UT 2004 server - bandwidth usage

Last response: in Video Games
July 6, 2004 8:07:55 PM

Hi all,

i've set up a small server for playing with some friends.
I have 2 people connecting via the internet and myself on the LAN.
With one person connected from the internet all is well.
However once the other person connects the pings go up a great deal and
the game becomes unplayable.
I have a rather puny DSL connection with only 16 KB up.
Should this be enough for two people connecting from the internet or do
i need a better connection ?
July 6, 2004 8:08:58 PM

ST!NG enlightened us with:
> With one person connected from the internet all is well. However
> once the other person connects the pings go up a great deal and the
> game becomes unplayable. I have a rather puny DSL connection with
> only 16 KB up.

Sounds like it's too little, sorry!

MeltDown
! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
!Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.
Anonymous
July 7, 2004 1:45:44 AM

MeltDown wrote:

> Sounds like it's too little, sorry!

:(
So the question becomes: How much bandwidth does UT 2004 need per player ?
That way the next time i switch providers (which will happen shortly as
i am moving) i can keep that in mind.
Related resources
July 7, 2004 2:50:51 AM

ST!NG enlightened us with:
> So the question becomes: How much bandwidth does UT 2004 need per
> player ? That way the next time i switch providers (which will
> happen shortly as i am moving) i can keep that in mind.

I'm not sure about this. I'd say that 32 Mbit should be enough for two
players, since your current 16 Mbit can support a single player.

MeltDown
! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
!Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.
July 7, 2004 3:41:29 AM

Da Wrecka enlightened us with:
> Erm, I think you need to read the original post again, Melt. If 16Mbit was
> only enough for one player, then something would be very, very wrong.

I stand corrected. I don't usually host games for many players, and I
have about 70 Mbit upstream, so I don't have a clear view on the
bandwidth usage.

!