Enabling onboard graphics on HP E350t [MS-7613 (Iona-GL8E) mobo]

pr1apism

Distinguished
May 11, 2011
I have an HP Elite 350t which came with an ATI HD 5450 graphics card. The Mobo and complete specs for my box are here http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02014355&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=4242295#N80

I have dual monitors for my work PC (DVI all runs through a KVM on my primary monitor) the dual monitor setup uses the VGA port to a second monitor just for my work PC.

What I am toying with is connecting the onboard DVI/graphics to my second monitors available DVI port. Then when I want that second display I can just change source on the second monitor. I figure I might as well get the most out of it.

HP disables the onboard graphics when a graphics card is provided with the PC, there is no option in the BIOS that shipped with the PC to enable the onboard graphics. The question is; is their a fairly safe way to enable this ( I would expect via a bios update). Fairly safe is crucial as this is not a huge deal for me, just wanting to use the hardware that is there.

To prevent the follow up question... My 5450 has 2 ports. 1 DVI and 1 HDMI. The HDMI port I will eventually send through an HDMI splitter to 2 HDTVs where MC7 will be setup to launch on that display. It will be used only for the MC7 display (thats the plan). If you have suggestions on an HDMI splitter I'm all ears, I was looking at a couple on monoprice.com but not married to anything at the moment.

The idea in my head would be to have the DVI from the 5450 as it is going to the main monitor via the KVM and the onboard DVI going to the second display - extended desktop. Technically 3 displays in the end but only 2 would be used for PC work the other only for MC7.

The real question is in bold, has anyone done this? Any issues with my plan?