Xfx ati hd 5850 system requirements

rathana_v

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
yes i just bought a xfx ati hd radeon 5850 gpu and i wanted to know for sure that my system can use that card to its full potential....heres my system specs

amd phenom II x4 945 3.0 ghz
msi 790x-g45 motherboard
4GB kingston hyperx 1333mhz ram
coolermaster v8 cpu cooler
corsair tx650 watt psu

nothing is overclocked

please help...thanks

No, unless you play at a low resolution, Your CPU may bottleneck ever so slightly but nothing to worry about. You have a decent cooler on that CPU so you could overclock it just to make sure there's no bottleneck. Your other spec's are perfectly fine.

rathana_v

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
i dont know if fraps is very accurate but i tried crysis everthing max 8xaa...i got about 20-35 fps usually hitting 26 fps...1080 res...is that decent for that game...because i heard a lot of people use that game to test out their specs

If your where playing at a res of 1280 x 1024 then your CPU would bottleneck your HD5850's performance, however your playing at 1080P so no worries there, and your Crysis results are good.

yes, you get less frames at higher resolutions because the GPU has more pixels to render.

Lets just say that your CPU will bottleneck at 73FPS, your unlikely to get 73FPS in modern games with all the eye candy on at 1080P, so your CPU is unlikely to be a bottleneck, However at lower resolutions there's a much greater chance of your card being able to output 73+FPS but your CPU will bottleneck it.
Its been said that your CPU does more work at lower resolutions, however I don't know if that is true.

In any case if you do have a bottleneck (which i'm 99% sure you won't) then you'd be getting insanely high FPS anyway. So it wouldn't effect game play.