Sign in with
Your question

Pc shutdown

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
September 26, 2010 8:25:42 PM

Hey guys, I just recently got a new pc from cyber power, The issue is at random the pc will power off when i start a game or other tasks of similar operation. Here are the basic specs:
I first suspect the power supply at faul but im not sure to be honest i dont think its the graphics card eaither but who knows i would love to hear some feed back on what you guys think on this, Thanks in advance.

2GB DDR3 / 1600 MHZ MEMORY X4 (8gigs)
120MM WATERCOOLER
CASE FAN 120 MM
ASUS AMD M4A77T/USB3 AM3 CHIPSET 770
POWER SUPPLY 500WATT
ONBOARD 7.1 SOUND
ATI RADEON 5670 1GB PCIE
WINDOWS 7 HOME PREMIUM 64-BIT

=============== ===================================

More about : shutdown

a b à CPUs
September 26, 2010 8:39:08 PM

The PSU is the first place to start. It looks like the PC is dropping when you load the Graphics Card with 3D work. Go into the BIOS and see if there is a section called PC Health. If it is there check the PSU is putting out good steady voltage. Do not run your PC until you confirm the PSU is good or you will blow something in the PC probably your Graphics Card. If the PSU is fine the next port of call is the Graphics Card itself.
September 26, 2010 9:10:57 PM

Sadly i do not see a pc health section in the BIOS section, what can be done next in distinguishing the issue?
Related resources
a c 107 à CPUs
September 26, 2010 9:29:07 PM

One of the ways Cyberpower (and similar vendors) cut costs so they can sell inexpensive systems is by using garbage PSUs. That would be a good place to start.
Another possibility (which could be related) is that the overclock (I assume there is one, with a water cooler) is unstable.
When you look for a replacement PSU, 500W is certainly enough, but look for full range active PFC (no little voltage switch) and some level of 80+ certification. Antec, Seasonic, Corsair, and Enermax are among the better brands. Older Coolermasters, and Best Buy's house brands (Dynex and Huntkey / Rocketfish) are not.
September 26, 2010 10:08:16 PM

Currently it isnt overcloked i run it on standard 3.0ghz i dont bother with over clocking, but the issue it the random power outs on it mainly with games and sometimes without a game it will power down, i have a 3 year warranty so im safe to get replacements (of same specs i believe) and i also am within my 30day money back deal so im debating on what should be done.
a b à CPUs
September 27, 2010 6:22:47 AM

jtt283 is right in saying that a lot of companys use cheap and nasty PSU's to keep their costs down. If this is the case with your machine then you have to make a choice. If it was me I would take it back and do my own build.
September 27, 2010 3:06:49 PM

TyMeLeSs said:
Currently it isnt overcloked i run it on standard 3.0ghz i dont bother with over clocking, but the issue it the random power outs on it mainly with games and sometimes without a game it will power down, i have a 3 year warranty so im safe to get replacements (of same specs i believe) and i also am within my 30day money back deal so im debating on what should be done.

If you're having issues like this while still within a 30day return period, do so. if it's unreliable in the first few weeks I'd hate to depend on it a year from now.
!