Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Quick Sync and other Z68 stuff: what are they?

Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
May 12, 2011 1:18:10 AM

I read through the recent article on the new Z68 chipset and its features, but I still don't understand exactly what the features from the H67 side do.
Does H67 allow you to use the CPU's dedicated graphics section, or just allow you to overclock it?
Does Z68 (and Virtu) now let you use integrated and discreet graphics at once?
Quick Sync is especially confusing to me. What is it? What does it do? Does it depend on software or hardware?

More about : quick sync z68 stuff

a c 107 V Motherboard
May 12, 2011 1:34:22 AM

H67 boards can use the CPU's integrated graphics. They can also improve the graphics performance by overclocking that part of the chip. They cannot overclock the CPU cores though.

P67 boards cannot use the CPU's integrated graphics. However, they can overclock an unlocked CPU (2500K/2600K) to its fullest.

Quick Sync accelerates some encoding/decoding/transcoding functions. It's part of the CPU hardware, but also requires the program to be written specifically to take advantage of it. So far, only certain programs are, but others are likely in the process of re-coding.

Z68 and Virtu allow the system to switch on the fly between a discrete graphics card for gaming and the integrated graphics with Quick Sync for those who need it. Z68 can also overclock the integrated graphics as well as the CPU cores. In that way, it's a combo of H67 and P67.
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
May 12, 2011 2:03:32 AM

So it can switch between them, but not make use of both at once.
May 16, 2011 1:27:32 PM

What would be the purpose to even choose integrated graphics over a card? I'm totally lost on this advantage. Any simply terms for us less educated people on "Quick Sync". :sarcastic: 

Best solution

a c 107 V Motherboard
May 16, 2011 3:15:57 PM

The integrated graphics with Quick Sync are special because they accelerate encoding/decoding/transcoding. If you do lots of video editing and converting videos from one format to another, Quick Sync can make that much quicker for you.

And the Z68 chipset with Virtu software allows you to switch to the discrete card for gaming while still using the integrated Quick Sync when you need to. No other chipset can do that.

I will personally be sticking with my P67 mainboard, as I don't do anything with videos except watch them.
May 16, 2011 3:20:08 PM

Ok - so to better understand this... Once could turn this feature off or not use it. Other than that.. will the z68 out perform the p67 or are they about the same? :heink: 
a c 107 V Motherboard
May 16, 2011 3:47:00 PM

If you're just planning a normal gamer system with one hard drive and a discrete graphics card, they will perform the same.

Z68 also has Intel's Smart Response technology (a.k.a. SSD caching) that allows you to turn an expensive SSD into a big cache for a regular platter hard drive. This improves drive performance.

But if you can afford to do that, then usually you can afford to buy an SSD boot drive for the P67 system, so they end up about the same anyway.
May 16, 2011 3:49:46 PM

Sold!! I will get the P67 instead... Thank you!
a b V Motherboard
May 16, 2011 9:32:02 PM

i'm already using amd, just wondering (not wondering any more, thanks)
a b V Motherboard
May 16, 2011 9:32:46 PM

Best answer selected by kajabla.
!