Milo H

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2010
Hello everybody!

A few days ago, I upgraded my build from:
Phenom II X3 720 @ 3.4, Asus M4A78-Pro, 4GB DDR2 @ 800
to
i7 950 @ 3.0, MSI X58 Pro-E, 6GB G.Skill Ripjaws

I had multiple cooling problems with the stock cooler, it would hit 80c and then shut off, so I went to a local computer store. I wanted a CPU cooler, and I assumed the guy knew everything (he recommended to a couple earlier, to just download MSE, he help a man identify what kind of cable he needed, etc).

Long story short, he gave me the Asus Silent Square Evo, it was only compatible with LGA 775 and older gen AMD boards. When I got home, I was disgusted at the fat that I did not look at the back of the box to see if it supported 1366. So I did a bit of google searching, and I found that some people had found a 1366 Bracket for this cooler. I looked on Asus's website, and I couldn't find anything.

I can return this cooler, but it will only amount to store credit. And I am going back today to see if they have any 1366 coolers. But on the little stand that said, "Heatsinks" the only cpu heatsink was this one.

Please help me find a 1366 bracket!

Solution
That cooler isn't very good anyway so you won't see any benefit attaching it to a very hot Core i7

Take it back to the shop, but I'd discuss with him the "store credit" thing because he's actually mis-sold it to you - he's sold you something that either he knows is not fit for purpose, or through his lack of knowledge is not fit for purpose.

Now if he insists on store credit only, get him to order in specially a cooler that will work: Cooler Master Hyper 212+ is nice and cheap but very good.

How much did you spend?

LePhuronn

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
That cooler isn't very good anyway so you won't see any benefit attaching it to a very hot Core i7

Take it back to the shop, but I'd discuss with him the "store credit" thing because he's actually mis-sold it to you - he's sold you something that either he knows is not fit for purpose, or through his lack of knowledge is not fit for purpose.

Now if he insists on store credit only, get him to order in specially a cooler that will work: Cooler Master Hyper 212+ is nice and cheap but very good.

How much did you spend?

Solution

Milo H

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2010
Approximately $40...

I feel pretty ripped off, I took it back and got store credit, I did argue back to him that he mis-sold me the cooler, but the manager came out and said he couldn't do anything. I guess I'll wait a little while and save up for an H50.

LePhuronn

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
I wouldn't bother with the H50 either - it's nothing special and really only performs as well as good air coolers.

Convenience is its selling point, but for $40 see how much the Titan Fenrir is as that's an excellent cooler.

Status
Not open for further replies.