Which mobo should I get, ASUS P8P67 or P8Z68?

Leetsauce

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2011
Hello everyone!

I'm in the process of building a new system and plan on buying it within the next week - I just have one problem.

Intel just released their newest Z68 chipset.

I'm rather conflicted right now, at first I thought the ASUS P8P67 mobo was the one for me.

I do heavy editing in Adobe After Effects and Sony Vegas, so when I heard about the Intel Quick Sync video, I was very intrigued by it.

To my understanding Quick Sync only works for programs which have the code necessary to utilize this amazing feature. (After Effects might or will one day down the road get it.)

Obviously I've learned that with the help of LucidLogix's Virtu, the Z68 can switch between discrete and IGPU on the fly to enable Quick Sync, while the P8P67 is limited to the features of the discrete graphics card (which I plan on being the MSI 560 GTX Ti).

My question to you is:
Which mobo should I get?

Currently I can get the P8P67 from microcenter for $169.99 as a bundle with the i5-2500k I plan on getting.

On newegg, I can snag the P8Z68 for $209.99 plus shipping, which is about $50 more then I would have to pay for the P67 board.

What should I do?!

-Leetsauce

Leetsauce

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2011

I'm glad someone else agrees with me, I was leaning slightly more towards the Z68... although I'm a bit skeptical because it's a brand new board.

Leetsauce

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2011

It's in their ad on their website. Go to page 28 and look at the top right.

You're lucky you ordered yours when you did, they're out of stock right now. There goes my dream of building it this weekend. :(

Leetsauce

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2011

Here's the link to the combo. Add them both to your cart to see the savings.

http://www.microcenter.com/search/search_results.phtml?sku_list=200121+292516

Motherboard before combo: $189.99
Motherboard after combo: $169.99

Processor is still $179.99

Leetsauce

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2011

Excellent! It would be fantastic if you could either post or send me a message of your thoughts of it!

technoidgit

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2011
I'm in the same boat as you. Thought the p67 was for me but am now wondering about the z68. I'm also just worried about them being the new untested/unkinked thing. I'm actually hoping that this has worked out some of the p67issues. I quote RetiredChief "This is just Me, Have a Nagging feeling on all the P65 (pre B3 release) that where returned. Manufs pulled the INTEL Sata II chipset and returned them to Intel - I think Intel provided them with a New Chipset. My quest - Did the Manufs then reinstalled the new chipset and repackage them as a "B3" - Somehow I do not think the "pitched" them. "
I have had some of the same feelings after reading through all the feedbacks and reviews as there have been issues w/every P67 manufacturer

I have read up on a few boards one being the ASRock Z68 Extreme4 in this link they also have linked the ASRock Z68Pro3 and MSI Z68A-GD80
http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/4074/asrock_z68_extreme4_intel_z68_motherboard_review/index.html
I'm hoping that they release some more mobos in the next few days

Off topic doing the editing and such you will be doing would you not be better served with Hyperthreading off say the I7 2600K. I do know it's about $100 more and I'm not sure that those apps utilize Hyperthread. If they do it could save some time. I figure you have given that some thought but just incase you didn't I thought I would mention it.

Leetsauce

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2011

Actually I had given it some thought, but I came to the conclusion that $100 more for just hyperthreading wasn't really worth it. If I can overclock to 5GHz on air with the i5-2500k then that should be more then enough horsepower to push my system forward. Now if it was like $30 or $50 more, I really would consider it.

Thanks for the input!

Leetsauce

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2011
Just went to microcenter this morning and got their 1 and only ASUS Z68 motherboard in stock. I think it might have been the only Z68 motherboard in the whole Cincinnati area. I'm a very lucky man, seeing as newegg doesn't get them back in stock til next Thursday. Paid $219.99 for it.