ftcnt

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2004
I wanted a cheap internal card reader so I ordered this off ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260661244767&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Before you berate me for buying off ebay, I should state that I have purchased many similar products off ebay with no problems.

However, this one is confusing. Please click on the ebay link above or you may take a look at this.

SXptC.jpg

iSzJh.jpg

I don't know how to connect the power to the reader. I don't know to which inputs the PS2, USB cables are supposed to connect on the motherboard. I assumed the SATA could connect to one of the SATA connectors.

1haplo

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
You do not need to plug in a power source. The USB plug that plugs into the motherboard USB pins (NOT THE USB CABLE END) will provide the power for the card reader.

The PS2, SATA, Firewire, and USB (Cable end) should just be pass thru connector. If you do not plug the PS2 in the 2 ports on the front will not work. Same with the Firewire, SATA, and the 2 USB ports on the left.

The card reader and the upper right USB plug will work with just the USB plugged in to the motherboard.

Thanks I may pick up one for myself also... :)

ftcnt

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2004
The PS2, SATA, Firewire, and USB (Cable end) should just be pass thru connector. If you do not plug the PS2 in the 2 ports on the front will not work. Same with the Firewire, SATA, and the 2 USB ports on the left.

I don't quite understand this part. What does it mean to pass through the "connector". Should I my motherboard have built-in PS2, USB slots? I don't think mine does. There are USB and Firewire pins but they don't connect to any of those .

By pass through it means you actually connect the plugs in the back of the case(they are essentially extension cables). This works well on systems that do not have headers on board.

So you just pull the needed wires through a open pci slot and plug them into the board.

They have similar devices to get front USB 3.0

It looks like the card reader and sata are the only part designed to connect inside the case.

You do not need to connect ports you do not plan to use(PS2, Firewire, ect)

Below is a example of a pass through cable for usb 3. The cable just comes out the back of the case and plugs into the back port.

thcase.jpg