Crash followed by resolution problems

jblock2490

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2009
Hello,
I recently purchased a new VGA cable to replace my older faulty one which caused a lot of screen tearing. Upon installing the new cable, my screen resolution was set to 1600x1200 where it should be 1920x1080. I am using a 25 inch I-Ink LCD monitor. I was able to bump up the resolution to the appropriate level at this time, although the monitor was recognized as "generic non-pnp monitor" instead of the iF125H that it usually was. While gaming, my computer froze (it tends to do that sometimes as I don't think my case is providing sufficient cooling for the graphics card (XFX GTX260 Black Edition). However, I have never had any serious trouble with this until now. After a crash, the resolution reset to 1600x1200 and I am unable to even set the display at a higher level, and all other resolutions that are lower that I attempt to change it to results in my screen going blank with "Bad Input Range" or something like that. When I open Dawn of War 2, the menus are fully accessible but any 3D image being rendered previously has been replaced with a dark pink background and some blurry words that say "Out of vidmemory". Oblivion auto defaults my settings to medium and claims "Video hardware unrecognized", even though I uninstalled and reinstalled newer drivers just now. The game still loads however and appears to play normally. Any idea what the problem or the solution could be? I am running Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

jblock2490

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2009
and as yet another follow up, when i switch the cable back to the old one, i get the same screen tearing but it recognizes my monitor with the correct native resolution. im so confused xD

jblock2490

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2009
yeah windows recognizes it, with or without the new cable. but for some reason i get those errors only with the new cable. now however my hard drive died as well so i have to replace that and ill see whats up after i do that