs of ram and probably another one in a month or two. Nevertheless, the CPU is something I can't easily change, so I would like to know which of those two suits me best

Timop

Distinguished
The Phenom will be better, since youll be running multiple programs at the same time, the 2 extra core will shine through.

But Id really get 4GB at the same time, you'll have a pretty bad computer for a month with only 2GB.

Where do you live? Whats the pricing on the Athlon X4?

The Phenom II is the obvious better choice here.. But i'll recommend sticking with Timop's suggestion.. Your usage scenario is well served that way.. If you wish to get one from the Phenom II lineup then its recommended you add up some cash and get one from the X6 series..

The Phenom II is the obvious better choice here.. But i'll recommend sticking with Timop's suggestion.. Your usage scenario is well served that way.. If you wish to get one from the Phenom II lineup then its recommended you add up some cash and get one from the X6 series..

The phenom and Athlon are the same core , but the phenom has an L3 cache .

It seems to me that an athlon x4 640 has about equivalent performance to the i3 530. So why not use one of those? It would be cheaper than the Phenom , and combined with a good 880G chipset motherboard [ so you dont have to buy a graphics card immediately ] you could also afford the 4 gig of RAM now

elixir4001

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2010

This sounds like a good idea

Rodmantis

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
Yeap, that sounds as a good idea, but I'd rather have my video card now and THEN the gigs of ram (it's just a months wait).

Should I invest much in the platform? Cause they're selling me a 100 dollar AMD motherboard with integrated video, but they also carry a 60 dollar platform with no video, where I could use my videocard instead.

elixir4001

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2010
If you're for sure going to buy a vid card in my opinion there's no reason to get on board video. Save 60 and get the cheaper one as long as the MBs are comparable.

And also if you're really going to buy the ram in a month make sure you do and not just say oh I'll get it next month, etc etc lol. It will really benefit you