CPU not performing well

mora978

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2010
I have three s478 cpus. I just got a pentium 4 3.4GHz SL7E6 processor, and when i tested it, it didnt perform as well as a 2400MHz one. Also there is a high pitch sound coming from the machine when i'm using the 3.4GHz one. My question is: do you know such a malfunction of cpu? Or have you heard about something like this?

Thanks

Solution

I'm pretty sure you're hearing frequency...

mora978

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2010
I didn't overclock any of them. And absolutely not overheating, cause a cooler-master hyper 6 with two noctua fans is cooling the processor...
Anyway thanks for the reply

popatim

Titan
I've never heard of a processor making noise. I assume the different cpu's are going into the exact same system and the 3,4 is the only one making noise.

Is it working fine except for the noise and slowness?
Are you sure your motherboard supports this processor?

The high pitched noise could just be the CPU fan. After all, 3.4Ghz P4 CPUs run alot hotter than an old 2.4Ghz one so it could be overheating and throttling itself so it doesn't catch fire. If it's a super high pitched electronic whine though it could be that your PSU can't keep up with delivering extra power to the CPU and that can cause all sorts of problems.

Does it whine under load or at idle? I ask because my Asus mobo (P7P55D Pro) can have a whine at idle if I have C6 enabled. I use C3 instead and it's perfectly quiet. I'm wondering if maybe when the new CPU was installed it maybe changed the BIOS and activated a higher C state or something... Just a thought (probably doesn't apply here but who knows)

mora978

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2010
Thanks for the replies. To answer some questions: yes it does whine due to the load of the cpu. The system is the same, i tried with more cpus. All of them are working great except the 3.4GHz one. i really don't understand, never seen such a thing. i'm using WinXP and Debian in dual boot. i benchmarked the processors with multiple programs on both OSs. 3.4Ghz performs worse than P4 2.8Ghz without HT enabled. The heatsink is okay (Cooler-Master Hyper 6 - really big one). Max temperature with any cpus at load is under 45°C. And also not the fans making the noise (two 8cm noctua). Motherboard supports cpu. Only thing i can think of that somehow there is a problem with voltages around the cpu.

fatedcloud

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2009

I'm pretty sure you're hearing frequency interference of some sort. That CPU runs at 3.4GHz though you cannot hear 3.4Ghz it's possible that the CPU's clock signal is malfunctioning in a way that for a very short period of time that it is running at 3.4GHz it drops down to 20 Hz to 20 kHz for a very short amount of time making you able to actually hear the CPU.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS