UT 2004 server - bandwidth usage

Hi all,

i've set up a small server for playing with some friends.
I have 2 people connecting via the internet and myself on the LAN.
With one person connected from the internet all is well.
However once the other person connects the pings go up a great deal and
the game becomes unplayable.
I have a rather puny DSL connection with only 16 KB up.
Should this be enough for two people connecting from the internet or do
i need a better connection ?
4 answers Last reply
More about 2004 server bandwidth usage

    ST!NG enlightened us with:
    > With one person connected from the internet all is well. However
    > once the other person connects the pings go up a great deal and the
    > game becomes unplayable. I have a rather puny DSL connection with
    > only 16 KB up.

    Sounds like it's too little, sorry!

    MeltDown
    ! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
    !Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.

    MeltDown wrote:

    > Sounds like it's too little, sorry!

    :(
    So the question becomes: How much bandwidth does UT 2004 need per player ?
    That way the next time i switch providers (which will happen shortly as
    i am moving) i can keep that in mind.

    ST!NG enlightened us with:
    > So the question becomes: How much bandwidth does UT 2004 need per
    > player ? That way the next time i switch providers (which will
    > happen shortly as i am moving) i can keep that in mind.

    I'm not sure about this. I'd say that 32 Mbit should be enough for two
    players, since your current 16 Mbit can support a single player.

    MeltDown
    ! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
    !Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.

    Da Wrecka enlightened us with:
    > Erm, I think you need to read the original post again, Melt. If 16Mbit was
    > only enough for one player, then something would be very, very wrong.

    I stand corrected. I don't usually host games for many players, and I
    have about 70 Mbit upstream, so I don't have a clear view on the
    bandwidth usage.

    MeltDown
    ! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
    !Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.

Internet Servers Video Games