Sign in with
Your question

Splitting my SSD Storage

Last response: in Storage
October 6, 2012 10:34:29 PM

Hey, Folks,

So, I finally finished building my new desktop. Originally, it wasn't going to include an SSD, but then Newegg (the dogs!) had a sale I couldn't refuse, so I bought an Intel 330 series 120GB SSD.

Then I remembered that I'm going to need to dual-boot the thing, as I need both versions of Windows available (64 and 32-bit) in order to use all my work tools. My VERY expensive PDF conversion program, which should work on x64, has never worked as anything but a reader on that side, so I must have x32 available. Basically, the only thing on the x32 side will be that program, Calibre, Sigil and some other writing/editing programs. Historically, I've also always kept my movies, music and program install files on that side as well, but of course, using the SSD, all those files will go on my hard drive, now.

So, my question: what would be the best way to divide up the drive, so that I have the right number of GBs available for each version of Windows? I'm thinking 75GB for x64, and 45 for the x32 side. Is that enough?

This is with the understanding that I will be making any and all changes that I can to keep the SSD running efficiently (turning off Hibernate, moving the page file, etc.).

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

More about : splitting ssd storage

October 6, 2012 10:43:27 PM

Are you sure you need both versions of windows? Most programs are still x86 and run on x64 windows just fine.

What's the name of this program? Figuring out why it doesn't work on x64 might yield a simpler solution than dual booting on a 120GB ssd.

Also, this is windows 7 right?
m
l
October 6, 2012 10:56:19 PM

75 - 45 should work just fine.

My 60gb ssd has Windows 7 64bit on a 40gb partition and I'll never use it all.
m
l
Related resources
a c 317 G Storage
October 6, 2012 11:00:39 PM

I would not divide the drive and try to dual boot, nothing but problems.

If you really need another OS, use either XP Mode (free for Win7 Pro or above) if you can run the 32 bit programs in XP, or spend the money to buy VMWare Workstation 8 and do an install on it of Win7 32 bit or any other OS back to DOS -- it is a great program and I use it for 7 or 8 OSs that you can quickly and easily run in a Window with all resources available. Dual booting is a PIA.
m
l
October 6, 2012 11:03:24 PM

RealBeast said:
I would not divide the drive and try to dual boot, nothing but problems.

If you really need another OS, use either XP Mode (free for Win7 Pro or above) if you can run the 32 bit programs in XP, or spend the money to buy VMWare Workstation 8 and do an install on it of Win7 32 bit or any other OS back to DOS -- it is a great program and I use it for 7 or 8 OSs that you can quickly and easily run in a Window with all resources available. Dual booting is a PIA.

Would this be only in reference to SSDs? Because I've been triple-booted on my regular HDD and never had problems. And if it is, could you tell me a bit more specifically what the issues would be? I'm not averse to buying another drive, but would rather avoid it.

By the by, XP Mode has never been worth a damn, my experience.
m
l
a c 317 G Storage
October 6, 2012 11:07:13 PM

No, but dual booting two Win 7 installs for some reason seems to have more issues in my experience than 7/Vista/Linux or 7/XP/Linux.

You can do it, it just can be a real pain -- but only sometimes -- so it's your call if you just want it to work easily VMWare is really worth the small cost, it really depends on the value you place on your time.
m
l
October 6, 2012 11:11:20 PM

slicedtoad said:
Are you sure you need both versions of windows? Most programs are still x86 and run on x64 windows just fine.

What's the name of this program? Figuring out why it doesn't work on x64 might yield a simpler solution than dual booting on a 120GB ssd.

Also, this is windows 7 right?

The program is Nitro PDF converter, and it has NEVER worked on any computer I've used in the x64 version. I seem to vaguely recall reading that it only works as a reader in x64, but I may be making that up. At almost $300, I'm not willing to forgo using it, and as i said to Realbeast, my experiences with XP Mode and VM programs in general is that there is always something in the system that just doesn't work quite right.

I've found that, for me, at least. dual-booting works better, both from the standpoint of ease of use and ability to still access files from the inactive "computer(s)". 'Course, this has all been with my rather old laptop (Gateway P 7805FX), so it might be different with the newer rig...
m
l
a b G Storage
October 6, 2012 11:39:27 PM

As long as you're running an up-to-date version of Nitro PDF you should be fine. If you're not, then your work needs to spring for something that works. I know that businesses don't like spending money but they've gotta keep you current if you're using your own machine to do the job (or tell them to buy you a Win7 x86 laptop).
m
l
October 6, 2012 11:53:27 PM

nbelote said:
As long as you're running an up-to-date version of Nitro PDF you should be fine. If you're not, then your work needs to spring for something that works. I know that businesses don't like spending money but they've gotta keep you current if you're using your own machine to do the job (or tell them to buy you a Win7 x86 laptop).

Unfortunately, I AM my work. ;) 

Springing for a new version of Nitro had to take a back seat to creating a rig that will let me do my main work (creating and editing videos) a bit more efficiently. And, okay, there was also the simple fun factor (all vicious cursing and desire to throw tools of various kinds aside) involved in building my first desktop. A newer version of Nitro on the list, but in the meantime, I need to have it available.

Anyway, thanks, everyone for the input; mostly I just wanted to know if the ratio I was considering was workable, but it's always cool to get everyone's take.
m
l
October 7, 2012 5:53:44 PM

I've never had a problem with dual booting, I just don't like seeing such small ssd partitions, it's often a pain.

Check the prices of the 64 bit nitro pdf converter. If it's this:
http://download.cnet.com/Nitro-PDF-Reader-64-bit/3000-1...
it looks like it's only $100. That's cheaper than buying a second copy of windows.
m
l
October 7, 2012 8:08:41 PM

slicedtoad said:
I've never had a problem with dual booting, I just don't like seeing such small ssd partitions, it's often a pain...

Well, I went ahead and dual-booted, and with optimizations, the x64 side is down to 23GBs of space used, from a high of 36GBs. I'm keeping the pagefile on the SDD, but I do think I want to shrink it, since I have 16GBs of RAM in the computer.

My question is, how much should I shrink the pagefile, if at all?

The x86 side is using only 11GBs of the 41GBs of space available--and that is with NO optimizations, since I haven't gotten to that side, yet. Since it gets a great deal less use than the 32-bit side, I'm seriously considering shrinking that volume even more, and sending what I shrink over to the x64 side, which I expect will need it.

My only other concern at this point is whether or not having both an SSD and an HDD in the same bracket will create too much heat to be useful?

m
l
October 7, 2012 8:58:23 PM

ssds dont make any heat. I suppose it could make the hdd hotter by limiting airflow but it shouldn't matter unless you have pretty bad airflow inside your case.

I believe you could just delete the pagefile with 16GB of ram (don't quote me on that).
m
l
!