I don t kno what cpu to buy

G

hi i have asus p4s800mx motherboard and ineed to buy a cpu but don,t know wish one

D

Deleted member 217926

That is a Socket 478 motherboard. It has been pretty much obsolete since 2005 or so. You are limited to Pentium 4 and Celeron processors that are Socket 478. Save your money and upgrade.....it is not worth trying to make a build out of that old thing.

popatim

Titan
You can get a socket 478 p4 2.8 to 3.2 with HT (hyperthreaded) for about $20 if you watch auction sites like ebay. JIf you stay away from the extreme editions (EE) you should be able to find one, EE's are rediculasly expensive. A guy I know just got one a few days ago.

Just make sure your motherboard can support it before you buy.

amk09

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2010

Sorry but I don't agree with you anort.

If he only plans on surfing the web and doing light work, then spending $20 dollars on a new p4 is the best route.

I recently upgraded my 12 year old p3 rig(700MHz) to a new p3(1GHz) for only $10 that back in the day would have cost $700, and hell I even played counter-strike on that with the old processor.

@fermin446 - Go ahead and google your motherboard to find a list of compatible cpu's, then hunt for deal on ebay, i'm sure you will find one. Good luck!

D

Deleted member 217926

Yeah but even Windows XP is not the same program it was back when that processor was new. The service packs added so much crap it is like a different OS. You sure are not going to run Windows 7 on it.......at least not well. If you are into click and wait then go for it. Nothing like waiting 3 hours to run a Spybot scan or a virus scan. You can go super cheap AMD or even Core2 and get something literally dozens of times faster than that old thing.
Now if you are into running an older machine just to play old games or run some specific software that will not run on todays newer stuff then by all means. I want something not designed for pre service pack 1 XP with my Windows 7 though. And I do not really see playing Fallout or Dragon Age on it.

amk09

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2010

I run XP on my Pentium 3 Rig every single day, no problems whatsoever, and it still gets the job done great for surfing the web/e-mail/youtube. That is a 12 year old computer, and since his is a p4 rig, im assuming its a couple years newer, so it should have some life left in it.

If he doesn't plan on gaming, then spending $20 bucks for a new cpu would be the most logical/rational thing to do.