Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Bluetooth Headset

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
July 6, 2004 8:50:09 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

Hi All,

Has anyone successfully used a bluetooth headset
with UT2004?

Regards,
Paul

More about : bluetooth headset

Anonymous
July 6, 2004 8:50:10 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

in relation to headset, does anybody actually use voice chat during internet
games or am I just missing some
key combo/check box thing?

TIA
boogers, play as flycouch
Anonymous
July 6, 2004 8:50:11 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 12:40:25 -0400, boogers wrote:

> in relation to headset, does anybody actually use voice chat during
> internet games or am I just missing some
> key combo/check box thing?
>
I heard a lot of folks using it on the demo but no one (IIRC) since I got
the full version. I tried to get it working for about a week or so until I
found out it requires XP's built in voice chat software, and it won't work
for me in Linux.

--
{AGUT}DeadMan
Related resources
July 7, 2004 12:54:45 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

boogers enlightened us with:
> in relation to headset, does anybody actually use voice chat during
> internet games or am I just missing some key combo/check box thing?

Yep, I use it. Works just fine. Make sure your microphone is set up
correctly, and that you press the voice chat key. Also, voice chat
doesn't work on a listen server, you need a dedicated server for that.

MeltDown
--
!For all your UT99/2k3/2k4 questions visit UnrealTower's FAQ section:
! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
!Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.
Anonymous
July 7, 2004 12:54:46 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 20:54:45 +0200, MeltDown wrote:

> boogers enlightened us with:
>> in relation to headset, does anybody actually use voice chat during
>> internet games or am I just missing some key combo/check box thing?
>
> Yep, I use it. Works just fine. Make sure your microphone is set up
> correctly, and that you press the voice chat key. Also, voice chat doesn't
> work on a listen server, you need a dedicated server for that.
>
Hiya Melt,

Are you saying that it's possible to get the voice chat working under
linux? I would really like to be able to use it. Is there a FAQ entry or
web page that tells how?

Thanks,

--
{AGUT}DeadMan
July 7, 2004 2:57:41 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

{AGUT}DeadMan enlightened us with:
> Are you saying that it's possible to get the voice chat working
> under linux?

Yep.

> I would really like to be able to use it. Is there a FAQ entry or
> web page that tells how?

Not as far as I know. I can tell you what I did, though:

- Make sure everything is plugged in properly, and that all hardware
switches are turned on. I've got a switch to disable the mike on my
headset, so that's something to look at.

- Open a mixer - I use alsamixer on a console for that. Raise the
"Mic" and "Mic Capture" channels to the max, and unmute Mic Boost.

- Talk into your mike. Check if you can hear yourself. If you can't,
there is something wrong. If you can, lower the "Mic" channel to
zero again so you won't hear yourself talking while chatting
in-game.

- Check which key is set to use your voice chat in
~/.ut2004/System/User.ini. You can find it with 'grep =VoiceTalk
.ut2004/System/User.ini'. If it isn't there, remember to set it in
the game's control settings.

- Lauch the game, join a dedicated server, and try to use your voice
talk button. If you press it, the volume of the sounds around you
should fade, so the game sounds won't be recorded by your
microphone.

- Talk into the microphone. A bar should be visible at the left side
of your screen, displaying the volume of your voice.

- Use the usual keyboard chat to ask people if they can hear you.


Hmm... maybe this is something for the FAQ :) 

MeltDown
--
!For all your UT99/2k3/2k4 questions visit UnrealTower's FAQ section:
! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
!Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.
Anonymous
July 7, 2004 2:57:42 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 22:57:41 +0200, MeltDown wrote:

> {AGUT}DeadMan enlightened us with:
>> Are you saying that it's possible to get the voice chat working under
>> linux?
>
> Yep.
>
>> I would really like to be able to use it. Is there a FAQ entry or web
>> page that tells how?
>
> Not as far as I know. I can tell you what I did, though:
>
> - Make sure everything is plugged in properly, and that all hardware
> switches are turned on. I've got a switch to disable the mike on my
> headset, so that's something to look at.

All good.

>
> - Open a mixer - I use alsamixer on a console for that. Raise the
> "Mic" and "Mic Capture" channels to the max, and unmute Mic Boost.

I'm thinking this may be the prob, I seem to remember someone suggesting
the alsa drivers (along with what seemed like an amazingly complicated
install) to get chat working. I finally gave up, perhaps it is time to
re-visit.

>
> - Talk into your mike. Check if you can hear yourself. If you can't,
> there is something wrong. If you can, lower the "Mic" channel to zero
> again so you won't hear yourself talking while chatting in-game.

This works

>
> - Check which key is set to use your voice chat in
> ~/.ut2004/System/User.ini. You can find it with 'grep =VoiceTalk
> .ut2004/System/User.ini'. If it isn't there, remember to set it in the
> game's control settings.

F=VoiceTalk
Like expected.

>
> - Lauch the game, join a dedicated server, and try to use your voice
> talk button. If you press it, the volume of the sounds around you should
> fade, so the game sounds won't be recorded by your microphone.

No go. I guess alsa is required.

>
> - Talk into the microphone. A bar should be visible at the left side
> of your screen, displaying the volume of your voice.

No bar.

>
> - Use the usual keyboard chat to ask people if they can hear you.

Can't (unless they just ignore me:->)
I guess the alsa drivers really are required, I'm glad to hear that
someone I trust reports it working in Linux. I'll stop telling people it
requires XP.

Thanks for taking the time,

>
>
> Hmm... maybe this is something for the FAQ :) 
>
> MeltDown

--
{AGUT}DeadMan
July 7, 2004 3:03:59 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

MeltDown enlightened us with:
> Not as far as I know. I can tell you what I did, though: [...]
> Hmm... maybe this is something for the FAQ :) 

Ok, that's stored at http://www.unrealtower.org/faq/164 :-D

MeltDown
--
!For all your UT99/2k3/2k4 questions visit UnrealTower's FAQ section:
! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
!Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.
July 7, 2004 3:40:30 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

{AGUT}DeadMan enlightened us with:
> I'm thinking this may be the prob, I seem to remember someone suggesting
> the alsa drivers (along with what seemed like an amazingly complicated
> install) to get chat working. I finally gave up, perhaps it is time to
> re-visit.

Well, if you use kernel 2.6, it's really simple since it's built-in.
All you need to do then is install alsa-utils and alsa-libs from your
distribution's installation medium.

> No go. I guess alsa is required.

Fact is, I recompiled my own openal.so library. Check out
http://icculus.org/~warp/ut2004/ for some more info. I use Gentoo, so
recompiling something is quite easy.

> I guess the alsa drivers really are required, I'm glad to hear that
> someone I trust reports it working in Linux.

I've been using Alsa for quite some time now, since it supports Dolby
Digital passthrough on my SB Audigy ;-)

> I'll stop telling people it requires XP.

Yes, please :-D

> Thanks for taking the time,

NP, that's what I'm here for!

MeltDown
--
!For all your UT99/2k3/2k4 questions visit UnrealTower's FAQ section:
! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
!Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.
!