Sign in with
Your question

INTEL D975XBX2 Extreme Motherboard & SATA-III Drives

Last response: in Storage
October 6, 2012 11:44:30 PM

Hello,

I have a workstation I built that is based upon the INTEL INTEL D975XBX2 Extreme Motherboard with an INTEL Core 2 X6800 CPU running @2.93GHz, 8GB of RAM with Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit OS. I want to replace my current SATA-II Hard Disks due to capacity and age. Will my current motherboard recognize the SATA-III drives and allow the maximum data transfer advertized for the SATA III Drives? Or, do I need to buy a SATA III controller card to make use of the increased transfer speed supported by new SATA -III drives?

Many Thanks

Jay
a c 288 G Storage
October 7, 2012 9:37:35 AM

Intel® Desktop Board D975XBX2 Technical Product Specification:
http://downloadmirror.intel.com/15065/eng/D975XBX2_Tech...

"The ICH7-R/ICH7-DH’s Serial ATA controller offers four independent Serial ATA ports with a theoretical maximum transfer rate of 3 Gbits/sec per port."

Unless you opt for an SSD, 300MB/s will far exceed the maximum sustained data transfer rate of today's rotating storage devices.
m
l
October 7, 2012 9:42:24 AM

It should treat SATA 600MM/s drives as SATA 300MB/s drives just fine without a major performance loss. The hard drives can't even reach 300MB/s anyway, only the cache can do that and I don't think that it will make much of a difference. I've never noticed much of a difference between running my SATA 600MB/s drives on SATA 600MB/s controllers and SATA 3000MB/s controllers.
m
l
Related resources
!