Sign in with
Your question

Suitable Motherboard for a Corei5 2500?

Last response: in Motherboards
May 12, 2011 3:44:40 AM

Quick question! Can someone please suggest a good motherboard that is within the $270 range? I am a complete newbie and I tried going through Asus's ROG website and am completely confused about where to look for the board that would suit a Corei5 2500 Processor! Please Help!
May 12, 2011 1:52:22 PM

do you have that processor or willing to buy
m
l
May 15, 2011 12:29:35 PM

manu 11 said:
do you have that processor or willing to buy

I haven't made a firm decision, but I might go for the Corei5 2500k coz it can be overclocked :) 
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
May 15, 2011 7:20:05 PM

Surely get the i5 2500k.. As for the board and staying with Asrock, i'll suggest the Asrock Z68 Extreme4..
m
l
May 15, 2011 8:00:23 PM

Emperus said:
Surely get the i5 2500k.. As for the board and staying with Asrock, i'll suggest the Asrock Z68 Extreme4..

Emperus Is there a reason you suggest the Z68 over the P67? I have been considering the a Z68 board also but not totally sure what the true benefit would/might be. My big hope would be that they worked out some off those P67 kinks. It would also be nice to have backup video just incase the soon to be mine Radeon 6950 goes down. My P67 system would have a 120gb SSd for OS and Apps along with a 1TB HDD for storage.

Would it be worth it or wise to have dedicated SSD(120gb) for operating system +programs and then a small SSD(30gb) coupled with a Large HDD(1tb) if using the Z68. I have been told is they way to go. My new system will be used for Gaming, photo and video editing, streaming vid, surf and I would imaging Bluray. Will be using the i7-2600K cpu
m
l
a b V Motherboard
May 15, 2011 9:16:09 PM

The P67 B3 revisions have the kinks worked out so there is no issue with the SATA 3.0 channels. The Z68 has two advantages: disk caching from a small (under 64 GB) SSD of large HDDs. This cuts the difference between SSD & HDD speed at lease in half, but is not for true gamers. Native SSD speed still kills compared to a cached HDD.

The second advantage is Virtu. which allows virtual switching between the native GPU on board the i3, i5 & i7 chips and the discrete GPU (be it AMD or Nvidia) and better graphic editing and translation.

If your principal interest is gaming then you may be better off waiting for the P67 mobos to come down in price. The Z68 is the future and the P67 is to be phased out. But for gamers and most of the public the Z68 has no great advantage over the P67.

For video editing the $50 premium of the ASRock Z68 Extreme4 over the ASRock P67 is worthwhile. But the Z68 will show little, if any, improvement in photo editing, Bluray & gaming.

BTW, I agree with Emperus about the value of the ASRock over ASUS: their products are better priced for the same features, excepting the warranty.
m
l
May 16, 2011 1:52:54 AM

First off, if you plan on getting a P67 or Z68 board, definitely go for the i5-2500k. These board can take full advantage of it.

If you don't plan on doing SLI or Crossfire, the regular ASUS P8P67 board should do just fine for you.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

If you want SLI or Crossfire, step it up to the ASUS P8P67 Pro board, it has an extra PCI-E slot for a second graphics card in x8/x8 mode.

If you want to do video editing with SLI or Crossfire AND you would like to use Intel's Quick Sync, go with the ASUS P8Z68-V Pro board. That basically has all of the features of the boards before it, and I picked this one up for my build. It's only ~$30 more then the P8P67 Pro, so I would definitely consider it.
m
l
May 16, 2011 3:21:00 AM

Leetsauce said:
First off, if you plan on getting a P67 or Z68 board, definitely go for the i5-2500k. These board can take full advantage of it.

If you don't plan on doing SLI or Crossfire, the regular ASUS P8P67 board should do just fine for you.

If you want SLI or Crossfire, step it up to the ASUS P8P67 Pro board, it has an extra PCI-E slot for a second graphics card in x8/x8 mode.

If you want to do video editing with SLI or Crossfire AND you would like to use Intel's Quick Sync, go with the ASUS P8Z68-V Pro board. That basically has all of the features of the boards before it, and I picked this one up for my build. It's only ~$30 more then the P8P67 Pro, so I would definitely consider it.

Thank you Chesteracorgi and Leetsauce

Well I and many others still feel there are some issues with the P67. Just read the feedback and and is usually pretty easy to weed out the trolls and usser error problems but after that there are still to many issues across the board with all the manf. I feel it is more Intel the the manf., wouldn't be the first time.

I do think I will go with the Z68 as I'm buying this week and P67 prices are not budging yet.
Leet I'm sticking w/the i7 2600K as I use Adobe Premiere pro cs5and Photoshop cs5 and I know your idea of powering through things by OCing but I feel PP CS5 cries for the 2600 not to mention what might be coming down the pipe from other venders. I will make back more than the $100 in not editing times plus the $ kicked back to me for the Media and Advertising savings. I will also be playing games on this PC, right now it will be equipped w/single gpu but a 2nd will be added down the line. I don't know how much the Z will help me as the GPU have some decent software anyways. But what I'm reading is if your buying now(unless just a gamer) to go with the Z68 but it's not worth it just to upgrade
m
l
May 16, 2011 4:23:08 AM

technoidgit said:
Thank you Chesteracorgi and Leetsauce

Well I and many others still feel there are some issues with the P67. Just read the feedback and and is usually pretty easy to weed out the trolls and usser error problems but after that there are still to many issues across the board with all the manf. I feel it is more Intel the the manf., wouldn't be the first time.

