Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Two different size drives, can i partition one for raid?

Last response: in Storage
October 6, 2012 11:29:40 AM

I have a 3 TB HDD and a spare 750 GB drive. I also have a pare 64 GB SSD which I have been using intel rst on the 2TB drive (windows has forced me to partition the 3 TB drive into two pieces).

I am not really happy with RST, it seems kind of buggy and is frequently crashing and forcing me to rebuild the cache.

My question is could i partition the 750 GB of the 2 TB HDD and match with the stand alone hard drive into raid 0? WOuld i then be able tp use the remaining partiitions of the original 3 TB HDD as stand alone drives, drives or is this just a pipe dream.

If so, what would be the optimum setup for a 128 GB SSD, 64 GGB SSD, 750 GB HDD, and 3 TB HDD.

Thanks for your help,

Kindly,

Rob

More about : size drives partition raid

a c 353 G Storage
October 6, 2012 2:05:15 PM

1) if you pair a 750 HDD and a a larger HDD (ie 2 TB) you lose the Space exceeding the 750 (Partitioning does not fix) Creating the Array looks at the Whole Disk.

2) Ideal setup, What I do on all my systems.
A) SSD, 120/128 gig, for OS + Programs.
B) SSD #2 setup as a "working/scratch" disk. Has just the files I most often access.
C) Large HDD (preferably 1 TB drives) - Larger OK, just I find that the 1 TB models seams to be less user probmatic.

In my systems, My OS + programs are on a 128 gig SSD (Samsung 830 in desk top) and 128 gig Curcial M4 in laptop. then Both systems have a 256 gig SSD for "scratch" disk. Desktop has a 1TB Samsung F3 (Before sold down the river to Seagate).

Added: I know - Why use the Smaller SSD for OS as the 256 Gig is faster - Ans, While benchmarks show it as faster, In real life I can not tell the diff. I'm not a gamer so only using about 35 gigs on OS. So would have to partition the 256 gig to limit OS + Program then would have a "D" and "E" SSD drive, Just didn't make sense. As Is I normally end up with C-> G for HDD drive letters. If Small systyem partitions pop up (like the 100 mb on a SSD) I push them to like N or M. Normally skip one or two dive letters after HDD for DVD drives' Often have a Blu-ray writer and a DVD writer (Like a back up DVD drive). - End added

My older desktop (i5-750) has a 120 gig Pheonix Pro for OS and a 80 gig Intel G2 both on sata 2 port. Plus a WD Black sata III HDD on PCI-e Asus U3S6 card.
m
l
October 6, 2012 5:11:36 PM

Thanks that's helpful. ANd I guess you don't really need intel RST with close to 200 GB of SSD. THe 3 tb drive I had according to Sandra ran from 150-150 MbS per second.

Is there anyway to join both ssd's as a partiiton, without reinstalling windows?

Can you join the 2tb Drive, with the partition windows forced me to make to get the remainder up to 3 TB.

THanks again. That is great advice.

IMHO as well, I have had nothing but issues with Intel RST.
m
l
Related resources
a c 353 G Storage
October 6, 2012 8:15:37 PM

Have not been too fond of SRT.
If the OS is installed on the SSD (correctly) you can clone the 60 gig SSD to the larger 128 gig SSD, then use Windows 7 Disk management to expand the 60 gig partition to use the full size.
But thought that your 60 gig was part of a SRT configuration, which means the OS is on the HDD. If that is the case, HIGHLY recommend you do a clean install -0 with the BIOS set to AHCI, and the HDD disconnected during the install of windows to the SSD.
m
l
October 7, 2012 12:47:41 AM

RetiredChief said:
Have not been too fond of SRT.
If the OS is installed on the SSD (correctly) you can clone the 60 gig SSD to the larger 128 gig SSD, then use Windows 7 Disk management to expand the 60 gig partition to use the full size.
But thought that your 60 gig was part of a SRT configuration, which means the OS is on the HDD. If that is the case, HIGHLY recommend you do a clean install -0 with the BIOS set to AHCI, and the HDD disconnected during the install of windows to the SSD.

OS is on 128 GB SSD. I was using 60 GB SSD as cache for RST on the hdd bur i think a better solution would be to combine the two SSD's. So how can i combine the 120 GB SSD with the 60 GB SSD? THE 60 GGB SSD is effectively empty, as it was just used for cache.

Interestingly when i disabled RST throught the intel app, and switched the bios back to ahci, unplugged my surplus 750 GB HDD, i now get BSOD! I guess what doesn't kill us makes us stronger, but what a pain.

I tried switching the SSD to the first 6g sata port, to no avail.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Coocoo
m
l
a c 353 G Storage
October 7, 2012 2:22:14 AM

I'm guessing you did the install to the SSD with the HDD connected, if so the Boot Info is on the HDD and with it disconnected can not find it.- Reason you disconnect all HDDs when installing windows on a SSD.
m
l
October 7, 2012 7:36:53 AM

OK that makes more sense. I was able to fix it, by reinstalling windows, ugh, after hours trying to debug and repair.

If I could be bold enough to ask a final question? RetiredChief you have been incredibly helpful.

Now I have windows installed on my 60 GB SSD. What is the process for combining this drive with my 120 GB SSD?

Thanks you so much for all of your help. I definitely owe u a beer.
m
l

Best solution

a c 353 G Storage
October 7, 2012 12:38:13 PM

Called spanning.
See: http://mintywhite.com/vista/span-volumes-widows-drives/
or
Google "spanning two hard drives "
October 7, 2012 8:01:28 PM

Best answer selected by coocoo bananas.
m