Sign in with
Your question

Will it do the job?

Last response: in Storage
October 6, 2012 2:47:24 PM

Whatup everyone

I need a dedicated drive for recording gameplay, which means I need a drive to be able to write probably 180-200 Mbyte/sec. Now I was thinking an SSD would do this, but I have been told that they are only good for small writes and reads, not huge, prolonged ones which is what i need.

So my question is, will a WD Black SATA 3 1TB be enough? if not will 2 in RAID 0 be enough?

I'm currently using a WDC Velociraptor 600GB for recording, but since my computer is quite old, it only got SATA 2 (3 Gbit/s) on the motherboard, while the drive itself is capable of SATA 3. Will that mean that drive is capable of twice the speed I'm experiencing atm, on a mobo with SATA 3?

To be honest any advice and clearification on this subject would be awesome, as Hard Drives, and SSD's is by far the type of hardware I'm least familiar with.

More about : job

a c 104 G Storage
October 6, 2012 3:51:06 PM

Hi there,

Download HD Tune, and run the performance tab to see the Max Min, and Average Transfer rates of the Raptor. That will give us a baseline to project how much benefit you might get from a Caviar Black or a 256GB SSD.
October 6, 2012 4:04:00 PM

John_VanKirk said:
Hi there,

Download HD Tune, and run the performance tab to see the Max Min, and Average Transfer rates of the Raptor. That will give us a baseline to project how much benefit you might get from a Caviar Black or a 256GB SSD.

I will do, but you seem to dismiss most of my post (assuming you know the answers ofc). If I put the Raptor in a SATA 3 instead of a SATA 2 (i'm building a new PC soon, which naturally will have SATA 3), increase the performance by 100% as SATA 3 is suppose to be twice as fast, and the HDD is designed for it?

Anyway I'll be back with the results of the HD Tune test in a moment
Related resources
October 6, 2012 4:10:28 PM

EDIT (or not, can't edit): I can't use HD Tune as it requires the drive to be unpartitioned. However I tested the write speed with another program, and it claims it to be about 120 Mbyte/sec (and about 35% of the drive is full)
a c 104 G Storage
October 6, 2012 5:38:49 PM

Sokar408 said:
EDIT (or not, can't edit): I can't use HD Tune as it requires the drive to be unpartitioned. However I tested the write speed with another program, and it claims it to be about 120 Mbyte/sec (and about 35% of the drive is full)

Regarding HD Tune, it wil install in any basic partition, and will analyze the drive you choose, not just a single partition, or only the drive it is installed on. Very well recognized program for testing.

Regarding the speed of your Raptor, The SATA II protocol speed is ~ 2400 Mb/s, or 300 MB/s. So your raptor speed of 120MB/s won't even come close to saturating the SATA II speed. Hooking it up to a SATA III port won't change the drive. Even if you got 200MB/s, it wouldn't saturate the SATA II speed.

Here is an article reviewing the latest Raptors and comparing speeds to other HDDs that might be helpful.

http://www.techradar.com/us/reviews/pc-mac/pc-component...

Using RAID0 will give you both read and write speeds theoretically = times the number of drives in the array. So, if you used 2 raptors like you have, you might get 240MB/s or less, still below the SATA II saturation.
October 6, 2012 11:00:10 PM

John_VanKirk said:
Regarding HD Tune, it wil install in any basic partition, and will analyze the drive you choose, not just a single partition, or only the drive it is installed on. Very well recognized program for testing.

Regarding the speed of your Raptor, The SATA II protocol speed is ~ 2400 Mb/s, or 300 MB/s. So your raptor speed of 120MB/s won't even come close to saturating the SATA II speed. Hooking it up to a SATA III port won't change the drive. Even if you got 200MB/s, it wouldn't saturate the SATA II speed.

Here is an article reviewing the latest Raptors and comparing speeds to other HDDs that might be helpful.

http://www.techradar.com/us/reviews/pc-mac/pc-component...

Using RAID0 will give you both read and write speeds theoretically = times the number of drives in the array. So, if you used 2 raptors like you have, you might get 240MB/s or less, still below the SATA II saturation.

Could there be other factors beyond the Hard Drive that would slow it down like this?
October 6, 2012 11:39:47 PM

Could be file size, could be background processes, could be how badly your drive is fragmented. I've yet to get advertised throughput on any drive I've used. I think with my WD Blue SATAII drives connected to SATA III controller I get around 30mb/s.
!