I do think I will go with the Z68 as I'm buying this week and P67 prices are not budging yet.
Leet I'm sticking w/the i7 2600K as I use Adobe Premiere pro cs5and Photoshop cs5 and I know your idea of powering through things by OCing but I feel PP CS5 cries for the 2600 not to mention what might be coming down the pipe from other venders. I will make back more than the $100 in not editing times plus the $ kicked back to me for the Media and Advertising savings. I will also be playing games on this PC, right now it will be equipped w/single gpu but a 2nd will be added down the line. I don't know how much the Z will help me as the GPU have some decent software anyways. But what I'm reading is if your buying now(unless just a gamer) to go with the Z68 but it's not worth it just to upgrade

I absolutely agree with the Z68 choice, it's what I did as well.

As for the i7-2600K, with all of Adobe's products (and hopefully Sony's as well soon) hyperthreading would be an excellent addition for productivity. However, if you're on a budget, the i5-2500K will do just fine. I do agree that you will get your extra $100 worth with video rendering though.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
May 16, 2011 5:06:49 AM

technoidgit said:
Emperus Is there a reason you suggest the Z68 over the P67? I have been considering the a Z68 board also but not totally sure what the true benefit would/might be. My big hope would be that they worked out some off those P67 kinks. It would also be nice to have backup video just incase the soon to be mine Radeon 6950 goes down. My P67 system would have a 120gb SSd for OS and Apps along with a 1TB HDD for storage.

Would it be worth it or wise to have dedicated SSD(120gb) for operating system +programs and then a small SSD(30gb) coupled with a Large HDD(1tb) if using the Z68. I have been told is they way to go. My new system will be used for Gaming, photo and video editing, streaming vid, surf and I would imaging Bluray. Will be using the i7-2600K cpu

No apparent reasons to go Z68 other than the value aspect.. Z68 feels like P67 with quick sync enabled as it allows to use the on board GPU of the processor.. This is excellent as it provides a backup and gives the feature which makes Sandy Bridge so much desirable (quick sync that is).. SSD caching is a useless though IMO.. I for one would not want to spend a good chunk of money on a SSD only to use it as a scratch disk..
m
l
a b V Motherboard
May 23, 2011 6:22:45 PM

Emperus said:
No apparent reasons to go Z68 other than the value aspect.. Z68 feels like P67 with quick sync enabled as it allows to use the on board GPU of the processor.. This is excellent as it provides a backup and gives the feature which makes Sandy Bridge so much desirable (quick sync that is).. SSD caching is a useless though IMO.. I for one would not want to spend a good chunk of money on a SSD only to use it as a scratch disk..

I have come up with a uses for the SSD caching: video editing and database access. If someone is not interested in gaming, but is doing either multimedia editing, the cache can be very helpful. Same with database access. Good cache management in either use will produce a notable improvement.
But for most users the SSD/HDD caching is not very useful. Better to be running off a SSD.
I haven't seen any articles but can caching be used along side of a boot SSD? There might be a use for caching if you are transferring data from a SSD to a HDD. But this seems a little arcane and not worth the bother.
m
l
May 27, 2011 2:57:05 AM

chesteracorgi said:
I have come up with a uses for the SSD caching: video editing and database access. If someone is not interested in gaming, but is doing either multimedia editing, the cache can be very helpful. Same with database access. Good cache management in either use will produce a notable improvement.
But for most users the SSD/HDD caching is not very useful. Better to be running off a SSD.
I haven't seen any articles but can caching be used along side of a boot SSD? There might be a use for caching if you are transferring data from a SSD to a HDD. But this seems a little arcane and not worth the bother.

I'm about 95% or more sure I read in a Z68 mobo board review that you can add a small cache SSD to a a system using a SSD For boot drive.
Tis is also I quote I got here on Tom's and 'IntelEnthusiast ' agreed with it. My system will use a SSD for Boot/apps and Hdd for Data.
"You may also want to pick up a second small (20G - 64G) SSD, which you can use for a caching disk for your HDD, using Intel's Smart Response Technology (, which is one of the key benefits of the Z68 chipset. "

IntelEnthusiast then also added "You have a very nice system here. As far as the difference between the Intel® Core™ i5-2500K and the Intel Core i7-2600K, it really comes down to how many threads can been run. The Intel Core i7-2600K has hyper-threading and can run up to 8 threads. For software like Adobe CS5 that can take advantage of additional threads, hyper-threading can be a big benefit. So yes the Intel Core i7-2600K would run your software better, but don’t think for a minute that the Intel Core i5-2500K is anything to sneeze at.

For a small SSD take a look at the Intel SSD 320 40GB drive. This small low cost drive really would do an outstanding job for SSD caching"

I had also chatted with RetiredChief about it and he felt that it does work. He should or may know soon as he is building this week.
One of the articles I did read though said that some of this new stuff needs a little tweaking. I will see if I can find it
m
l
May 27, 2011 3:40:43 AM

I think the tweaking part of the article referred to the Lucid Virtu part and not the Smart Response. I will say that I'm not sure how much of an advatage it would be if you already have a SSD for OS and Apps. I quess if you ahve real large video files or similar the SSD cache would really be nice. I will say the SSD Cached HDD benchmarks are very impressive. This link is from a review of the mobo I'm getting and is of the IRS benchmark page.
http://www.guru3d.com/article/msi-z68a-gd80-review/23

Thisis a link to the Conclusion page on the review of the MSIz68 GD80 and some info regarding Rapid Response
http://www.guru3d.com/article/msi-z68a-gd80-review/24
m
l
!