"pauses" during UT lan games

One thing that I've noticed at my Lan parties when we play UT:GOTY
(436), is that most of the guy's computers (game machines and high end
laptops, like mine) seem to suffer from "pauses" during the game play.

I'll be running through the screens of a map, in pursuit of a frag (or
trying to avoid one) and all of a sudden, the screen freezes for a
second. This just repeats continuously during the game .. not just
for me, but for many others. A few on the Lan don't seem to be
affected. This DOES NOT happen when the game is played alone, or
online ... only on a Lan game. I've also noticed that this problem
DOES NOT occur when we play Medal of Honor, or Quake, or some other
FPS .. only UT.

I think all of us in the Lan group are running either Win 2K or XP.
Not sure if we have anyone still using 98SE .. sort of doubt it, since
we're all a bunch of tech-heads.

Anyone else play this at a Lan party and notice the same thing? Have
any ideas to get around this?

TIA

Meltdown

Darmok enlightened us with:
> One thing that I've noticed at my Lan parties when we play UT:GOTY
> (436), is that most of the guy's computers (game machines and high
> end laptops, like mine) seem to suffer from "pauses" during the game
> play.

That's weird. How many people are playing, and what kind of network
topology do you have? Are there many collisions? What happens if you
ping each other? Do you have packet loss after, say, 100 pings? To
what did you set your netspeed? Have you "told" the server to optimize
for LAN?

MeltDown
! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
!Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.

On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 12:28:45 +0200, MeltDown wrote:

> Darmok enlightened us with:
>> One thing that I've noticed at my Lan parties when we play UT:GOTY
>> (436), is that most of the guy's computers (game machines and high end
>> laptops, like mine) seem to suffer from "pauses" during the game play.
>
> That's weird. How many people are playing, and what kind of network
> topology do you have? Are there many collisions? What happens if you ping
> each other? Do you have packet loss after, say, 100 pings? To what did you
> set your netspeed? Have you "told" the server to optimize for LAN?

Switch to Linux!

--
{AGUT}DeadMan

On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 07:40:18 -0400, {AGUT}DeadMan wrote:

> On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 12:28:45 +0200, MeltDown wrote:
>
>> Darmok enlightened us with:
>>> One thing that I've noticed at my Lan parties when we play UT:GOTY
>>> (436), is that most of the guy's computers (game machines and high end
>>> laptops, like mine) seem to suffer from "pauses" during the game play.
>>
>> That's weird. How many people are playing, and what kind of network
>> topology do you have? Are there many collisions? What happens if you
>> ping each other? Do you have packet loss after, say, 100 pings? To what
>> did you set your netspeed? Have you "told" the server to optimize for
>> LAN?
>>
> Switch to Linux!

Sorry, K, I couldn't resist.

--
{AGUT}DeadMan

{AGUT}DeadMan <oldman1961@hotmail.com> Blessed us with

>> Switch to Linux!
>
> Sorry, K, I couldn't resist.

Better watch out there DeadMan! You're gonna cause Mr.K to
start developing a dislike for you! LOL :)

"Best?? Only a fool will assume they're the best."

Mr.K

For questions you may have concerning UT, UT2003,
or UT2004.

On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 07:41:51 -0400, {AGUT}DeadMan wrote:

> Sorry, K, I couldn't resist.

Patience young jedi.

--
"A riot is unt ugly thing, unt it's about time we had one!"
R.L.U. #300033, running WM 0.80.1 under MDK9.1

Meltdown

{AGUT}DeadMan enlightened us with:
> Switch to Linux!

Oh, yes, sorry, forgot to mention that. Switch to Linux!

:-D

MeltDown
! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
!Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.

On Tue, 6 Jul 2004 12:28:45 +0200, MeltDown
<meltdownUSE@YOURunrealtower.imagination.org> wrote:

>Darmok enlightened us with:
>> One thing that I've noticed at my Lan parties when we play UT:GOTY
>> (436), is that most of the guy's computers (game machines and high
>> end laptops, like mine) seem to suffer from "pauses" during the game
>> play.
>
>That's weird. How many people are playing, and what kind of network
>topology do you have? Are there many collisions? What happens if you
>ping each other? Do you have packet loss after, say, 100 pings? To
>what did you set your netspeed? Have you "told" the server to optimize
>for LAN?
>
>MeltDown

Generally, we have a maximum of 15 playing ... usually between 12 to
15. We use a Cisco 20 port commercial switch/hub (10/100 ... everyone
has 100 Mb nics). We all set our tcp/ip addresses to 10.0.0.XX ... not
sure if our Lan-master is setting up a dedicated server. Though not
conclusive, I've pinged others on the Lan prior to game launch, and
everyone seems to be under 10ms. Generally, we have the guy with the
hottest machine Host .. usually a 2.6 to 3.0 ghz P4 system (I'm
running a Dell Inspiron 8200, P4-2ghz 640Mb ram w/ATI 9000 Radeon
video .. so I never host!). I've seen the checkbox to optimize for
Lan, and assume that the Host guy is ticking this, but I'll be sure to
check at our next party.

Most of our group are Sys-Admins, Sys-Techs, and/or other tech related
professionals, so we use what we are familiar with at work .. 2K or
XP. I've used various distros of Linux, just to play with, or for the
occasional debugging tool. I use Knoppix distros with BitDefender and
NTPASSWD on them so that I can clean up other people's "messes" from
time to time .. very useful for that kind of thing.

Anyway, thanks for the input .. I'll be sure to stick my nose into the
Host's settings at our next party.

Cheers!

Meltdown

Darmok enlightened us with:
> Anyway, thanks for the input .. I'll be sure to stick my nose into
> the Host's settings at our next party.

Ok, good luck! Be sure you get your nose back ;-)